Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can Paul McCartney now please F*** off

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Totally wrong he is the greatest living musical artist that in British by a country mile

Eno?
Bowie?
Weller?
Waters?
Jagger?
Yorke?

All equally (if not more so for some them in IMHO) deserving of McCartney's place as (a) the greatest living artist in Britain and (b) able to deliver a better end to last night's shindig.

OK, perhaps not Jagger...

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
The mess up at the start was NOT Macca's fault. There is a 4 second broadcast delay - anyone who's worked in live TV will know what I'm on about. And someone had bypassed the broadcast audio at first/forgotten to switch to the live stage audio.

Am I misunderstanding the 4 second delay thing? Surely that would mean we would be hearing things 4 seconds behind the visuals. It really looked to me that they were hearing the audio ahead of what was being sung/played in the stadium. There was obvious confusion on stage - check out the drummer looking around to the crew.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I was just thinking that it was time to go to bed when McCartney came on, that decided it, I went!

They would have been better off getting a few well known musicians on to do a Queen jam session with someone like George Michael on vocals. That would have rocked the place and been a bit more recent. Most of the athletes weren't even alive when the Beatles split up.

It's like the old saying "The opera aint over until the fat lady sings", but substitute party for opera and McCartney for fat lady.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
He shags women with one leg, for that he deserves some respect.

Other than that he can f*** right off!.

You could argue he got f***ed over by a woman with one leg!!!

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
He is one of the greatest song writers of all time. Look at the Beatles songs he wrote, timeless and incredible.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
There are some real self righteous miserable bastards on this forum.

If I had a number one hit single for everytime you or someone else has posted that on here I'd have a significant back catalogue of pop-tastic tunes. This is NSC, we're not supposed to talk sense or get along - think of us as The Fab Four (Thousand), the post starter Pevenseagull as Yoko Ono, Beach Hut as Paul McCartney, Das Reich as John Lennon etc.

The love you take is equal to the love you make LondonBlue

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This thread is ridiculous and underpins something fundementally wrong in the british psyche. We moan that we dont have any success but refuse to celebrate the things that we can be proud of as a nation.

Last night reinforced the 'great' in 'great britain'. There cant be many countries that can claim to have had as much influence on popular culture....great muscicians, writers, inventors etc yet some people cant resist the opportunity to have a pop at someone.

Paul McCartney is 70 years old for F**ks sake, its hardly surprising that his voise is a bit wobbly but he deserves some respect for being part of the greatest band of all time and writing some of the most recognisable and influential songs of the past 50 years.

He has sales of 100 million albums, 100 million singles, and a writer's credit on forty-three songs that have sold over one million copies each. 91 reached the Top 10 and 33 made it to number 1. As a result he has been described by Guinness World Records as "the Most Successful Composer and Recording Artist of All Time".

Some of you might not like his music but his success and influence should be celebrated rather than ridiculed.
All very true. I'm not going to join in with the McCartney bashing, but the real issue is why he is still wheeled out for these occasions. He is, as you say, 70 years old, and is not relevant to popular culture as an individual, and hasn't been since the mid 1980s.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Totally wrong he is the greatest living musical artist that in British by a country mile

What utter drivel.

@Half Time Pies you are obviously right about his place in pop music history... but that doesn't make it a good idea to have him live on stage as the closing act... they could have just expanded on the Beatles / 60's section of the show a bit to show that.

I would rather have had Black Lace performing their all-time classic Agadoo at the end... at least it would have been fun, rather than cringe-worthy.

Last edited:

Superseagull69

May 8, 2010
MEDWAY
Eno?
Bowie?
Weller?
Waters?
Jagger?
Yorke?

All equally (if not more so for some them in IMHO) deserving of McCartney's place as (a) the greatest living artist in Britain and (b) able to deliver a better end to last night's shindig.

OK, perhaps not Jagger...

WOW. Your not seriously trying to say any of those are a better Artist than Paul McCartney The facts speak for themselves :facepalm:

Whether or not he should of Headlined is debatable depending on your individual Tastes BUT Bowie Seriously ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He just about got away with it last night but his voice isn't really up to it anymore. That said, he's a living legend and I can't say a bad word against him. Some people need to listen to rubber soul and revolver, and then maybe get some context about precisely what that man achieved.

Jul 20, 2003
This thread is ridiculous and underpins something fundementally wrong in the british psyche. We moan that we dont have any success but refuse to celebrate the things that we can be proud of as a nation.

Only the USA has produced more Nobel Prize winners than the U.K.

I am very f***ing proud of that

that said, none of our Nobel laureates wrote 'Lovely Rita, Meter Maid', so I am clearly a moron.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here