Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon,

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
And Cortese told fans to their face at a fans forum that his wage demands were far too high. Swings and roundabouts, our chairman has been accused of many things and been proven to be in the right every time - I trust his word implicitly.

What are you talking about specifically? I'm interested in reasons as to why Cortese should be trusted.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
...AFTER we withdrew. He didn't have the option to sign for us anymore.

Personally I think his agent screwed him over and told him he would be able to get higher wages than we were prepared to pay. Everyone demands more when we're involved BECAUSE they know we're one of the wealthiest clubs.

You actually believe Stains withdrew their offer because Calde asked for more than £10k per week... what a complete goon you are...

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
How would he know? Does he have access to the contracts of our players? No. And players don't go around discussing what they earn.

but yet you seem to know how much they earn.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
What are you talking about specifically? I'm interested in reasons as to why Cortese should be trusted.

The onus isn't on me to prove myself. You're the ones saying that he SHOULDN'T be trusted, yet no-one has come up with examples of where he has gone back on his word or acted dishonourably.
Fwiw, i'll kick us off - the photographers fee that he introduced was a stupid idea that has since been thrown in the bin. All photographers are now welcome at St Marys.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Please feel free to find one example where Cortese has lied or acted dishonourably.
Banning the photographers.

That was easy.

I don't really know what you feel he's been 'proved right' on as I don't follow the ins and outs of Southampton fc, because why would I? But that act and the few statements I read from him early in the season which were spun out of all reality did sort of make him seem like a crazy dictator. :)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
What were Cortese's pronouncements on Calde? Did he lie, perhaps?

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
Banning the photographers.

That was easy.

I don't really know what you feel he's been 'proved right' on as I don't follow the ins and outs of Southampton fc, because why would I? But that act and the few statements I read from him early in the season which were spun out of all reality did sort of make him seem like a crazy dictator. :)

I've already said, Cortese has gone back on that decision - so clearly he isn't as stubborn as you'd believe. And I have no idea what statements you're on about, as there was one in the off season where he said Pardew wasn't getting sacked (this was before Pardew f***ed up our pre-season) and then another one in december where everything he said was spot on. I suggest you watch that interview as it is very interesting.
BBC Sport - Football - Southampton chairman Cortese says club not for sale
There is the link - at the bottom of the page is the full interview, or there is an 8 minute synopsis at the top.

As for being proved right - it was alleged by the Scunny chairman that we asked Nigel Adkins to resign so we didn't have to pay compensation. This was refuted on our official site, and even Adkins himself basically told his old chairman to shut up.
Eddie Mitchell said that we had offered Howe the job but he turned it down - this again was refuted, stating that we interviewed him but never offered him the job. Mitchell has kept schtum since then.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
On another note, in the interview I linked to Cortese also mentions a group of people - whom Saints fans have a fairly good idea are included in - that leak things to the press in order to discredit the club. People who are basically freeloaders, who took money out of the club previously without adding anything to it. These people were told they would no longer be allowed to take freebies and have taken great offence to that, and have since acted like a bunch of petulant kids. These same people leaked out the rumour that the club was up for sale a few months ago.
We all know the old saying "good news is bad news" - exactly so in this case. The press love reporting all the bitchy rumours about us, but never print the good things that are happening.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nicola Cortese:

"The Premier League remains our stated and primary objective. We are also committed to developing a style of play that is compelling to watch - a style that will ultimately become known as the 'Southampton style'. "

:lolol:
Pretencious prick.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
Nicola Cortese:

"The Premier League remains our stated and primary objective. We are also committed to developing a style of play that is compelling to watch - a style that will ultimately become known as the 'Southampton style'. "

Pretencious prick.

Taking one quote out of context is easy. I suggest you watch the interview I linked above if you want to form an opinion on Cortese.
Also, you lot bang on about your "unique style of play" which involves your keeper standing on the ball for however long it takes before he gets closed down. Creating your own style is really not that big a deal - it's making it effective.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
nicola cortese:

"the premier league remains our stated and primary objective. We are also committed to developing a style of play that is compelling to watch - a style that will ultimately become known as the 'southampton style'. "

Pretencious prick.

Hoof!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Taking one quote out of context is easy. I suggest you watch the interview I linked above if you want to form an opinion on Cortese.
Also, you lot bang on about your "unique style of play" which involves your keeper standing on the ball for however long it takes before he gets closed down. Creating your own style is really not that big a deal - it's making it effective.

yeah but giving it a name?! I mean come on that is well gay! its not as if in 20 years time random teams fans will chant "its just like watching southampton!" is it?!

mugs!

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
yeah but giving it a name?! I mean come on that is well gay! its not as if in 20 years time random teams fans will chant "its just like watching southampton!" is it?!

mugs!

Who knows what will happen in 20 years time? Look at the top teams now and look at the top teams 20 years ago.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Doesn't matter what context you put it in - your chairman coming out with guff like "a style that will ultimately become known as the 'Southampton Style' ", like you're reinventing the game and copyrighting it is cringeworthy and laughable. Specially as he binned the bloke who was supposed to be developing this mythical 'Southamton Style' (c) a few months later anyway.

What, are other clubs supposed to look on and say "hey, tell you what...why don't we give that Southampton Style a whirl, lets see if WE can do it".

Till they realise the Southampton Style involves getting beat at home by Brentford, then they might just go back to, y'know, playing football.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007

So in what context should we take that quote, please?

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Erm, being top of the league pretty much suggests it IS effective does it not??

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Who knows what will happen in 20 years time? Look at the top teams now and look at the top teams 20 years ago.

I'd bet a million pounds Southampton wont be replacing Brazil in that chant, jesus even my Southampton supporting mate would cringe at that quote :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

How do we judge that 'effectiveness' then? By looking at the league table, maybe?

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
So in what context should we take that quote, please?

He was asked what the ultimate aim was. And surely the ultimate aim of any club should be to become the best in the country. It's not like your end game is getting to midtable in the NPC - if that's the case where do you go from there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here