Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can someone explain team cycling to me?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I know there's some keen cyclists here, so can someone explain how this team thing works?

All I keep hearing and reading is that the GB team are going to make sure Cavendish wins this gold medal. How does it all work?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Bit like a mini tour where the other three protect the sprinter, he gets to ride in their slip stream so he doesn't waste energy, however there is only one gold medal. Its really the ultimate unselfish event

Dec 29, 2011
Bit like a mini tour where the other three protect the sprinter, he gets to ride in their slip stream so he doesn't waste energy, however there is only one gold medal. Its really the ultimate unselfish event

If they can all ride at the same pace without a slip stream, surely they're the better rides anyway?

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
Same as the tour de France all for one, one for all

Sep 7, 2011
shoreham
so its like a relay race where only the guy who runs the last leg and crosses the line gets a medal ?

D

Deleted member 18477

I believe the other three take it in turns to lead the four

This. And come just before the end, they're knackered and in no shape to sprint, where as Cav will have a burst of energy still which he'll use to take the gold hopefully!

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
so its like a relay race where only the guy who runs the last leg and crosses the line gets a medal ?

That's about right tucking in behing someone's slip stream make a massive difference to the amount of energy the teams sprinter will use ,all the other teams know if our boy is anywhere near the front with half a mile to go he will rip them apart ,they will try to open the race up early and stay in front

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Someone made the comparison to the football team ethic on the TdF thread. Only some people are capable of doing some jobs, our goal scorer is Cavendish but our best player is Wiggins but the work is done behind the scenes by Millar Stannard and Froome.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Someone made the comparison to the football team ethic on the TdF thread. Only some people are capable of doing some jobs, our goal scorer is Cavendish but our best player is Wiggins but the work is done behind the scenes by Millar Stannard and Froome.

Although if the football team win they all get gold medals

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester

that makes sense, I think Froome is a future Tour winner especially if he gets the help Wiggins got this year. Looking forward to the race today though, be good to start the games with a gold.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
There's the added dimension of cuts in council spending that have left potholes in the road. Avoiding a crash will be a good tactic.

I know that's probably said in jest, however, Surrey CC have re-surfaced the roads that make up the cycling race route.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
totally understand this for Tour De France where there is a team competition as well but seems strange when there is only three individual medals on offer.

Only a sprinter is likely to win today so they've got to ride for the sprinter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here