Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone suggest a good book to read?

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
I like non-fiction. The best books I have read recently are A Season With Verona by Tim Parks - an excellent account of his experience of following Hellas around Serie A. Also Outposts by Simon Winchester - a look at the remaining parts of the British Empire. Finally Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser - I'm not sure you would eat at McDonalds again! An excellent insight into the fast food industry

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Recent reads include...

Mark Haddon's ' The curious incident of the dog in the night time' - interesting, amusing. but rather uninspiring. ***

'Tomorrow to be Brave' Susan Travers - was fantastic account of the tales during the war in Africa - and the French foreign legion. Definitely worth a read. *****

'The Life of Pi' curious, atmospheric start - rather bizarre attempt to stretch your credulity - OK. ****

Just started 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks which promises to be challenging but has great write-ups!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Are you Dave Gorman? - Dave Gorman & Danny Wallace ***
Dave Gorman's Gogglewhack Adventure - Dave Gorman ****
Join Me - Danny Wallace ****
Round Ireland with a Fridge - Tony Hawks *****
Playing the Moldovans at Tennis - Tony Hawks ****1/2
One Hit Wonderland - Tony Hawks ***1/2

You will piss yourself!:lolol:

Last edited:

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
Repugnant Toad said:

Round Ireland with a Fridge - Tony Hawks *****
Playing the Moldovans at Tennis - Tony Hawks ****1/2
One Hit Wonderland - Tony Hawks ***1/2

You will piss yourself!:lolol:

Tony Hawks' books are brilliant, all three of them though I would agree with repugnant toad's order of merit for them.
That man shoudl make more stupid bets and write books about. I love 'em.

Also read anything by Lawrence Donegan, also very funny.
He has written:
California Dreaming
Four Iron in the Soul
No News at Throat Lake

All of them are great.

timseagull

Oct 12, 2003
Mile Oak
The Rebus series by Rankin are great

Or for satire try Christopher Brookmyre

Just started Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy which is bizare

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
SussexSpur said:
but favourite is Atonement - pretty straightforward story for the first half of the book, then lurches into real horror and heart-rending stuff in the Second World War second half. . . Very moving.

That is one of the books I am having to read. May well stick with it as I am only just 30 pages in and reading about a girl putting on a play.

I am studying a degree Roz, but not in English Lit, but I am doing one of my mdoules in English as a free elective.

Have read a lot of those mentioned, especially enjoyed 'Birdsong'..though not sure I could manage 'Watership Down' because the film makes me cry.

Last edited:

'King of the World' by David Remnick.

With your journalist tendancies you will love it. Its Mohammed Ali's story of self promotion and creation, how he changed peoples views on the black man. Amazing.

Remnick won the Pulitzer for it. Read it.

mk_bha

Jul 14, 2003
after reading nearly every 60's / 70's sci-fi book (Alfred Bester r00ls) - i am now reading Banks Culture novels.

Player of Games by Banks is awesome.

Best book ever:
Gateway - Frederick Pohl.

f00kin awesome.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It's a strange question, Richie, what sort of books do you like reading? Fiction or non-fiction?

If fiction, humorous, thrillers, sci-fi, horror or what?

Perhaps you should have given us some authors that you liking reading and asked us to suggest similar writers.

However, all aspiring journalists should read George Orwell's collected journalism and essays (Penguin do a useful 4-volume set). Politics and the English language is absolutely essential - I even photocopied it once and gave it to my entire team of journos.

I'm more interested in the 'feminist crap' that you had to read - who could that be?

Oh, and Stumpy Tim, I'm sure I've mentioned this before, but Nicci French isn't a she but a they. 'She' is husband-and-wife team, Nicci Gerrard and Sean French.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here