Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Can anyone suggest a good book to read?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Richie Morris said:

I am studying a degree Roz, but not in English Lit, but I am doing one of my mdoules in English as a free elective.

No worries, Richie. It's just that most of us truly ancient hacks remember a time when "journalism" wasn't something you got a degree in! Or, for that matter, was an exclusively graduate profession. It was something generally taught by bitter experience and bad-tempered editors in dusty provincial newspaper offices. Oh the nostalgia....:D

I can only second the advice to read Orwell's Collected Essays if you haven't already. I'd also suggest Robert Tressell's "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists" as another book that has to be read at least once in a lifetime.

Richie Morris said:
Im not doing a 'journalism' degree. I am going to do a journalism NCTJ next year but only because it seems i have to

Yes indeed you do - it's the best pre-work training you get. Be grateful you can do it now in 20 weeks, it used to be the best part of a year. How's the shorthand coming along? Welcome to the surreal world of Oxdown, that fictional disaster zone for all aspiring journos.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Ah yes, Oxdown. You'll get the one about the helicopter crash involving the company director, and indeed the ice cream factory farm that burns down. You get extra points for saying that "flames licked the farm buildings".

Well at least I did.

SussexSpur

Jan 24, 2004
Finchley
And always, always, always mention Oxdown in the intro.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
The Gulag Archipelago-Alexander Solzhenitzyn ,not an" easy" read but the most moving and inspirational book I've ever read

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
Any books by John King are ace. He is a powerful writer and focuses mainly on social comment.

I recently finished Human Punk and am right at the end of White Trash and both are excellent books. This also goes with the Football Factory trilogy which is superb.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Worthing BHA

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
OT. The Creation Records Story: My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry for the Prize

The Creation Records Story: My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry for the Prize
David Cavanagh.

Great book!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

JAMC

Jul 5, 2003
Re: OT. The Creation Records Story: My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry for the Prize

JAMC said:
The Creation Records Story: My Magpie Eyes Are Hungry for the Prize
David Cavanagh.

Great book!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• oasis.jpg
    oasis.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 99

ziggy

Sep 19, 2003
Hastings
If you want a classic whith has you enthralled from the off then look no further than Charles Dickens' Great Expectations, I couldn't put that down and there are a couple of surprises near the end. But, if you want a damn good laugh from cover to cover then try Terry Pratchets "Guards Guards!" It's hillarious. Happy reading

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
sams dad said:
The Gulag Archipelago-Alexander Solzhenitzyn ,not an" easy" read but the most moving and inspirational book I've ever read

PUKKA PIES indeed. Those who enjoyed the Gulag Archipelago also enjoyed 'If This is a Man' by Primo Levi, another great book.

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
"Cider With Roadies" by Stuart Maconie. Given that you're into music and studying journalism it should be right up your street.

0091891159.02.LZZZZZZZ

Also, "Birdman" and "The Treatment" by Mo Hader are both very good psychological thrillers.

0553812653.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

0553812726.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here