Butterfly spotters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Nothing wrong with being passionate with earths creatures Gareth.

When i was a kid i was absolutely fascinated with newts and would go catching them. I even caught the great crested a couple of times.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I visited your allotment last night as you slept. Just make sure you wash that rhubarb

I bet you didn't get much sleep then ? the Sting Nettles surrounding that plant are pretty potent....... you must have a todger that looks like a Venison Chipolata now ?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
If they are so attracted by lights, why don't they come out in the daytime?

They navigate by the moon. they think that light bulbs are the moon and they are using it to find there way rather than actually attracted to it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
thanks Uncle, I had no idea what it was but it certainly looked different to anything I had seen before.... mind you, I know very little on flutterbyes

Its a moth.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Is there any spare land around the stadium site?

If so, why not.

Meadow v cultivated grassland;

Costs less to maintain.

Requires less [zero] chemical input.

Looks better.

Massively better for wildlife.

Good PR.

All good.

Would get my vote :thumbsup:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Current thinking is that they are not attracted by lights - they head for the darkest areas. When you have a lightbulb, the "darkest" area is directly behind the bulb,as far as the most is concerned, it doesn't matter which direction it coems at it from.

I thought it was because they use the brightest light source (the moon at night) to navigate and fly a straight course. However, lights being very close, and the moon being as good as a fixed point, they end up flying round in circles and end up hitting the light.

I took the kids up on top of Salvington Hill in Worthing last summer (above Honeysuckle Lane) and we saw loads of beautful butterflies. I took some lovely photos as well. I think we saw a dozen species.

We see quite a few in the garden since I put in fruit trees, raspberries, blackberries and some flowers.... the kids love em.

Papa

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
You can rip the piss out of me if you want but I am a great lover of butterflies. Infact I used to breed them when I was younger as it is a fascinating cycle of life and was very rewarding nurturing them from egg to butterfly.

On the South Downs there is a feast to be had for butterfly spotters. Today I saw numerous Marbled Whites, a lovely black and white species, magnificent, the old favourite, the Red Admiral, another family favourite , the Small Tortoiseshell, a Peacock was spotted last week, numerous species of coppers and skippers, a small blue was spotted and recently I spotted an Adonis Blue. Alas the Chalkhill blue seems to be rare this year but Southwick Downs is a butterfly lovers treat.

Anyone else spotted anything interesting this year ?.

Whats really nice ??? ....you havnt had the piss ripped out of you . In fact i think its one of the more interesting threads weve had here for a while !

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Any idea what these may be?

Attachments

• Malaysia580.jpg
    Malaysia580.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Malaysia202.jpg
    Malaysia202.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 21

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
On my walk today I saw numerous Gatekeepers, Coppers and a Red Admiral. The Marbled Whites had all gone awol.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here