Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Can I Get A...?" English people Talking and Behaving Like Yanks

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Got to love a thread where people in the UK say the Yanks don't speak correctly - and then constantly refer to the USA as 'America'.

America is a continent, boys and girls, not a country. We often divide it into North, South and Central America.

North America includes Canada old chap.

I also recall from watching the two presidential candidates recently that they constantly refer to America (eg "God Bless America"). Are they sending their felicitations to the whole continent then?

Here is the opening paragraph of Obama's victory speech - no wonder he was chuffed, he seems to be President of the whole damn place!

"If there is anyone out there who still doubts that America is a place where all things are possible, who still wonders if the dream of our founders is alive in our time, who still questions the power of our democracy, tonight is your answer."

From his third paragraph "Americans who sent a message to the world that we have never been just a collection of individuals or a collection of red states and blue states." - indeed, also Bolivia, Argentina etc etc.

I could go on but I've made my point Juan. Don't blame us for calling it America. Americans do it.

The Lemming Stomper

Under the flag
Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
It's interesting to see the way the yanks deal with team sports too...

If (by some miracle) the albion were 2-0 up the yanks would say 'Brighton IS 2-0 up

whereas we would say Brighton ARE 2-0 up...

what does this tell us???

f*** knows!! only that maybe the Americans think of the team as a singular unit whereas we think of the team as a collection of individuals. Hence our obsession with individual player ratings etc.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Cor, bundle of fun these expats in the states arn't they

:rolleyes:

dont take the micky out of America mate or they will be right onto you. i have discovered this to my cost. Ellis Island must be doing overtime processing poor dishevelled migrants fleeing the grinding poverty of 21st century Sussex. They are throwing their weight behind their adopted homeland and I for one applaud that. They dare to dream while we wallow in squalor. fair play to them.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
dont take the micky out of America mate or they will be right onto you. i have discovered this to my cost. Ellis Island must be doing overtime processing poor dishevelled migrants fleeing the grinding poverty of 21st century Sussex. They are throwing their weight behind their adopted homeland and I for one applaud that. They dare to dream while we wallow in squalor. fair play to them.

Clearly the linguistic differences between us and them is a veritable MINEFIELD and something of a touchy subject. I really had no idea that the mere mention of the word "like" being overly used in an alternative context at the beginning of every sentence over there would provoke a barrage of invective and several essays on 17th century paganism linked to the origins of the prussian empire and its predominant latin influences on the english language.

I'll consider myself told, and steer clear in future.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
And by the way, English isn't "our" language. The English language that is used in England today is derived from Latin, Germanic and various Nordic influences. It has changed since people started using it, read The Canterbury Tales, and it will change as cultures converge in the future. If you want to start an anti-septic rant, then bring it on, or reuse the dozens that have been started over the years of NSC. Trust me, the yanks could care less if you think they are stupid wankers.
as we could your views :lolol:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge

We're only wallowing in squalor, because the United States of American (w)bankers lent money to customers without the income to make payments on the loans. :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here