I Saw Her Standing There
Let It Be
Eleanor Rigby
She's Leaving Home
Another Girl
You Won't See Me
The Night Before

etc

Yeah. The bloke's a c*nt. Stick him in a home.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
and take Bruce Forsyth with you !!

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
It's a shame were embarrassed in this country of our heroes
How can Mcartney be so ridiculed ok so he wrote "The Frog chorus & mull of kintyre "
But he did write" spies like us " & "Ebony & ivory " shame on you , shame on you

Nobody really disputes his ability to pen a tune, but he has no voice anymore.... out to pasture methinks.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Totally wrong he is the greatest living musical artist that in British by a country mile

Muhammed Ali was the greatest living boxer in his day and it was really good to see him last night.......but you wouldn't put him in a boxing ring to fight.

Likewise Paul McCartney.......very good in his day, but I don't expect to see him sing/perform when he is so poor with his vocals etc.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Muhammed Ali was the greatest living boxer in his day and it was really good to see him last night.......but you wouldn't put him in a boxing ring to fight.

Likewise Paul McCartney.......very good in his day, but I don't expect to see him sing/perform when he is so poor with his vocals etc.
RE : Ali , it was sad to see how much he's deteriorated in the last few years. I mean it's always great to see all the sporting heroes on nights like that but that couldn't have been the wisest move.

McCartney , agree his voice wasn't great last night BUT Hey Jude is an absolute anthem you can't help to join in with , The Beatles are a major bit of GB history - it had to happen really.

Brighton TID

Jul 24, 2005
Horsham
The Beatles have died in the wrong order

On paper, closing the ceremony with one of the greatest British songs by the greatest British group, sung by one of the greatest British rock stars in the world ever seemed like a good idea. However, the performance fell ever so slightly on it's arse.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Yesterday
Hey Jude
Helter Skelter
Blackbird
Things We Said Today
For No One
Got To Get You Into My Life
Paperback Writer
I Saw Her Standing There
Let It Be
Eleanor Rigby
She's Leaving Home
Another Girl
You Won't See Me
The Night Before

etc

Yeah. The bloke's a c*nt. Stick him in a home.

Exactly!!! A couple of those are average songs but the rest are awful by modern standards!!! I know they were ahead of their time and we wouldn't have the decent stuff since if they hadn't come first so I am forever grateful! But time to move on jeepers!!

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Will always be eternally proud that the Beatles were English. The white album is still one of my favourite albums ever, live and let die one of the best songs ever even though have heard it a serious amount of times. I could sit and watch him forever.
He's also a Sussex resident isn't he?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Surely Ray Davies singing Waterloo Sunset(a song better suited to London and sung by a Londoner) would have been a far superior choice for end song.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
RE : Ali , it was sad to see how much he's deteriorated in the last few years. I mean it's always great to see all the sporting heroes on nights like that but that couldn't have been the wisest move.

McCartney , agree his voice wasn't great last night BUT Hey Jude is an absolute anthem you can't help to join in with , The Beatles are a major bit of GB history - it had to happen really.

Of all the posts I have read about last night and peoples thoughts etc etc, this has to be the one I most agree with 100% :thumbsup:

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
He shags women with one leg, for that he deserves some respect.

Other than that he can f*** right off!.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
He's a total disgrace to the country.

Washed-up old has-been (or arguably a never-was), still cashing in on the success of others years after his sell-by date. His voice is incredibly bad. He can't hit any notes above the sort of range even a totally unskilled clown like me has. How on Earth can we put him up as a headline act in our own Olympic ceremony? What an embarrassment. And his hair, for a man who must be about 70, is just farcical. Someone f*** him off to an old people's home asap. He'll still be dining out on Hey Jude in 20 years' time if we're not careful. Also, for the supposedly wonderful array of songs the Beatles supposedly have, he always has to turn to Hey Jude. Boring.

It's very harsh - but fair. Hey Jude is right down the bottom of the Beatles back catalogue in my opinion.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
This thread is ridiculous and underpins something fundementally wrong in the british psyche. We moan that we dont have any success but refuse to celebrate the things that we can be proud of as a nation.

Last night reinforced the 'great' in 'great britain'. There cant be many countries that can claim to have had as much influence on popular culture....great muscicians, writers, inventors etc yet some people cant resist the opportunity to have a pop at someone.

Paul McCartney is 70 years old for F**ks sake, its hardly surprising that his voise is a bit wobbly but he deserves some respect for being part of the greatest band of all time and writing some of the most recognisable and influential songs of the past 50 years.

He has sales of 100 million albums, 100 million singles, and a writer's credit on forty-three songs that have sold over one million copies each. 91 reached the Top 10 and 33 made it to number 1. As a result he has been described by Guinness World Records as "the Most Successful Composer and Recording Artist of All Time".

Some of you might not like his music but his success and influence should be celebrated rather than ridiculed.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Paul McCartney's ace. I met him, Linda and their son James on Brighton Marina when I was living there as a kid, and he mistook my dad for John Thaw (they bore a passing resemblance back then) and started chatting to him as if they were already acquainted. This went on considerably longer than it should have, as my dad's name is actually John, and it took him a little while to figure out what had happened.

I mainly knew him from the Yellow Submarine feature-length cartoon (oh come on, I was six at the time!), so was well impressed.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Paul McCartney's ace. I met him,.

When my daughter was about 15 she was in an art gallery in London with some friends on a school trip. Paul McCartney was there with Heather, on being asked for an autograph he told my daughters 15 year old friend to *f*** off and leave him alone*.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here