Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon latest ?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Although I am sure he is still quicker than Painter.
Are you joking? I know painter isn't the quickest, but I thought Tanno was strugling with pace on Tuesday. I thought our main problems were not holding onto the ball in the midfield though, and I thought Vicente would be the man to help - maybe he's not quite ready, or he came on too late to get into the game properly? It was a poor performance and the wrong time for it, but I have faith in Gus and he's got a decent squad to pick from.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Tarrico is better than both our full backs, that is the thing. He just isn't as fit because he is old.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
One reason Tanno didn't do much wrong was because most of their movement was down our left ... on the other hand we didn't go forward on our right more than 2 or 3 times and it maybe one of the reasons why Barnes was quite anonymous, defo not our best player (Bridcutt or Noone) I can't deny I find the whole thing a little bewildering, not just that Calderon didn't play but also why not replace with Vincelot which was one of the reasons I thought we bought him

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Huh? Painter YES, Calderon NO.

Our full backs are getting exposed because:

1) They both push forward and obviously players are more tactically aware and have more pace in this division to exploite this
2) The main reason is that the system we play means that usually one of them does not have a covering midfield player on their side of the pitch.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
perhaps it was calderon who kicked the ball to their goalie straight away and then left his goal gaping open for their inevitable final shot against leeds?

What was missing was some hard players getting stuck in to win 50/50 balls and some attacking play from the defenders and midfielders, i.e calderon, el abd, navarro,

ok, el abd wasnt available i know, but the other two were and that is what we lacked, if the likes of el abd and buckley are back for the away fixture i think we`ll see a different game, least we all hope so. If you watch the leeds game, the 3rd goal which should have been the winner came from a calde pass to barnes to cms, we missed his runs past the half way line.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Calderon wouldn't have effected CP result for the better.

Not good enough at this level unfortunately. Opposing managers have identifed Painter, Calderon, & Dicker (good passer, so immobile) as the weaknesses, and are now exploiting it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
perhaps it was calderon who kicked the ball to their goalie straight away and then left his goal gaping open for their inevitable final shot against leeds?

What was missing was some hard players getting stuck in to win 50/50 balls and some attacking play from the defenders and midfielders, i.e calderon, el abd, navarro,

ok, el abd wasnt available i know, but the other two were and that is what we lacked, if the likes of el abd and buckley are back for the away fixture i think we`ll see a different game, least we all hope so. If you watch the leeds game, the 3rd goal which should have been the winner came from a calde pass to barnes to cms, we missed his runs past the half way line.

Well said apart from pro-Calde stuff.
New centre midfield 3 of Navarro (holding), Bridcutt, and then one of the slower but more attack minded [Dicker (only if Bridcutt & Navarro in), Harley, Sparrow or Vicente in]. Please Gus.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Opposing managers have identifed Painter, Calderon, & Dicker (good passer, so immobile) as the weaknesses, and are now exploiting it.

I believe they even include Ankergren as one of the weak links.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
True, but bollocks and NSC go together like fish and chips, a pie and a pint, Lennon and McCartney, Terry Connor and ........?

I was going to reply Gerry Ryan or Alan Young, but then the penny dropped, you meant a certain somebody from the supporters club didn't you?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
We badly missed Calderon's runs into the opposition half. When someone like Harley has the ball half way into their half, he would usually have Calderon bombing down the outside which drags a defender out with him. This eithe gives Harley the option to play it through to Calderon or has created space in the middle for him to go forward himself or play it to another forward who is now in more space as the full back has had to go out towards the touchline

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Doe anyone know if Calde boarded the Gus Bus for tomorrow's game ?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
I don't think Tano is a slow as people make out. He lacks acceleration so if caught in a straight sprint from standing he will probably get beaten. But if he is moving he seems fast enough, not super speedy, but fast enough, to cover most things.
His ball control, passing and positioning are brilliant and counter the acceleration issue for me.

Agree he's not a slow player but what really helps him is being in the right place everytime. His positioning is first class. Shame we can't get 90 minutes out of him

tubby

Aug 15, 2008
I have been given an explanation from a reliable source as to why he did not play on Tuesday. It also explains Gus's statement about he does not know whether he will play tomorrow. However I am not prepared to divulge this information except to say that the speculation on here is way off the mark.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Sounded like an anti-Scannel device (tactical change because of a surmised danger). Did not want Scannel to cut in from the left and shoot with his better right foot ???

I was thinking this. But it would be easier to not let Scannel get the ball in the first place. At least that is the easiest way to stop Lua lua.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I have been given an explanation from a reliable source as to why he did not play on Tuesday. It also explains Gus's statement about he does not know whether he will play tomorrow. However I am not prepared to divulge this information except to say that the speculation on here is way off the mark.

So why reply? All these look at me, I'm in the know but won't tell you replies really do my head in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here