Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can you hear the real fans sing?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
A lot of the newer stadiums have a severe lack of atmosphere. Unfortunately, it sounds like The Amex is heading that way. It is a little predictable unfortunately. Maybe people are used to not singing at home. There will also be a lot of new supporters who aren't used to the match day experience. It maybe that it is hard to co-ordinate singing in a big stadium. 1000 fans behind a goal at an away game with a low roof makes far more noise than 18000 in a brand new stadium. Then you have those who just don't care about singing. Another factor is that I find Brighton fans (especially on here) very reluctant to give new songs a try and will instantly put people down for trying things out. The criticism directed at NSK sometimes is bizarre. People slate others for trying hard to create an atmosphere then moan when there isn't one! I think this puts people off joining in songs. Another thing I don't understand is that there was so much hype on here with people saying there will be so much noise from the west/north stands. People saying they will be sitting with x amount of ex northstanders from the Goldstone and they will be singing all game in the WSU. So why isn't this happening? Where are they then? What is the problem? Please shed some light on this if you are one of those people! Unfortunately we are heading very quickly down the same path as the likes of Cardiff and Stoke and Brighton supporters will be moaning constantly about the atmosphere until the Withdean factor sets in - it becomes the norm to sit quietly and we just don't do noise at home because that's been decided by the people. There will be those who will try every game and get ridiculed by those who don't sing. The non-singers will justify this by saying they find the songs 'cringe-worthy' or 'too fast' or 'I hate singing albion so often' or 'we need new songs but not ones that others sing' or 'we need new songs but not ones that are bad.'
Now might be a good time to add that I haven't been to a game all season so I have no frame of reference and for what it's worth I thought we sounded very loud on the radio in the 2nd half!!!

Good post. The things you state are the main reason i've always preferred away games. Always decent noise from our away fans.

Richard Reynold's Haircut

grammatically poor
Oct 3, 2011
Peacehaven
It is not helped that the north stand kollective are intent on singing foreign shit they have seen on YouTube rather than chants about the team and players that people may actually join in with

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
It is not helped that the north stand kollective are intent on singing foreign shit they have seen on YouTube rather than chants about the team and players that people may actually join in with

Just about sums up the issue. People rubbishing others for having a go. I wouldn't be surprised if the NSK just gave up. Then people would complain about that!!! There are so many people who complain but I reckon do absolutely nothing to help the atmosphere. Then come on here and moan about others who try.

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Good post. The things you state are the main reason i've always preferred away games. Always decent noise from our away fans.

As mentioned, I haven't been to a game this season due to location and I will have to wait a little longer. I love noise at football and can't stand a lack of atmosphere. I have been jealous of others and excited for my first Amex experience, but reading through all this is taking that away!

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
I sit three seats of the end of the block and I've always stood up being at the AMEX. This idiot of a steward told me and others around to start sitting down, one bloke in front of me left after 15 mins. This distracted us from the game and made the atmosphere very shitty. I sat in the north stand to stand up, now I'm being told to sit down its a complete joke.

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
Just about sums up the issue. People rubbishing others for having a go. I wouldn't be surprised if the NSK just gave up. Then people would complain about that!!! There are so many people who complain but I reckon do absolutely nothing to help the atmosphere. Then come on here and moan about others who try.

This guy's a cock RCN. He does nothing but ridicule. He is exactly the sort of person you are describing. He's not the only one i'm afraid.

Seagull Sam

Sep 10, 2011
I sit three seats of the end of the block and I've always stood up being at the AMEX. This idiot of a steward told me and others around to start sitting down, one bloke in front of me left after 15 mins. This distracted us from the game and made the atmosphere very shitty. I sat in the north stand to stand up, now I'm being told to sit down its a complete joke.

You can still support the team though? The players didn't tell you to sit down!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
For whatever reasons it was a bit flat today. Maybe a goal would have got the crowd going again. Anyway let's make up for it against West Ham & make a right old racket.

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Yeah I support the team, thing is I like to stand up all game. We were arguing with the steward for around 20 minutes at the start. Meaning the atmosphere in the crowd was more focused on the problem with the steward than the actual football itself.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Honeymoon period is very much over now!

Thought the "Ultras" were supposed to be creating an atmosphere? So far all they've done is nick a song from Palace and occasionally ask people to stand up if they hate Palace.

They've gone from being embarrassing to every normal fan to even being an embarrassment to themselves!

and you've done what exactly?

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Alot of people are saying 'we needed a goal' but how about when we were 1-0 against Palace for 70 minutes? The atmosphere was dead bar the few minutes following the goal so we can hardly use that as an excuse. I worry at the simple lack of songs that aren't just your average 'alllbiionn' but actually include a string of more than five words. What about this nee magiko song, I didn't hear any of it sitting in the WSU?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here