Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
What's the latest on Lallana?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
After we withdrew from contract negotiations.

You're wrong, but if you're right what a f***ing stupid decision. Best right back outside the premiership and ten times better than anything you have.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
You're wrong, but if you're right what a f***ing stupid decision. Best right back outside the premiership and ten times better than anything you have.

He wanted to be top earner, wages above our cap. So we told him to get lost. And he is not 10 times better than anything we have. Richardson was in team of the year last season, i'd say they're about on par, perhaps Calderon slightly better.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He wanted to be top earner, wages above our cap. So we told him to get lost. And he is not 10 times better than anything we have. Richardson was in team of the year last season, i'd say they're about on par, perhaps Calderon slightly better.

So you actually believe that he demanded to be highest earner at Southampton (a club who pays a lot more in wages than Brighton) but then was happy to come back to Brighton despite this. I think it is more likely rubbish that your chairman and manager said because he wanted to stay at Brighton but if you choose to believe it, then that is up to you.

Didn't Richardson cost about £400K whereas Calderon was available on a free? You clearly got the wrong end of that deal as Calderon will be in the team of the year this season barring an injury or massive loss of form.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
So you actually believe that he demanded to be highest earner at Southampton (a club who pays a lot more in wages than Brighton) but then was happy to come back to Brighton despite this. I think it is more likely rubbish that your chairman and manager said because he wanted to stay at Brighton but if you choose to believe it, then that is up to you.

Didn't Richardson cost about £400K whereas Calderon was available on a free? You clearly got the wrong end of that deal as Calderon will be in the team of the year this season barring an injury or massive loss of form.

Why then did he even talk to us? As for Richardson, he cost £250k...which you lot are saying is a paltry amount.
Even if we go with your amount, £400,000 would have been less than Calderons wages for the season.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Why then did he even talk to us? As for Richardson, he cost £250k...which you lot are saying is a paltry amount.

He says he wanted to hear what you had to say and that it is perfectly normal in Spain to do that. The absolute truth we will never know but it is safe to say that we would not have offered him what you did.

I agree that £250K is not much these days (although I just did a bit of research and found an article from your local paper which says a deal worth £450K) but seeing as you admit that Calderon is at least as good, and probably slightly better, we know who got the better of it.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
He says he wanted to hear what you had to say and that it is perfectly normal in Spain to do that. The absolute truth we will never know but it is safe to say that we would not have offered him what you did.

I agree that £250K is not much these days (although I just did a bit of research and found an article from your local paper which says a deal worth £450K) but seeing as you admit that Calderon is at least as good, and probably slightly better, we know who got the better of it.

All depends on his wages. A chairman who spends £90million odd on a stadium isn't going to be shy about offering higher than average wages. From what i've seen - including highlights and random videos of everything Calderons done, including passes for some reason - I prefer Richardson every day.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
No Calde released a statement on the clubs website. He said he spoke to SCC out of politeness as they had made an offer but he was certain to stay at Brighton unless the offer was too good to turn down...

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
All depends on his wages. A chairman who spends £90million odd on a stadium isn't going to be shy about offering higher than average wages. From what i've seen - including highlights and random videos of everything Calderons done, including passes for some reason - I prefer Richardson every day.

We will have to agree to disagree about that as there is not a right back in the league (not many in the Championship) who I would rather have and he fits our style of play perfectly. As for the wages and reasons for Calderon coming back, neither of us will ever know. What annoys me is that you, and other Saints fans, state things as facts when we have no idea whether they are true or not.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
No Calde released a statement on the clubs website. He said he spoke to SCC out of politeness as they had made an offer but he was certain to stay at Brighton unless the offer was too good to turn down...

And Cortese told fans to their face at a fans forum that his wage demands were far too high. Swings and roundabouts, our chairman has been accused of many things and been proven to be in the right every time - I trust his word implicitly. Do you not remember the article where Gus said he was disappointed in Calderon and that "he won't be a Brighton player next season, of that I am sure"? Seems like both of them went back on their word.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

saint_clark you are talking shit.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
We will have to agree to disagree about that as there is not a right back in the league (not many in the Championship) who I would rather have and he fits our style of play perfectly. As for the wages and reasons for Calderon coming back, neither of us will ever know. What annoys me is that you, and other Saints fans, state things as facts when we have no idea whether they are true or not.

I form opinions based on the evidence available, as do we all. See my last post as to my reasons for believing my chairman over your player.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton

Fair enough, you see him play so your best placed to comment. All I know is Calderon is the best right back we have had for many years, and him signing that contract at the start of the season is just as important as any other signing we've made this season.

From what I've seen he'll more than comfortable in the Championship if we get there.

saint_clark

Jan 1, 2011
Fair enough, you see him play so your best placed to comment. All I know is Calderon is the best right back we have had for many years, and him signing that contract at the start of the season is just as important as any other signing we've made this season.

From what I've seen he'll more than comfortable in the Championship if we get there.

And the same with Richardson. As I said, from that i've seen they're probably at the same level. Main reason I prefer Richardson is that he seems to be stronger in the tackle, and he isn't actually back to his best yet - he dislocated his shoulder in pre-season and only started playing again about a month and a half ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here