Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget 2012

larus

I'm sorry, but they've cut child benefit for middle income families and then slashed 5% off the top rate of income tax. Absolutely disgusting.

But the view of the treasury was that at best it had raised only £100m and not the £3,000m when it was announced, and may have even been tax neutral, as it encouraged more avoidance.

However, I morally find it wrong that the governemnt should take half of someones earnings. This is beacuse most people always want someone else to pay for their services.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I was just think how pathetic he was looking. God; I'd hate to see a bad performance then.
I think he is a lame public speaker normally, but he hit the right notes here.

And I can't see how you can preach morality with regard to taxation with a straight face after that shambles.

D

Deleted member 22389

Just to confirm. You will not pay tax on earnings under 10k a year?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So the completely ineffective 50% rate imposed by the last shameful administration to try and keep power for a few more years is partially removed. Boo Hoo.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I still don't understand why Child Benefit is calculated on single earner surely it should be the combined income of both Parents that is used for the calculation It still means that 2 working parents earning 49,000 a year will still get child benefit but a family where the mother is not working and the father is earning £60,000 a year will get nothing despite the 2 working parent familly getting a combined income of 98,000 a year.

Surely this is crazy.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
But the view of the treasury was that at best it had raised only £100m and not the £3,000m when it was announced, and may have even been tax neutral, as it encouraged more avoidance.
But even if that is true, that in itself doesn't appear a good reason to remove it. Did the 2.5% on VAT raise as much as expected? If not, should we just remove that too?

However, I morally find it wrong that the governemnt should take half of someones earnings. This is beacuse most people always want someone else to pay for their services.
Arguable. We're not talking about a rate of 98% like the bad old days of the 70s. The country is in belt tightening mode, everyone is making sacrifices - except seemingly, the people who need help the least.

God knows where we'd be if this was a Tory government. I simply can't believe the Lib Dems have allowed that to get through. Shameful.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would rather look at the facts and figures rather than a knee jerk " what a disgrace ", " the rich get richer ", " same old tories ", phrases ,wasn't it explained the 50% tax raised hardly anthing and was damaging to the economy ? Also didn't the top earners and wealthiest UK citizens get proportionately richer than at anytime in history under Labour from 1997 - 2010 ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
So the completely ineffective 50% rate imposed by the last shameful administration to try and keep power for a few more years is partially removed. Boo Hoo.
Odd therefore, that George Osborn said just LAST YEAR that it wasn't the right time to remove it, with the country tightening it's belts.

What's changed then?

Jan 30, 2008
I would rather look at the facts and figures rather than a knee jerk " what a disgrace ", " the rich get richer ", " same old tories ", phrases ,wasn't it explained the 50% tax raised hardly anthing and was damaging to the economy ? Also didn't the top earners and wealthiest UK citizens get proportionately richer than at anytime in history under Labour from 1997 - 2010 ?
the rich always get richer , that's why their rich .

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Don't sit here waffling - get down the shop and stock up with fags whilst you can.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Don't sit here waffling - get down the shop and stock up with fags whilst you can.

I think I am going to have to give up the coffin nails now.

D

Deleted member 22389

As a smoker I am not bothered smokes have gone up again. Hopefully it will help me quit. I am glad they are doing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here