Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Budget 2012

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I understand your view and largely agree. However is now the right time to be removing it given the need to kick start the economy (as opposed to other reductions in expenditure/increases in income that could have been made)? Also, is how it has been done (two people earning 49k each keep it, one earning 60k loses it) the right approach?

It's always possible to find unfair examples of taxation (especially when the rules are so complex), but surely someone earning £60k can afford lose the child benefit - £60k is well over twice the national wage average. I speak purley from ignorance, as I don't have, and don't intend to have kids and earn rather more than that, so it's only a thought, rather than a declaration.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Osbourne has got absolutely slaughtered in the papers today, even the Tory one's !

aye, but all about this additional pensioner allowance that probably very few had heard of and i read has low uptake (implied you have to apply for it).

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
because after the war, when it was introduced, the powers that be wanted to ensure we repopulated a country where many had died. they wanted to encourage people to breed and didnt want certain classes to have a kid then not be able to look after them properly (and gave it to the mother because they didnt trust Father not to spend it down the pub).

Thanks for being the only person to give a considered reply but do you think that something that was enacted in 1945, for a specific reason, is relevant today? ???

And by the way compared to most European countries, we didn't lose a huge amount of casualties in WWII so it wasn't a clever policy in the first place.....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's always possible to find unfair examples of taxation (especially when the rules are so complex), but surely someone earning £60k can afford lose the child benefit - £60k is well over twice the national wage average. I speak purley from ignorance, as I don't have, and don't intend to have kids and earn rather more than that, so it's only a thought, rather than a declaration.

I have no problem with means testing child benefit but it does seem unfair that a couple both earning a pound under the £50k threshold retain it and someone earning £1 over £60k loses it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Thanks for being the only person to give a considered reply but do you think that something that was enacted in 1945, for a specific reason, is relevant today? ???

probably not, but then its part of the welfare package that was accepted then and sacred ever since. the purpose was to assist the poor, but they didnt want stigma attached to any welfare, so instituted all benefits universally. really by now we should have weened ourselfs of this teat and made benefits means tested, but Labour wont go there because ensuring the middle classes get something for their taxes keeps them sweet, and Tories wont go there because the middle classes feel they are getting something for the taxes so stay sweet. i cant remember the numbers but its staggering how much benefits and welfare is available to those with decent income, many tens of billions.

HOFNSKIN

Feb 12, 2012
All these arguements are purely academic.

We have reverted back to the the age old system of Old Etonians screwing the Peasants.

Cocaine Dave and Glam Rock Gideon are only reinforcing what they perceive to be the natural order.

The electorate were warned before the last Election.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought the mention of simplifying the tax system for small business with a turnover up to 77k was interesting...if it comes about I can c a lot if accountants being miffed...basically if self employed u just need a shoe box for your expense receipts and some record of your earnings....that and your calculator to add them all up and subtract one from the other ...bingo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here