Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's worst keepers

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Graeme Smith - inept
Calamity Wayne Henderson - took us down from the Championship - inept and unpleasant. When he joined he made a point of stating his distribution was his strength because he knew poor distribution was a criticism levelled at Kuipers. Hardly a member of the keepers union and looked like he'd find a new way to let a goal in with every attack.
Perry Digweed - dived over the ball more than any other keeper we had.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
i once watched brian powney pick the ball out of the net 8 times in the same game

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Mark Walton isn't being given nearly enough flak on this thread for my liking. He was terrible. Frequently you get keepers who are great shot stoppers but poor at dominating their box, or confident at coming for crosses but prone to letting in soft shots.

Astoundingly, for a professional goalkeeper, Walton managed to be neither a great shot stopper OR in any way dominant in his six yard box.

Probably a bit harsh to include the likes of Chaigneau, Will Packham and Brian McKenna in this, as they barely played any games between them, but then again there was probably a reason for that.

Anyone remember Ron Fearon? Not mentioning him because he was rubbish, but because his name has just sprung into my head (loan keeper from Ipswich one season), rather randomly.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Anyone remember Ron Fearon? Not mentioning him because he was rubbish, but because his name has just sprung into my head (loan keeper from Ipswich one season), rather randomly.

I thought he was okay when on loan here. I don't recall him making any howlers or appearing particularly dodgy at the time. Early 90's at a guess?

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
Mark Walton isn't being given nearly enough flak on this thread for my liking. He was terrible. Frequently you get keepers who are great shot stoppers but poor at dominating their box, or confident at coming for crosses but prone to letting in soft shots.

Astoundingly, for a professional goalkeeper, Walton managed to be neither a great shot stopper OR in any way dominant in his six yard box.

Probably a bit harsh to include the likes of Chaigneau, Will Packham and Brian McKenna in this, as they barely played any games between them, but then again there was probably a reason for that.

Halleluja! It's taken five pages and mentions of Brezovan, Ankergren, Digweed and Henderson (none of whom should be nowhere near this list) before the voice of reason that is Edna nails it.

Walton was bloody useless.

Dishonorable mentions to Blayney, Cartwright and Rust.

Halleluja! It's taken five pages and mentions of Brezovan, Ankergren, Digweed and Henderson (none of whom should be nowhere near this list) before the voice of reason that is Edna nails it.

Walton was bloody useless.

Dishonorable mentions to Blayney, Cartwright and Rust.

Walton is in my list see first page of thread. Cartwright was not that bad though a bit of a pretty boy. According to his ex girlfriend who I believe has read the news on squalk squirt radio, Mr Cartwright has a very small Willie

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
All I remember about Nicky Rust was when he kicked it out it would nearly always bend out for a throw-in.

442 did an article on him and all I can remember is a mention of the scars on his face from lunging in at strikers' feet. Always liked him more after reading that.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Well obviously, we'd all love to have won the cup. That's a given.

But there is no way you can state that NOT winning the Cup Final was a bigger deal than NOT losing at Hereford.

We'd be on that list with Royal Engineers and Corinthians of defunct clubs with an FA Cup win to their name.

Actually you *could*.

If we had won the cup, would we have ended up where we did?

vulture

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
who was brian mckenna? i either don't remember him at all, or i've literally never heard of him
He was dog suit played one game in our play off season at home to Middlesborough we lost 4 2 and he was shit and after one of the goals went in he launched the ball in anger and it smacked gatting on the back off the head

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
For some reason I really liked Rust as a kid. I remember telling all the Saints fans at my school how we had Englands future number 1, seriously!

Smith for me. I thought we had made a good signing at the time but he was truly abysmal. And the poor lamb had to wash his own kit!!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
i once watched brian powney pick the ball out of the net 8 times in the same game

I recall that Norman Gall put his hands up to Clough after the game to acknowledge that he felt responsible for the hammering.
Despite his lack of height, Powney wasn't a bad keeper - he played enough games for us!

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Worst Brighton keeper?

Blayney 2nd time around was awful
Petterson was pretty crap
Smith was atrocious
Kuipers was bad pretty much all the time but did pull off a few very good saves.

Overall I'd say Smith was the worst keeper to play for us in my watching days (30 years)

Kuipers is without a shadow of a doubt the most overated keeper ever to play for us. It was no surprise that nobody else in the league wanted him.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I recall that Norman Gall put his hands up to Clough after the game to acknowledge that he felt responsible for the hammering.
Despite his lack of height, Powney wasn't a bad keeper - he played enough games for us!

my abiding memory of that game is powney spilling a free kick that went straight at him,leaving a tap in

i guess everyone is entitled to the odd howler

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Easily Henderson. His stock response to any shot was one of the following two things:

1) Be slightly out of position so have "no chance of saving it"

2) To gently palm the ball into the middle of the six yard box, invariably to an opposition player.

To then whine and whack in a transfer request when replaced by a superior keeper only cemented his utter shitness in both ability and attitude.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here