Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to rid this board of infantile nicknames for other clubs.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Very disappointed with this mature approach.

Presumably Bry would not have approved of the Millwall DJ playing 'Living next door to Alice' ten minutes before kick-off at the New Den on Saturday, giving 15,000 people the chance to sing 'Who the f**k are Palace' very loudly several times. Outstanding work. I hope something similar can be done at Falmer.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Agree wholeheartedly, but isn't having a "rival" team in itself totally fourth form? So many football 'fans' these days seem so much more happy if their 'rival' loses than if their own team wins, which is tragic to the Nth degree. I really truly don't have any team I hate - maybe that's 'cause I is Charlton, and our rivalries - Palarse (sorry, Palace) and Jills (sorry, Gillingham) are synthetic rivalries both ways anyway - but hey, shouldn't you f***ing care about the team you support more than shitting your bed over teams you hate? I only care about Charlton 90%, Woking 4%, Brighton 4%, Lewes 1% and St Pauli 1%, and everyone else doesn't f***ing register at all (rather than being negatived). Am I weird? I think not. In fact, I think I'm great and I appoint myself the new GodOfAllEngland. *nods regally* *awaits crown* *awaits a long long time.......*

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Agree wholeheartedly, but isn't having a "rival" team in itself totally fourth form? So many football 'fans' these days seem so much more happy if their 'rival' loses than if their own team wins, which is tragic to the Nth degree. I really truly don't have any team I hate - maybe that's 'cause I is Charlton, and our rivalries - Palarse (sorry, Palace) and Jills (sorry, Gillingham) are synthetic rivalries both ways anyway - but hey, shouldn't you f***ing care about the team you support more than shitting your bed over teams you hate? I only care about Charlton 90%, Woking 4%, Brighton 4%, Lewes 1% and St Pauli 1%, and everyone else doesn't f***ing register at all (rather than being negatived). Am I weird? I think not. In fact, I think I'm great and I appoint myself the new GodOfAllEngland. *nods regally* *awaits crown* *awaits a long long time.......*

This. Apart from the last sentence.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Reckon some of you are missing the point a touch.

The original poster wasn't saying the nicknames are offensive or that anyone would get upset by them, or that people should never insult the opposition. Nor is it the "PC Police" (who only exist in tabloid newspaper myth anyway) trying to clean up football. Far from it: where would we be without some good old fashioned animosity or abuse towards the teams we loathe? I'm looking forward immensely to renewing hostility with Pompey next week and entertaining their knuckle dragging "best fans in the world:yawn:". I just don't plan to call them Portscum or Poopey in the process because I'm not eight years old.

It is merely that they're all just a bit...well...lame. For a grown adult to go around talking about Loo-ton or Twatford or Baaaardiff is little different to a kid shouting poo or wee because it's a little bit rude and therefore must be funny.

That is all. No need to get on your high horses about the sanitisation of football because that's not it at all. Relax, folks :wave:

I think you are missing the point Edna. If it was just a comment then fine... everyone has a right to say soemthing... but this is a CAMPAIGN that could result in BANNING.

That's different.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Then let me help you. There is, has, and only ever will be one "scum", and that is Crystal Palace. Any other reference to any other team as "the scum" is simply wrong, inferior in their scuminess if you will.

This

(And proud of it)

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I also think most of you are missing the point........I dont think the thread starter has said another word on this thread since his opening thread....:fishing: and even if he has...i still think he was :fishing: and what an excellant job you have done old boy :lolol:
He wasn't fishing, check post #111. And even if he was, so what? Although I disagree with him I think it's a valid point and it's produced a good, knockabout thread - I even got to say Poocastle! (A word I haven't used for many years). Besides I'm currently trying to work out how Jimbo's mind works which is proving quite interesting.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
He wasn't fishing, check post #111. And even if he was, so what? Although I disagree with him I think it's a valid point and it's produced a good, knockabout thread - I even got to say Poocastle! (A word I haven't used for many years). Besides I'm currently trying to work out how Jimbo's mind works which is proving quite interesting.

If you check out the timings of Bry's post (111) and mine, I did not see his post prior to posting mine, this sometimes happens when I am not paying attention to whats going on, I had not long got back from Exeter (or exshiter if that one is one you want to use in the future?) and was eating whilst posting, as a responsible person, I will ensure this does not happen again!

I think the smileys gave away how much seriousness i was giving to the fishing bit, so to answer your question, "What does it matter"...... it does'nt.

I am really pleased that NSC has given you the opportunity to use the word "Poocastle" I can only hope you get another chance to use it in the future, I have not copyrighted "Exshiter" so please feel free to add that to your list of words to use in the future.

As for the fact your trying to work out how another members mind works, good luck to you :thumbsup:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If you check out the timings of Bry's post (111) and mine, I did not see his post prior to posting mine, this sometimes happens when I am not paying attention to whats going on, I had not long got back from Exeter (or exshiter if that one is one you want to use in the future?) and was eating whilst posting, as a responsible person, I will ensure this does not happen again!

I think the smileys gave away how much seriousness i was giving to the fishing bit, so to answer your question, "What does it matter"...... it does'nt.

I am really pleased that NSC has given you the opportunity to use the word "Poocastle" I can only hope you get another chance to use it in the future, I have not copyrighted "Exshiter" so please feel free to add that to your list of words to use in the future.

As for the fact your trying to work out how another members mind works, good luck to you :thumbsup:
No need to explain yourself, I was only pointing something out. And as for another chance to use 'Poocastle' sadly I think those days are gone for good. When my (then) five year old son first got interested in football he became a Newcastle fan (this was during Keegan's first spell). Me referring to them as 'Poocastle' gave us both endless hours of amusement. Now he's 18 he doesn't find it funny any more.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You would be the last person ever, even......no I wont stoop to your level. Football league show's over. time for bed and cuddle up to my wife. You my friend enjoy the 4 walls of your bedroom and your link to the world ! And as the two ronnies always ended "Goodnight"

Wooosssshhhhhh :laugh:

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
Reckon some of you are missing the point a touch.

The original poster wasn't saying the nicknames are offensive or that anyone would get upset by them, or that people should never insult the opposition. Nor is it the "PC Police" (who only exist in tabloid newspaper myth anyway) trying to clean up football. Far from it: where would we be without some good old fashioned animosity or abuse towards the teams we loathe? I'm looking forward immensely to renewing hostility with Pompey next week and entertaining their knuckle dragging "best fans in the world:yawn:". I just don't plan to call them Portscum or Poopey in the process because I'm not eight years old.

It is merely that they're all just a bit...well...lame. For a grown adult to go around talking about Loo-ton or Twatford or Baaaardiff is little different to a kid shouting poo or wee because it's a little bit rude and therefore must be funny.

That is all. No need to get on your high horses about the sanitisation of football because that's not it at all. Relax, folks :wave:

Well I think you are missing the point, typing infantile references on an internet forum is a world away from using the terms in a real life conversation. I imagine most people occasionally type stuff on here they wouldn't necessarily say out loud to someone else in the real world, thats because it is a different form of communication and therefore different rules apply. People will often employ completely different personas when writing stuff as opposed to saying it out loud, hence why you have called yourself Edna Krabappel rather than used your real name, people will also similarly communicate in a completely different way when writing than talking so making references to a teams name on NSC is no big deal really and clearly makes some people giggle so let them continue.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I don't use those terms but I don't object to others doing so. They can be a bit boring simply because they appear to sum up an entirely forced antipathy towards some clubs.

I don't dislike Southampton or Orient or most clubs for that matter so names like Scum etc seem a bit pureile. I do strongly dislike Portsmouth and Leeds and other clubs that have dumped thier debt, but would rather use their name with carefully selected adjectives attached.

The closest I came to hating another side was Chesterfield a few years ago (and I still don't like them - in the same way that I vaguely dislike Hull because an ex left me for a bloke from Hull 25 years ago). Cheaterfield seemed an appropriate and accurate description for these cheats.

So use any name you like, but be aware that by using Scumhampton, Borient (unless they featured in a boring game), Palarse you diminish yourself, not the object of your slightly lazy opprobrium.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wooosssshhhhhh :laugh:
I've just been re-reading all this thread and I've come to the conclusion it's either a spoof account (a la bhadebenhams) or a good wind-up merchant (like Crodo used to be). So I think we've both been Jimbo'd!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here