Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Campaign to rid this board of infantile nicknames for other clubs.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
I've been Skipper long before computers were a fact of life. :shrug:

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Reckon the ban should be extended to use of NSC usernames anywhere other than tinternet. I swear I was once in the Brewery Tap when one apparently mature adult addressed two other apparently mature adults thus: 'Gerbil, can I introduce you to AJ's Love Monkey'. At that point I sincerely wished that one of the holes in the rotting floorboards would crumble even further and swallow me up :lol:

You see it at matches, they now label themselves as players names on the back of their shirts and they strut up and down the south stand running track like peacocks, its their 15 mins of fame, let them enjoy it ...they know who they are, I can name 2 others for a start, why oh why, get a life....Love the term t'internet, one of Peter Kays classics

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Right, I challenge every member on here to admit they have never joined in/started the "when I was just a little boy/girl" chant where we "shoot the Palace scum".

If anyone complaining about the use of the word on here has sung that song then they are just a hypocrite. We are adults and if anyone on here wants to use what ever name they want for another team its their choice.

At least it's football related unlike this "hardest creature 2011" shit that has come back yet again :angry: I thought games like Top Trumps and "My dads bigger than your dad" were confined to the playground. All the time mindless threads like that are allowed then I will call Palarse Palarse

Last edited:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I'm trying to find an insight into his mentality, if he's a young lad/girl and hasnt travelled up and down the country with our team, especially up North then fair play to that young person for speaking out in this land of free speech about something they feels strongly about. On the flip-side if like me you've visited most of the grounds all over the country, I'll think you'll find the banter on here is way, way nicer than we experience at away games. Simple point made, and as said before without banter football would be nothing
Eh? Now you've totally lost me. He was merely making the point that when thinking up derogatory names the word 'scum' gets used a lot (Portscum, Scumhampton, etc) and leaving aside whether it's infantile or not it is a bit unoriginal. He made the comment without prejudice, i.e. he wasn't using the term himself, merely making an observation. He wasn't having a rant or indulging in banter, just making a point. And the point is valid regardless of how old he is and whether he's been to one ground or a hundred and one grounds.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
The sort of crass, pathetic nicknames that you would never say out loud, because if you did you would be (rightly) assumed to have a mental age of about 14.

So if you would never use them in company, why use them on here? Really, why would you?

The sort of things I mean are Palarse, Manure, Scumhampton, Borient, Wet Sham, Stains, Spuds and probably countless others. Frankly, it's just embarrassing. In future, anyone using these and/or others should be banned immediately and permanently. (Unless of course they are aged 14 or under).

boring fart.get a life F.F.S.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Right, I challenge every member on here to admit they have never joined in/started the "when I was just a little boy/girl" chant where we "shoot the Palace scum".

If anyone complaining about the use of the word on here has sung that song then they are just a hypocrite. We are adults and if anyone on here wants to use what ever name they want for another team its their choice.

At least it's football related unlike this "hardest creature 2011" shit that has come back yet again :angry: I thought games like Top Trumps and "My dads bigger than your dad" were confined to the playground. All the time mindless threads like that are allowed then I will call Palarse Palarse

No, I just die a little inside every time it is sung.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Reckon some of you are missing the point a touch.

The original poster wasn't saying the nicknames are offensive or that anyone would get upset by them, or that people should never insult the opposition. Nor is it the "PC Police" (who only exist in tabloid newspaper myth anyway) trying to clean up football. Far from it: where would we be without some good old fashioned animosity or abuse towards the teams we loathe? I'm looking forward immensely to renewing hostility with Pompey next week and entertaining their knuckle dragging "best fans in the world:yawn:". I just don't plan to call them Portscum or Poopey in the process because I'm not eight years old.

It is merely that they're all just a bit...well...lame. For a grown adult to go around talking about Loo-ton or Twatford or Baaaardiff is little different to a kid shouting poo or wee because it's a little bit rude and therefore must be funny.

That is all. No need to get on your high horses about the sanitisation of football because that's not it at all. Relax, folks :wave:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Reckon some of you are missing the point a touch.

The original poster wasn't saying the nicknames are offensive or that anyone would get upset by them, or that people should never insult the opposition. Nor is it the "PC Police" (who only exist in tabloid newspaper myth anyway) trying to clean up football. Far from it: where would we be without some good old fashioned animosity or abuse towards the teams we loathe? I'm looking forward immensely to renewing hostility with Pompey next week and entertaining their knuckle dragging "best fans in the world:yawn:". I just don't plan to call them Portscum or Poopey in the process because I'm not eight years old.

It is merely that they're all just a bit...well...lame. For a grown adult to go around talking about Loo-ton or Twatford or Baaaardiff is little different to a kid shouting poo or wee because it's a little bit rude and therefore must be funny.

That is all. No need to get on your high horses about the sanitisation of football because that's not it at all. Relax, folks :wave:

Bullseye!

Thank you Edna. Thank you for stating the case far more eloquently than I could've hoped to.

Phew.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Eh? Now you've totally lost me. He was merely making the point that when thinking up derogatory names the word 'scum' gets used a lot (Portscum, Scumhampton, etc) and leaving aside whether it's infantile or not it is a bit unoriginal. He made the comment without prejudice, i.e. he wasn't using the term himself, merely making an observation. He wasn't having a rant or indulging in banter, just making a point. And the point is valid regardless of how old he is and whether he's been to one ground or a hundred and one grounds.

If only they were making it clear with portscum, scumhampton and cryscum palace. The problem for me is when they simply say "the Scum" ('I see the scum lost again', 'oh look the scum have a new player', 'I hope the scum are in the championship next year, I always like it when we beat the scum'), it's not so hard to keep track of when it's a thread about a specific team, but when it's general chit chat and one person says "the scum" meaning southampton, and one person says "the scum" meaning pompey, and a third says "the scum" meaning palace, and different people enter into conversations with each, trying to follow which posters are talking about which version of "the scum" can be quite difficult.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
I also think most of you are missing the point........I dont think the thread starter has said another word on this thread since his opening thread....:fishing: and even if he has...i still think he was :fishing: and what an excellant job you have done old boy :lolol:

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Well done, Edna. You see the straw men arguments for what they are.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nor is it the "PC Police" (who only exist in tabloid newspaper myth anyway) trying to clean up football.

well it does start to sound a little like that. is it a tad childish? of course, but so what, some childlike jollity never hurt. i've heard an otherwise normal, boring company director use terms about his rival team. lighten up.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If only they were making it clear with portscum, scumhampton and cryscum palace. The problem for me is when they simply say "the Scum" ('I see the scum lost again', 'oh look the scum have a new player', 'I hope the scum are in the championship next year, I always like it when we beat the scum'), it's not so hard to keep track of when it's a thread about a specific team, but when it's general chit chat and one person says "the scum" meaning southampton, and one person says "the scum" meaning pompey, and a third says "the scum" meaning palace, and different people enter into conversations with each, trying to follow which posters are talking about which version of "the scum" can be quite difficult.

Then let me help you. There is, has, and only ever will be one "scum", and that is Crystal Palace. Any other reference to any other team as "the scum" is simply wrong, inferior in their scuminess if you will.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
this thread....... :facepalm: boring, moaning old farts.

what we should be focusing on is....

WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE, SAID WE ARE TOP OF THE LEAGUE!!!!!! :dance:

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010

Mate I have this funny feeling that even Jimmy Krankie could leave you behind !

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
A girlfriend? ???

How's your husband, by the way?

You would be the last person ever, even......no I wont stoop to your level. Football league show's over. time for bed and cuddle up to my wife. You my friend enjoy the 4 walls of your bedroom and your link to the world ! And as the two ronnies always ended "Goodnight"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here