Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Can I Get A...?" English people Talking and Behaving Like Yanks

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Or too successful, too mature, too polite or too busy to give a toss. I'm pretty sure the Yanks or anyone else shouldn't care about utter bollox.

Have a nice day.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Or too successful, too mature, too polite or too busy to give a toss. I'm pretty sure the Yanks or anyone else shouldn't care about utter bollox.

Have a nice day.

you have entirely missed the point of the rant, it is about English people being pricks. Americans can do what the f*** they like. Do try to keep up 007.

vitusvivi

May 30, 2008
the worst is when someone says how you doing... then some idiot replies i'm doing good... WHAT THE f***?!??!?!?!?!!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
As another Brit living in the States I’d have to agree with Marlton and Hove Albion. The English seem to have this superior attitude when it comes to linguistic matters and that Johnny Foreigner should play by their rules. The Americans say / spell things one way whilst the Brits do it another way. At the end of the day both sides understand each other. Nobody’s right / nobody’s wrong. Simple really.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Main Entry: prick
Pronunciation: \ˈprik\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English prikke, from Old English prica; akin to Middle Dutch pric prick
Date: before 12th century
1: a mark or shallow hole made by a pointed instrument
2 a: a pointed instrument or weapon b: a sharp projecting organ or part
3: an instance of pricking or the sensation of being pricked: as a: a nagging or sharp feeling of remorse, regret, or sorrow b: a slight sharply localized discomfort <the prick of a needle>
4usually vulgar : penis
5usually vulgar : a spiteful or contemptible man often having some authority

Apparently Prick is of Dutch origin.....Lets see if Ajax fans are on their message board criticizing the English for calling people Pricks?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And by the way, English isn't "our" language. The English language that is used in England today is derived from Latin, Germanic and various Nordic influences. It has changed since people started using it, read The Canterbury Tales, and it will change as cultures converge in the future. If you want to start an anti-septic rant, then bring it on, or reuse the dozens that have been started over the years of NSC. Trust me, the yanks could care less if you think they are stupid wankers.

About 45% of it is.

Much of the rest of it has its roots in the language known as 'Old English.' Also, many words have simply been 'invented'. Shakespeare, for example, was responsible for quite a lot, from which came conjugation and various appropriations.

But this is not the point. The point originally being made is that not only is 'Can I get...' a vulgar Americanism, it is also grammatically incorrect in the context of asking to be served something.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Main Entry: prick
Pronunciation: \ˈprik\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English prikke, from Old English prica; akin to Middle Dutch pric prick
Date: before 12th century
1: a mark or shallow hole made by a pointed instrument
2 a: a pointed instrument or weapon b: a sharp projecting organ or part
3: an instance of pricking or the sensation of being pricked: as a: a nagging or sharp feeling of remorse, regret, or sorrow b: a slight sharply localized discomfort <the prick of a needle>
4usually vulgar : penis
5usually vulgar : a spiteful or contemptible man often having some authority

Apparently Prick is of Dutch origin.....Lets see if Ajax fans are on their message board criticizing the English for calling people Pricks?

Does your definition say that? How old is Old English in comparison to Middle Dutch?

In fact, the definition merely states it's similar to Dutch, while stating the origin is, in fact, Old English.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Grammar. You must be taking the piss. Spent any time in Newcastle, Liverpool, East London, Birmingham, Glasgow? Sit at the bar and try to pick out ANYTHING that resembles correct grammar.

People in glass houses.....ANYWAY WHO f***ing CARES. I hope we are able to give the Pool a good slapping tonight.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Marlton / Lyndhurst

If we want to be puerile, insulting, superior and rude about our American cousins with their mangled english vernacular and irritating mannerisms, then we will. This is NSC. Ranting is healthy. Its the law.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Grammar. You must be taking the piss. Spent any time in Newcastle, Liverpool, East London, Birmingham, Glasgow? Sit at the bar and try to pick out ANYTHING that resembles correct grammar.

People in glass houses.....ANYWAY WHO f***ing CARES. I hope we are able to give the Pool a good slapping tonight.

What are you on about?

Why should I 'sit at a bar' purely to listen to regional accents and dialects with a view to hearing incorrect grammar merely in order to prove a point that wasn't being made?

:thud:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
What are you on about?

Why should I 'sit at a bar' purely to listen to regional accents and dialects with a view to hearing incorrect grammar merely in order to prove a point that wasn't being made?

:thud:

you should also go on Ajax websites apparently to see if they are annoyed. There is so much to do on this, I am getting right on it now.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Patron - "Giz a dog"
Bartender - Provides a cold bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale and a Half Pint Glass to said patron in the Newcastle Area.

Why doesn't that piss you off? Because it is common dialogue in Newcastle vs. the Bronx?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Patron - "Giz a dog"
Bartender - Provides a cold bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale and a Half Pint Glass to said patron in the Newcastle Area.

Why doesn't that piss you off? Because it is common dialogue in Newcastle vs. the Bronx?

Exactly.

Would you care at all if you did not live in America? Do you get extra points toward your residency permit if you can prove you have backed them up on an English football website or something.

For the last time. It's about English people moronically copying what they have heard on Friends. That is not language evolving, it is about people being brain dead morons. Don't take it so personally just because you jumped ship. Why does it bother you you don't even live here.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
The whole point about this thread is to have a pop at people in the UK who soak up Americanisms like sponge with no discernible discrimination. Of course language evolves - but some phrases jar. It's always happened and it always will - I guessing this was meant to be a fairly light-hearted thread - get off your high horses and calm down everyone.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
Sorry that you can't see the irony or understand the historical significance that this is exactly what has happened to the "English" language as used by the "English" for at least 10 centuries. Multiple generations of brain dead morons = the language being used today. It just happened that those multiple generations of brain dead morons were military, tradesman and diplomats who brought back expressions that found there way into the lingo.

Cheers (origin Old French)

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Thank God language has evolved.........

Claudio from 'Much Ado About Nothing'

"O, what men dare do! What men may do! What men daily
do, not knowing what they do!"

What the f*** is that bloke on about.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Sorry that you can't see the irony or understand the historical significance that this is exactly what has happened to the "English" language as used by the "English" for at least 10 centuries. Multiple generations of brain dead morons = the language being used today. It just happened that those multiple generations of brain dead morons were military, tradesman and diplomats who brought back expressions that found there way into the lingo.

Cheers (origin Old French)

yes you are right I am an absolute f***ing idiot who has no concept of that. I thought we went straight from a few hairy people on the Downs going ug ug ug, to James Alexander Gordon. Thanks for clearing that up Paul Revere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Way to go Spanish! You sure as hell are putting on a whoopin' on his sorry dumb ass!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here