**** Burnley v Brighton & Hove Albion Official Match Thread ****

Result Forecast

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It never fails to amaze me how different two sets of commentators/analysers can see a game.
Listening to JC and Brain Damage you,d think we were pretty good and robbed but Cottee thought we were less than average.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't work that way,gus got his tactics wrong gain end of.

Game over

What you mean doesn't work that way? We don't have a divine right to win every game. We've been VERY GOOD this season. 'Sake.

I was only answering the question posted by a previous poster asking what the Burnley fans were singing. if he sees that as excuse to call me a prat then he is neither bright nor subtle

He was being sarcastic in keeping with the timbre of yours. I think he was being bright and obviously too subtle. Don't take it personally, it's just a silly misunderstanding. Have a look at SG's previous and you won't find a bitter bone in his body. Now return post haste into God's own country.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Not very bright, or subtle, calling another poster a prat. I assume he misunderstood, I was only answering the question posted by a previous poster asking what the Burnley fans were singing. if he sees that as excuse to call me a prat then he is neither bright nor subtle

I'm not sure but I may have entered a parallel universe, all I did was provided the answer to a question posted. I have offered no thoughts on the game, our position, our hopes for the rest of the season.

For what it's worth, I'm still rooting for a play off place, I am disappointed, of course, but it's only one game, there are still a few left, and unless I'm mistaken, we are still in 6th.

Sorry! quoted wrong message! I did edit but too late :( (It was supposed to in reply to Mr Optimist aka doogie004)

no im sick of putting out teams that lack flair and creativity

Really? How did you manage under Adams, Wilkins, Slade, McGhee or the other umpteen managers that went previously? I'm genuinely shocked at having met a Brighton fan who thinks our side lacks flair or creativity. We are over-achieving in our first year back in the Championship with a style of football that has won us plaudits all over the land. I'm a bit disappointed but it's that kind of disappointment where you've shot your custard into the missus's mouth and at the last moment she refuses to swallow.

f*** me, I really ought to save some of these analogies for later use. I'm on fire today.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Bad result - but was it a bad performance, or a bad change of tactics by Gus? Looking at the BBC match stats, I see we had more shots than Burnley (19 to 18) and more on target (9 to 8). When did we last have anything like 19 shots at goals on one match? - a long time ago, I would think. Also, we apparantly had 57% of possession.

OK, I know stats don't win matches - and unfortunately one of Burnley's shots found the back of the net while none of our's did - but it looks as thuogh the tactics were OK, and we actually had our shooting boots on. Stats like that another day could see us comfortably home. Onwards and upwards then - but I'm pessimistic about our chances of making the play-offs now.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Has Gus been on SCR yet - I missed a bit of it, want to hear his interview

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Bad result - but was it a bad performance, or a bad change of tactics by Gus? Looking at the BBC match stats, I see we had more shots than Burnley (19 to 18) and more on target (9 to 8). When did we last have anything like 19 shots at goals on one match? - a long time ago, I would think. Also, we apparantly had 57% of possession.

OK, I know stats don't win matches - and unfortunately one of Burnley's shots found the back of the net while none of our's did - but it looks as thuogh the tactics were OK, and we actually had our shooting boots on. Stats like that another day could see us comfortably home. Onwards and upwards then - but I'm pessimistic about our chances of making the play-offs now.

They got the rub of the green with their goal. Vicente did not seem to have anybody to pass to. Dicker crossed twice for two half chances. Barnes shot over when he has scored these before. Macca produced a point blank save from their keeper. I think they had another shot that went close.

It was encouraging that we could create (albeit not good enough) without passing through Vicente and could pass our way to their penalty area on occasions. They were cynical with their fouls (like the Albion at times) when they lost the ball.

In short I think Gus got the tactics right. I am not a fan of Dicker, but it was not a bad choice for this match. Vokes did some good blocking in defence but I am not convinced of him ahead of Barnes.

In short, Burnley did not seem any better than Wrexham, and although we made hard work of Wrexham we did beat them (just about). For this match we played better, but did not get the breaks.

Gus on the radio now:

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Gus on the radio:

Game we had to win. Complacent because Burnley (when we conceded) were not very good. Final ball was not good enough. Everything had to go right to score. Right strength on the cross/pass etc. Timing of the run. It did not happen for us. Not good enough.

Gus did start by saying quality is expensive.

Last edited:

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The bit where you made the claim that your day job gave you an enlightened position on which to judge Gus. That would be the bit. You are aware of what you've posted aren't you? It's not just some sort of stream of consciousness therapy?

To judge Poyet as a person, nothing to do wit doing his job. You just read that bit in yourself....Read whats there, not what you want to think is there.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Just a question... who do you support and why are you on the Brighton forum? Did you lose the URL to your team?

So if you have a negative comment to make, or point of view. Then you must support someone else. Brighton and Hove Albion is the answer to you question since 1979, with over 70 away grounds visited including Turf Moor several times. The reason I am not there today, money, having to look after my daughter and having a few other commitments on a Good Friday family wise. Why arnt you there, or who do did you support before 2010 when the Gus bus took off?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So if you have a negative comment to make, or point of view. Then you must support someone else. Brighton and Hove Albion is the answer to you question since 1979, with over 70 away grounds visited including Turf Moor several times. The reason I am not there today, money, having to look after my daughter and having a few other commitments on a Good Friday family wise. Why arnt you there, or who do did you support before 2010 when the Gus bus took off?

Can't remember asking you to justify your miserable existence.

To judge Poyet as a person, nothing to do wit doing his job. You just read that bit in yourself....Read whats there, not what you want to think is there.

So all the while you were questioning his managerial abilities with not being able to read a game, not picking the right subs and spunking £7M it was all because you don't like him as a person?

But surely it's his managerial qualities that are important, isn't it? I mean, Redknapp and Alex Ferguson come across as right tossers but they stay in their jobs because they are good at it. Are you saying that all this anti-Gus feeling is something non-managerial related? You talk in riddles. Instead of hinting, why not just come out and say what it is and what makes you qualified to judge?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Can't remember asking you to justify your miserable existence.

If you think spending time with your beautiful seven year old daughter is a miserable existence. That say's a lot more about you than it does me. As anyone reading that comment is sure to agree. You may be man enough one day too have a daughter, but I doubt it,

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
So all the while you were questioning his managerial abilities with not being able to read a game, not picking the right subs and spunking £7M it was all because you don't like him as a person?

But surely it's his managerial qualities that are important, isn't it? I mean, Redknapp and Alex Ferguson come across as right tossers but they stay in their jobs because they are good at it. Are you saying that all this anti-Gus feeling is something non-managerial related? You talk in riddles. Instead of hinting, why not just come out and say what it is and what makes you qualified to judge?

Ok lets put this to bed. It is my view that Gus has done a great job in his time at the club. But he holds grudges, behaves like a spoilt child when he does not get his own way, nothing is ever his fault and the more he hears from anyone to do something he will do the opposite to try and prove how clever he is and he knows better all the time...Just a few questions for you,,where is Razak?.If he has done something wrong, fine him and get on with it, don't just drop him it obvious he is good enough. Where is JFC, what exactly did he do wrong?..Have the name Forster perhaps?..Why put Noone on ahead of KLL when almost everytime KLL plays something happens. Ask Liverpool fans, he is the only player they remember...I could go on and on but I got to go out in a min.....Bridcutt and Navarro away from home etc etc etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here