Butterfly spotters

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Is there any spare land around the stadium site?

If so, why not.

Meadow v cultivated grassland;

Costs less to maintain.

Requires less [zero] chemical input.

Looks better.

Massively better for wildlife.

Good PR.

All good.

Thanks to the Common Agricultural Policy farmers earn more from set aside land, than they do growing and selling Corn etc. Very soon the whole country will be set aside. :hilton: :shrug:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'd be willing to assist, time permitting.

I know a little bit about this kind of shit - I have a degree in Countryside Management :dunce:

I Think since early 50's we have lost 96% of our meadows mostly due to animals getting fed silage instead of hay,figures might be slightly off but not by much,need to have this addressed with new meadow areas,central reservations,motorway banks,new developments(football stadia)lets take a lead with falmer and the ac stadium!!!!!1!:hilton::thumbsup::albion2::hilton::albion1::albion2::hilton:

I used to see lots of Adonis Blue, and Brown Skippers - but not much these days. I recently tried to follow a dark-winged variety I had never seen before - it had purple-ish sheen coming off the wings at certain angles, and since it was on a mission I was uncertain if it was butterfly or moth (on a sunny day, I imagine the former). It was about the size of a Painted Lady, perhaps slightly larger.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
dragonfly-info0.gif
I tend to feel the same way about DragonFlys. I could quite happy sit for ages watching a dragonfly flitting around a pond.

"sigh"

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was chasing one around the garden this afternoon with my macro lens and tripod. Bugger wouldn't keep still for long enough though. Did get some cracking shots of some bees on some plants though

Not the easiest things to snap are they? We got mobbed by a swarm of these beauties on holiday in May, I took hundreds of photos in "burst" mode and got a half a dozen nice ones

Attachments

• swallowtail.jpg
    swallowtail.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 70
  • swallow2.bmp
    1.3 MB · Views: 74

Mowgli

Sep 18, 2008
Brighton
Seen quite a few in my garden, don't know enough to name certain types of butterfly, but plain white ones seem to be populer in my garden, whatever ones they are :)

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
I saw a bright pink one the other day. Have you any idea what type it is?
I'm not too sure if it was a butterfly or a moth though.
I hate dragonflies with a passion though, they give me the creeps and I scream if one comes near me.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I had an afternoon in Alfriston on sunday and spotted this fluttering near the path, any idea what it is ? sorry about the pic, this was max macro on my camera. I'm relying on you, Uncle !

Attachments

• DSC00524(1).JPG
    DSC00524(1).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 57

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That looks like some sort of Moth. I will check it out.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Here is another photo, I can't remember the species. I got lucky, I was picking Rhubarb up my plot when I noticed this beauty. It had only just hatched and as it was unable to fly at the time as it was drying its wings, I was able to get very close.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
oops, forgot picture !

Attachments

• Butterfly.jpg
    Butterfly.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 54

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports