Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can Paul McCartney now please F*** off

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
WOW. Your not seriously trying to say any of those are a better Artist than Paul McCartney The facts speak for themselves :facepalm:

Whether or not he should of Headlined is debatable depending on your individual Tastes BUT Bowie Seriously ???

mcartney has done f*** all of merit for years ......personally despise him for cashing in on the "christmas no.1" with mull of kinfuckintyre and the poxy frog song........i reckon linda wrote mostof his stuff for him after JL was bumped off..........each to their own obviously,as a "musical talent " Eno leaves him for dead.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Only the USA has produced more Nobel Prize winners than the U.K.

I am very f***ing proud of that

that said, none of our Nobel laureates wrote 'Lovely Rita, Meter Maid', so I am clearly a moron.

'Lovely Rita' off the album sgt. peppers lonely hearts club band? That would be one of the biggest selling and widley recognised as one of the best and most influential albums of all time.

McCartney wrote 6 songs off that album including the title track and co-wrote a day in the life. Nothing to be proud of then? :facepalm:

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
That whole post is just plain odd. Ok im no massive Beatles fan but Live and let die!!!!!!!!!!!!
Except for White album.

Yeah. I suppose they're like Marmite. Have had a discussion with many a person in a pub. Rolling Stones vs BEatles, who do you prefer. Most of the time the answer's the stones. I personally love the Beatles and see Paul McCartney as a god, but have heard a lot of people recently think he should just shut up shop. Quite surprised, but that's what makes life interesting that we all have different views on things. Be boring if we all thought the same thing. We'd be robots. ;)

greyseagull

Jul 1, 2012
West Worthing
One thing that struck me throughout the segment where some of our most famous songs were being played was a lack of Oasis.

We had - and I'm not disputing them, let me make this clear right now - The Who, Stones, Kinks, Bowie, Pistols, Winehouse, Muse, Queen, McCartney, Led Zep, Prodigy, Underworld, etc.

I know Oasis had their critics, as did many of the above, but surely they (Noel) created so many anthems and deserved a little bit of recognition at the event, especially with Noel's Union Jack branded guitar in Champagne Supernova.

I mean if Muse were featured.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah. I suppose they're like Marmite. Have had a discussion with many a person in a pub. Rolling Stones vs BEatles, who do you prefer. Most of the time the answer's the stones. I personally love the Beatles and see Paul McCartney as a god, but have heard a lot of people recently think he should just shut up shop. Quite surprised, but that's what makes life interesting that we all have different views on things. Be boring if we all thought the same thing. We'd be robots. ;)

I also loved and still love plenty of Beatles music but McCartney has been trading off it for 40 years now. He has written nothing groundbreaking or even particularly good since Band on the Run. Yet he still gets trundled out to top the bill. I feel the same way about the Stones and the Who too but at least they are being watched by people who choose to buy tickets to watch old men decades past their sell by dates do Dad at a wedding rock .

Somebody with a future should have topped the bill imo :shrug:

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I also loved and still love plenty of Beatles music but McCartney has been trading of it for 40 years now. He has written nothing groundbreaking or even particularly good since Band on the Run. Yet he still gets trundled out to top the bill. I feel the same way about the Stones and the Who too but at least they are being watched by people who choose to buy tickets to watch old men decades past their sell by dates do Dad at a wedding rock .

Somebody with a future should have topped the bill imo :shrug:

I think they would have been looking for a British artist with global (and particularly US) appeal. On that basis take your pick from Coldplay, Adele or One Direction....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think they would have been looking for a British artist with global (and particularly US) appeal. On that basis take your pick from Coldplay, Adele or One Direction....

Shoot me down ( and no doubt I will be) but Coldplay would have been SOOOOOO much better than old man McCartney. I'd have preferred Adele too.

I presume you threw One Direction in as a joke??

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Shoot me down ( and no doubt I will be) but Coldplay would have been SOOOOOO much better than old man McCartney. I'd have preferred Adele too.

I presume you threw One Direction in as a joke??

No, as a fact, One Direction are hugely succesful around the world with a US number one album.

Suppose it depends on what type of music you are in to, never going to please everyone...

Big Jim

Big Jim
Feb 19, 2007
Personally, I would like to see Paul McCartney even if he was in a wheel chair as he's an English Icon and hero to me, but I also think that I've heard the anti argument getting stronger. Maybe it is time for him to call it a day as clearly a lot of people think he should (have heard it elsewhere also). Would be a sad day for me IMHO though.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
No, as a fact, One Direction are hugely succesful around the world with a US number one album.

Suppose it depends on what type of music you are in to, never going to please everyone...

But they wouldn't be allowed to stay up that late at night surely

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
WOW. Your not seriously trying to say any of those are a better Artist than Paul McCartney The facts speak for themselves :facepalm:

Whether or not he should of Headlined is debatable depending on your individual Tastes BUT Bowie Seriously ???

McCartney as a Beatle - pretty much uncontested with the exceptions of contemporary flourishes by Ray Davies or Jagger. And he had the benefit of having John Lennon in the band.
McCartney in Wings - good but not ground breaking
McCartney since Wings - yawn.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Beatles (Revolution - one of the best songs ever written) and loads of respect for the man but to suggest he is the greatest living artist in Britain right now is overstating it I would suggest. He's trading on a truly exceptional period of his musical career which ended 40 years ago.

OK, Bowie from the mid 80s onwards has a pretty shocking record but his output in the 70s was way better than McCartney's at that time.

Think of it in terms of the greatest living British football player... Gazza? Lineker? Rooney? Giggs? Owen? Bobby Charlton? Beckham? Savage? (ok that is a joke). Who's the greatest? And don't just say Charlton 'cos he was in the world cup winning team - he had Geoff Hurst in the team.

I personally would put Brian Eno above McCartney. He probably could have sung Hey Jude better than McCartney did as well ;-)

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Having not seen the concert or broadcast, I should shut up. However, as a Macca fan, I will state that I feel he has not made a good album since Flaming Pie, and that was in '97, I think.

Also he was on Radio 2 the other week in a live broadcast, and yes his voice, which has never been the strongest, had gone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here