Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] By-election in Honiton and Tiverton.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
NSC Patron
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
David Frost, “It’s not a good night for Labour or the Liberals either “

3198FE30-16F3-491A-A66F-9B4655EA5DDE.png

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Many jittery Tory backbenchers who’ll be calling, privately and publicly, for Boris Johnson’s head in the days to come. On the contrary, he has to stay to deliver what the country needs. Which is very many fewer Tory MPs.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Many jittery Tory backbenchers who’ll be calling, privately and publicly, for Boris Johnson’s head in the days to come. On the contrary, he has to stay to deliver what the country needs. Which is very many fewer Tory MPs.

I honestly think that the best thing for Labour and the Lib Dems is Johnson staying in power. Whether he likes it or not, he's driving voters away.

The problem is he won't quit and his cowardly backers won't push, so this Tory party will have the remainder of their term to keep ripping up this countries institutions. Heaven knows what state we'll be in by then

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Genuinely a bit surprised no Tory MPs have yet accused the voters here of undermining Ukraine, but I'm sure it'll come. Dorries will have been on the sherry by midday...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In hindsight, shouldn't the rebels have held off their vote of confidence until after these by-elections

yes. it was said at the time, and noted on radio there was no coordination, so the magic number was hit without thought to consequences.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Genuinely a bit surprised no Tory MPs have yet accused the voters here of undermining Ukraine, but I'm sure it'll come. Dorries will have been on the sherry by midday...

She leaving it late today then?

luge

Dec 18, 2010
I honestly think that the best thing for Labour and the Lib Dems is Johnson staying in power. Whether he likes it or not, he's driving voters away.

The problem is he won't quit and his cowardly backers won't push, so this Tory party will have the remainder of their term to keep ripping up this countries institutions. Heaven knows what state we'll be in by then

I did alot of work with a former labour cabinet minister in 2019. His view was that it was always going to get much worse before it gets better. At the time I couldn't really believe/understand it - but now I think that in order to reverse alot of the disastrous policies and direction that we have gone in over the past decade, we probably need it to get worse still. Another year of BoJo and his cabinet of clowns showing us how bad things can get should do it.

Why? Because you still have alot of people that don't think about things and will always side with a traditionalist, British stiff upper lip, Britain is great view - and the tories have always represented that. Now they are wavering, but many will revert to type if the current cabal are replaced by a sensible Tory. If they don't kick BoJo out soon, then i think that it cements things a bit more.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I jested earlier "don't sack Johnson"

Its a dilemma. Johnson is destroying the Tories, but the problem is he is destroying the country as well.

He'd take a WW3 in Europe now if it saved his own skin, that's all that matters

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In less serious analysis, does anyone think that this is a Bye-Election for Boris Johnson?

No. It would've been for any previous PM (of any party), but any previous PM would've resigned after being found guilty of a criminal offence that he introduced or lost the support of over a third of his MPs.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Fantastic result in Devon for the Lib Dems, I’m really pleased for them, I bet Boris is shiting himself now.

Parliament needs more Liberal Democrats.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would that be the same Johnson whose Government you celebrated voting into power only a couple of years ago. Maybe you didn't realise what a 'full term' in Government meant when you voted for his vision of the future a second time ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
In hindsight, shouldn't the rebels have held off their vote of confidence until after these by-elections

IF they actually wanted him gone. What most of them wanted to do is show their constituents they're listening to them, however they also know without an obvious replacement, they're just as likely to lose their seat regardless. It's a game for them at present, the PM is significantly weakened regardless of what he says, but the toss up is does anyone else give those rebels a better chance of retaining their seat. It's not going to be any of Boris's front bench.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Lab lost deposit in T&H.
Lib lost deposit in Wakefield.
So, serious tactical voting.

Needs some real work from Libs and Lab to replicate this in a General Election.

Not convinced that Lab want to do it at GE because it would mean certain power sharing

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Lab lost deposit in T&H.
Lib lost deposit in Wakefield.
So, serious tactical voting.

Needs some real work from Libs and Lab to replicate this in a General Election.

Not convinced that Lab want to do it at GE because it would mean certain power sharing

It was pointed out that the drop in Labour vote share in T&H was just a smidge higher than the % majority that the Lib Dems achieved. So massive tactical voting delivered the result.

The question at the next GE (if Boris is still PM by then) will be whether anti-Boris voters (on both sides of the political spectrum) choose to vote for the preferred party or choose to vote specifically to get rid of Boris. If it's the latter, we could see an absolute bloodbath of Tory MPs losing their seats. If it's the former, I think we'll be headed for a Tory defeat but with Labour only narrowly ahead on seats.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

They'll have ditched him before the next General Election. They always do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here