Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon latest ?

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
I have been given an explanation from a reliable source as to why he did not play on Tuesday. It also explains Gus's statement about he does not know whether he will play tomorrow. However I am not prepared to divulge this information except to say that the speculation on here is way off the mark.

Thats cleared it all up nicely

Cheers

Stevegull

Sep 9, 2005
Lewes
There must be more to this than we know. This is what Greer said on the argus website today

"Albion captain Gordon Greer has praised the calming influence of Mauricio Taricco as the assistant manager considers his playing future again.

Taricco heads for one of his old clubs Ipswich tomorrow with doubts about the 38-year-old Argentinian defender continuing to be part of the Seagulls’ Championship squad.

Boss Gus Poyet named his No. 2 as a surprise replacement at right-back for Inigo Calderon in Tuesday’s 3-1 home defeat by Crystal Palace.

Taricco was outstanding for an hour before he was replaced by Romain Vincelot, with Albion leading 1-0.

Greer said: “He was fantastic the other night. When he went off we definitely missed him.

“He brings a wealth of experience and he is so calm on the ball. He is a fantastic defender. People don’t really realise how good a defender he actually is.

“To play alongside him makes everything so much easier. It’s just disappointing he had to come off.”

Doesnt that sound like Greer know what side his bread is buttered?

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
If what I heard is true it would not be in the best interests of our club to make it public knowledge. I am not keeping it to myself to be important and only mentioned it to dispel rumours about the reason.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I'm surprised so many people think Calde isn't up to the Championship!! I can fully understand why slow-mo Painter is under scrutiny but not Calde, he is holding his own IMO!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If what I heard is true it would not be in the best interests of our club to make it public knowledge. I am not keeping it to myself to be important and only mentioned it to dispel rumours about the reason.

i reckon it's a JT Wayne bridge style scandal. Calde has been ploughing Vicentes bird ??

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008

dish dish dish

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I have been given an explanation from a reliable source as to why he did not play on Tuesday. It also explains Gus's statement about he does not know whether he will play tomorrow. However I am not prepared to divulge this information except to say that the speculation on here is way off the mark.

What on earth is the point of this?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There must be more to this than we know. This is what Greer said on the argus website today

"Albion captain Gordon Greer has praised the calming influence of Mauricio Taricco as the assistant manager considers his playing future again.

Taricco heads for one of his old clubs Ipswich tomorrow with doubts about the 38-year-old Argentinian defender continuing to be part of the Seagulls’ Championship squad.

Boss Gus Poyet named his No. 2 as a surprise replacement at right-back for Inigo Calderon in Tuesday’s 3-1 home defeat by Crystal Palace.

Taricco was outstanding for an hour before he was replaced by Romain Vincelot, with Albion leading 1-0.

Greer said: “He was fantastic the other night. When he went off we definitely missed him.

“He brings a wealth of experience and he is so calm on the ball. He is a fantastic defender. People don’t really realise how good a defender he actually is.

“To play alongside him makes everything so much easier. It’s just disappointing he had to come off.”

Doesnt that sound like Greer know what side his bread is buttered?

Or simply knows a better full back when he sees and plays with them (Taricco).

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

I also have a sauce, and possibly know what you know, and if I do, it is utterly made up drivel.

Daffy Duck

Stop bloody moaning!
Nov 7, 2009
GOSBTS
Is it because Vicente wanted the number 14 shirt and Calde wouldn't give it to him, and they had a liitle tiff?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I have some made up drivel and I`ve got a sauce even mentioning it.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Decided I should do something for my wife, so I got her one of those fish pedicures!, I must say I was amazed at the results, I mean those piranhas don't mess about do they!

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Vicente doesn't have anyone to talk to on the bench and DEMANDED Calde was dropped so he had someone to talk to.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If it was a tactical descision I wonder what Gus was on that night. Vincelot had been brilliant every time he played and he is naturally a RB. What faith does it show in him by playing a 38 year old instead?

agreed - strangest decision poyet has made in his tenure.....

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Calderon is definitely up to Championship level. He is superb going forward and defensively okay IMO. Goals like Leeds' first weren't prevented without Calderon in the team (i.e. Palace's second). The midfield are too porous at the moment and aren't relieving the defence. Defensive clearances are going straight back to the opposition when things aren't going our way, and as a result we're being pushed deeper and deeper back.

I am worried in this large shift in Tanno support in the wake of Calde's mystery absence. Yes, he played well on Tuesday night, but I really don't understand why Gus and Greer believe that replacing him with Vincelot contributed to the three goal collapse? From where I was, most of Palace's attacks were going down our left side against Painter, not the right. We were playing awfully after 20 minutes, not after 60.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Calderon has been brilliant so far - back to his best. On form, he should be one of the first on the teamsheet.

I have heard a rumour, just a rumour though - he scoffed a Chicken and Ham pie and a pint before the Palace game after queuing in the WSL for half an hour. Gus was fuming.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here