Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone suggest a good book to read?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I have to read some really crap ones for an english module I am doing and need some relief from feminist crap. Anyone know any books they would recomend?

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
I've just finished "Rich Deserts and the Captain's Thin" by Margaret Forster, which is about the history of the biscuit industry in Carlisle. It's genuinely more interesting than it sounds.

However I appreciate you might be after something fictional, so I can most strongly advocate "The House of Sleep" by Jonathan Coe, or "Amsterdam" by Ian McEwan (who's written loads of good novels), or anything by David Lodge (who's written even more. They're all about students and sex and catholicism and guilt.)

Gull Downunder

Jul 7, 2003
Melbourne
"The Day My Bum Went Psycho" by Andy Griffiths. My kids love it anyway!
:lolol:

Just one review: "Griffiths' fun gross-out adventure novel follows Zack Freeman, who awakens to see his rear end leaping out the window to lead a bum rally. Zack's butt urges bums to "assume our rightful positions on top of the neck."

I know some people like this!

:p

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Heather Has Two Mommies by Lesl ea Newman

When Heather goes to playgroup, at first she feels bad because she has two mothers and no father, but then she learns that there are lots of different kinds of families and the most important thing is that all the people love each other.

or

I Wish Daddy Didn't Drink So Much by Judith Vigna

Her father's drinking problem threatens to ruin the Christmas holidays for Lisa and her family until her mother and a sympathetic neighbor help Lisa gain insight into her father's alcohol abuse.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not sure I can compete with "The Day My Bum Went Psycho", but if you're looking for a non-fictional football book, you'd do well to find anything that surpasses "All Played Out" by Pete Davies.

As far as fiction goes, I am an unashamed addict of Wilbur Smith. A Time to Die is as fine an action-adventure as you'll ever read. Or if you fancy a bit of ancient Egypt, River God (and its follow-ups) are absolutely epic.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
For modern stuff, would agree with Clown Of Pevensey Bay whole-heartedly. . .
Big fan of Jonathan Coe - Rotter's Club funnier (and enjoyed references from my time living in Birmingham), House Of Sleep more moving, but both very readable.
David Lodge very good for English students seeking bit of light relief - flatters your knowledge of literary theory while being, at heart, mostly jokes about shagging. . .
And Ian McEwan - lovely, flowing style, plenty of twists which pull you in rather than just seem there for a twist's sake - liked Amsterdam and Enduring Love, but favourite is Atonement - pretty straightforward story for the first half of the book, then lurches into real horror and heart-rending stuff in the Second World War second half. . . Very moving.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
I have to say I'm a tad surprised that journalist school only requires people to take an English "module". Back in the dark ages, learning "journalism" often came AFTER the acquisition of an English "degree"!

Anyway, if you want some relief from all that tiring "feminist crap", try The Road to McCarthy by Pete McCarthy or, for something with added football, A Season With Verona by Tim Parks.

Or a Viz Annual.

Last edited:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Mark Haddon's superb ' The curious incident of the dog in the night time; - I have read it 3 times already, quite simply one of the best books ever written IMHO

Also agree with Eats, shoots and leaves as an interesting read.

Gull Downunder

Jul 7, 2003
Melbourne
On a serious note I like most of Robert Ludlums stuff, and the Earth's Children's Series by Jean M. Auel; Clan of the Cave Bear; The Valley of the Horses; The Mammoth Hunters and The Shelters of Stone always kept me out of trouble.

On a less serious note anything by Tom Sharpe is worth a read if you don't mind a bit of farce and a good laugh.

"Tom Sharpe was born in 1928 and educated at Lancing College (maybe a closet Albion supporter!) and at Pembroke College, Cambridge. He did his Nation Service in the Marines before going to South Africa in 1951, where he did social work before teaching in Natal. He had a photographic studio in Pietermaritzburg from 1957 until 1961, when he was deported. From 1963 to 1972 he was a lecturer in History at the Cambridge College of Arts and Technology."

The Throwback is sheer comic genius and the rest are just bloody brilliant. For more information follow the link: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/7745/sharpe.htm :lolol:

45 by Bill Drummond (ex-KLF) was the coolest book I've read recently. It really defies description, it's a memoir, or a book about the music industry, or a book about modern art, or a book about the male menopause......dunno, all those things.

If you want a combination of journalism and laughs, then Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken, the Saturday Night Live comedian, is brilliant in destroying Murdoch in the USA.

joannadandy

Mar 10, 2004
Minnesota USA
Three fun light hearted reads I have come across lately...
1. Me Talk Pretty One Day - David Sedaris, light hearted romp. Plenty of short stories that had me laughing my butt off.
2. Take the Canoli - Sarah Vowel, Another short story collection by a very bright young lady who has plenty of insight on culture, pop culture in particular. A laugh out loud funny book.
3. Join Me - Danny Wallace, the true story of how to start a cult...er I mean collective. I haven't finished it yet, but I find it hillarious.

Just some fluffy reads I have enjoyed...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here