Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Butterfly spotters

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Butterflys are pretty much wiped out these days compared to 15 years ago. I remember as a kid going out with a net and catching them, they were everywhere. Now you're lucky to ever see one, although I've definitely seen more about this year.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Southwick downs is the place to go. There are hundreds up there.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Boxhill in Dorking is the best place to see huge variety, only a 40 min drive from Brighton and a great place on a sunny day anyway.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
We had a comma in our garden the other day. I love butterflies. They're stunning. I'd love to see a purple emperor.
Anyone on NSC been to the relatively new butterfly place in St Albans? I want to visit soon, but I have a feeling that the massive conservatory hasn't been constructed yet.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Has anyone seen any of those hummingbird moths this year ?

Last year a buddleia at work had loads of them working it, but not seen any this year.

Sir Norman Gull

Where's my poncho?
Mar 28, 2008
Location Location
Went to RSPB Pulborough Brooks today-saw about 12 different varieties of butterflies today including Red Admirals,Commas and a plentiful supply of Gatekeepers.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Nice pic of said hummingbird hawk moth here.

Attachments

• macroglossum_stellatarum_1.jpg
    macroglossum_stellatarum_1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 150

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
I do like a pretty flutterby I must say.
When I was in New York I came across a bush down by the Ellis Island ferry which had a thousand flutterbys on.

What sort are they NSC ?

Attachments

• 100_1873.JPG
    100_1873.JPG
    252.3 KB · Views: 150

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They are Monarchs.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
If they are so attracted by lights, why don't they come out in the daytime?

Current thinking is that they are not attracted by lights - they head for the darkest areas. When you have a lightbulb, the "darkest" area is directly behind the bulb,as far as the most is concerned, it doesn't matter which direction it coems at it from.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Butterflys are pretty much wiped out these days compared to 15 years ago. I remember as a kid going out with a net and catching them, they were everywhere. Now you're lucky to ever see one, although I've definitely seen more about this year.

Not in our garden they're not - there are dozens of them. Apparently, nettles are the key - butterflies are attracted to places with lots of nettles and we have a clump at the back.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The caterpillers of tortoiseshells, peacocks, red admirals and many more feed on nettles. The butterflies lay their eggs on them. Nettles and a buddlea bush are the ideal combination.

saslowi

Feb 2, 2009
Was lucky enough to see some White Admirals at my inlaw's place the other day. They like wooded areas and the caterpillers feed on honeysuckle.
Its mainly Gatekeepers in the garden at the moment but the sprout and broccoli plants are getting shredded so there must be some sneaky Cabbage Whites around.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The caterpillers of tortoiseshells, peacocks, red admirals and many more feed on nettles. The butterflies lay their eggs on them. Nettles and a buddlea bush are the ideal combination.

That explains the high incidence of tortoiseshells and red admirals in the garden. I've had the odd peacock, orange-tip and camberwell beauty too

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
There were thousands upon thousands of butterflies around the area I stayed in Ecuador.

I couldn't even begin to name them, but we had lots of Hummingbird butterflies and moths the size of ones hand.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That explains the high incidence of tortoiseshells and red admirals in the garden. I've had the odd peacock, orange-tip and camberwell beauty too

Camberwell Beauty :eek:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What about starting an albion nature group,we could support creation of some meadow sites around the stadium,similar to eastern rd and lewes rd?:hilton:

Is there any spare land around the stadium site?

If so, why not.

Meadow v cultivated grassland;

Costs less to maintain.

Requires less [zero] chemical input.

Looks better.

Massively better for wildlife.

Good PR.

All good.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
You can rip the piss out of me if you want but I am a great lover of butterflies. Infact I used to breed them when I was younger as it is a fascinating cycle of life and was very rewarding nurturing them from egg to butterfly.

On the South Downs there is a feast to be had for butterfly spotters. Today I saw numerous Marbled Whites, a lovely black and white species, magnificent, the old favourite, the Red Admiral, another family favourite , the Small Tortoiseshell, a Peacock was spotted last week, numerous species of coppers and skippers, a small blue was spotted and recently I spotted an Adonis Blue. Alas the Chalkhill blue seems to be rare this year but Southwick Downs is a butterfly lovers treat.

Anyone else spotted anything interesting this year ?.

White Admirals on Lingfield Golf Course

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here