Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Calderon latest ?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes. No problem, Gus wanted to change the defence because of recent displays, Calderon is fit and available to play as necessary.

Source: Ipswich preview video on Seagulls Player.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In today's argus (or online today)
But the Seagulls boss has told The Argus his right-back was left out against Crystal Palace on Tuesday for tactical reasons.

Calderon was replaced by Mauricio Taricco, known as Tano, in the wake of the 3-3 draw with Leeds.

Poyet said: “I don’t know if Calde will play on Saturday.

“There is nothing wrong. He missed one game. He played every game until Tuesday, then he missed one.

“There is no problem. I talk to players and they know where they stand.

“It was a decision that I wanted to play Tano and, when he was on the pitch, can you name me a better Brighton player?”
Poyet faces Calde decision From The Argus)

I can't tell if that is a subtle way of dismissing rumours of disciplinary issues without giving credence to the rumours by mentioning them, or if it is some sort of PR spin thing to try to stop, what is actually, an in-house issue becoming a public one.

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Gus and Calde had a lovers tiff because Vicente is the new love interest ???

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
If it was a tactical descision I wonder what Gus was on that night. Vincelot had been brilliant every time he played and he is naturally a RB. What faith does it show in him by playing a 38 year old instead?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It could be the game-plan was to be 3 nil up by the hour mark allowing Tanno to be subbed but it all went tits up after 20 minutes when Palace were allowed back into the game.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
While Tanno was on we still looked ok but I think had Calde started we wouldn't have needed to sub him and our defense wouldn't have changed.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
As a side issue on the subject-(FROM THE ARGUS)

“It was a decision that I wanted to play Tano and, when he was on the pitch, can you name me a better Brighton player?”

Should Gus be saying things like this?

Now i know it's a context thing

I love Gus but sometimes it does make me wonder :down:

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
As a side issue on the subject-(FROM THE ARGUS)

Should Gus be saying things like this?

Now i know it's a context thing

I love Gus but sometimes it does make me wonder :down:

why shouldnt Gus say this IF Tano was the best brighton player on tuesday night

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
why shouldnt Gus say this IF Tano was the best brighton player on tuesday night

he should,but somewhere behind this statement lies another point,the point that he seems on occasion to undermine players? maybe it's me,i should forget it,as i think your making more sense right now than me-it's just a little part of Gus that i don't agree with at times-but please note 99% of what he is all about,i agree with.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
To be fair I don't think Tanno made a single mistake in the time he was on the pitch and they never threatened from the left whilst he was there. If he still had his pace he would be the best full back in the division probably as he was undoubtedly premiership class. Obviously at 37 this simply won't be the case. Although I am sure he is still quicker than Painter.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It all goes to show we just don't know what is going on in the great man's tactical brain!

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
Calde did not do fully as was asked against Leeds

This caused poyet to drop Him just to proove no one is handed a start.

No falling out just an ' I am boss ' situation.

I know poyet now regrets team choice but not the point being made.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here