Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Can I Get A...?" English people Talking and Behaving Like Yanks

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
FFS get a life. If language did not evolve then we would all go around asking 'How art thou' etc. Haven't you anything more important to get annoyed with? I'm sure you will find something in this post to complain about.

Woohoo! You da man :clap2:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
FFS get a life. If language did not evolve then we would all go around asking 'How art thou' etc. Haven't you anything more important to get annoyed with? I'm sure you will find something in this post to complain about.

no hes 1000% right , its a f***ing annoying affectation that pisses me off.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Even more annoying than Yank expressions are the Get A Life police that tell you off every time you talk about something they aren't interested in - but they're interested enough to post on a thread telling you what a crap human you are. Feck off if you don't like it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Sadly, you get plenty of this 'Can I GET' bollocks from the kids at Lewes Old Grammar School when they queue in front of you at the sandwich shop.

I think someone should write to the parents who send their kids to that school and inform them that their English language lessons are completely ineffective, and that they ought to be able to demand a refund.

Oh, and the students who get off the train at Falmer are no better. f*** me, and these people are supposedly the intellectual cream of our future generation...

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Chillax and Get with the Program ! The UK is already the 51st state with trick or treat, muffins, Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition etc – July 4 and Thanksgiving cant be far behind.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
go figure & do the math, surely two phrases which supposedley mean the same, both grammatical bollocks.
Go and figure it out there is an s at the end of maths .....f***ing yanks they want shooting.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
It is all down to changing times

PERIOD.

(now that is one word that gets right on my raving titties!!!)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Why do yanks call their trousers / jeans PANTS ?
Why is it when an american is PISSED he's not drunk, just annoyed ?
Why does everyone on the west coast end every sentence in an upward tone, making everthing sound like a question ? Or australian ?

No wonder they all get shot in schools. Annoying twunts.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
As a limey stuck here for over 20 years, it strikes me as a very strange rant. The "English" language isn't a stable and monolithic set of agreed conventions. Regional nuances effectively create multiple forms of the language and your annoyance is clearly more an anti-American outburst, than a argument that Americans are ruining the "English" language. After three hundred years of colonization and enforcing our language on those colonies, there are dozens of "English" languages, South African, Nigerian, Indian, Canadian, Australian etc etc.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think the reasoning behind "can I get" is that "can I have" is interpreted by Yanks as wanting whatever it is you are asking for, for free.

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
And by the way, English isn't "our" language. The English language that is used in England today is derived from Latin, Germanic and various Nordic influences. It has changed since people started using it, read The Canterbury Tales, and it will change as cultures converge in the future. If you want to start an anti-septic rant, then bring it on, or reuse the dozens that have been started over the years of NSC. Trust me, the yanks could care less if you think they are stupid wankers.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
thats because the stupid wankers are too thick to realise

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here