Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's worst keepers

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Correct. Henderson was a reasonable keeper. His only two shortcomings were a propensity to push the ball back into danger, and not being Michel Kuipers.
Yes. I was usually on the Kuipers side of that argument and he had a good season after taking over from Henderson so that probably confirmed the opinions of Henderson's critics, without him even being on the pitch.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Henderson by a long way, has he played since he left us? Scared witless he never left his line & blamed every defenders every time a header whistled past when if he'd moved a yard he could have prevented it. My least favourite PLAYER of all time & the sole reason why we were relegated & McGee should be ashamed in his bias towards a 'compatriot' over the legendary FDM who he brought back in far far too late after falsely being dropped in the first place

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Henderson by a long way, has he played since he left us? Scared witless he never left his line & blamed every defenders every time a header whistled past when if he'd moved a yard he could have prevented it. My least favourite PLAYER of all time & the sole reason why we were relegated & McGee should be ashamed in his bias towards a 'compatriot' over the legendary FDM who he brought back in far far too late after falsely being dropped in the first place

Where to start?

1. He moved UP a division when he left us.
2. He retired through injury two years later.
3. McGhee is SCOTTISH. Henderson is IRISH (those are two different countries).

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Watching him in the warm up you thought....at last we have a professional looking goalkeeper..... he seemed to do everything right. Then the game started and he just.................................... disappeared. Maybe it was confidence. Maybe he just never felt settled. Maybe he simply needed someone to do his laundry. Whatever, he was truly awful and must rate along with Petterson as "most unlikely to have ever been making a living as a professional footballer"
Smith's spectacular failure when he went back to Scotland made me happy, after those silly comments. I don't want to sound like a bitter person that holds grudges, but I am, so I do.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Watching him in the warm up you thought....at last we have a professional looking goalkeeper..... he seemed to do everything right.

I was just about to post when I first saw Smith in a warm-up I assumed he was a new outfield player messing about having a go in goal. He simply did not look like a keeper. And appearances were not deceptive.

And who thought it was a good idea to take Poke off Saints ? Although one of the posters on here says he has a good reputation within the Club.

The trouble with this sort of thread is it means nothing unless posters give some indication as to the length of time they have been watching. Someone who says Brez or Casper and who have been watching for 30/40 years or more wouldn't know a good keeper if Peter Shilton pointed one out to them. We have had considerably worse keepers as well as better ones. I would also venture to suggest that only keepers that were, at the time, considered first choice should be nominated.

For me (36yrs, for the record) I would give it to Henderson. It would be harsh to pick Packham because he wasn't a first choice keeper and only came in at the last minute and, I think, only played one game.

He had a whole catalogue of errors, mainly consisting of not pushing the ball to safety when making average saves and you seem to have forgotten his wonderous header against Watford!!!!

I've been following brighton for 41 years and Do Know a good keeper so here are my top five.

Grummitt
Beeney
Keeley
Steele
Corrigan

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've been following brighton for 41 years and Do Know a good keeper so here are my top five.

Grummitt
Beeney
Keeley
Steele
Corrigan

30 years.

Corrigan was no better than adequate for me.

Top 2:
Keeley
Roberts

Well above anybody else in the last 3 decades as far as I'm concerned. I do like Brezovan though, and rated Sullivan, too.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The person who said John Sullivan is an Idiot, he was a great young keeper, still to this day think we should of kept him, could quite easily be back up to our number one.

Not the worst keeper, but does anybody remember the keeper who played a couple of games for us towards the end of the division 3 title winning season, I think his surname was Jones?

the worst keeper I'v seen is Petterson he was awful, one of the worst performances iv seen from a keeper is Brezovan at Liverpool this season.

I wasnt at the game but didnt Adams sub off Kupiers at half time during his first season for such a dodgey first half.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
A lot of these only played a few games for us. Out of our long-term regular keepers, I'd have to say Walton.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The person who said John Sullivan is an Idiot, he was a great young keeper, still to this day think we should of kept him, could quite easily be back up to our number one.

I wasnt at the game but didnt Adams sub off Kupiers at half time during his first season for such a dodgey first half.

Agree 100% on Sullivan

Kuipers was subbed at half time on his debut, away to Southend, because he kept launching goal kicks into the stands.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

Grummitt
Beeney
Keeley
Steele
Corrigan

Iv been supporting Brighton for roughly 20 years I would say in that time my top 3 keepers are...

Roberts
Beasant (when he come in at around the age of 40 he was still class, also had the biggest kick i'v ever seen)
Kuipers ( not consistant at the time but had 3/4 seasons where he was class, the double save at Wolves for example)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
There was that keeper we şloaned in the mid noughties before Shaban that was pretty poor. Ormerod not great imo, nor McKenna... remember Smith saved a penalty... ;)

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Sullivan was an excellent young keeper (who is now in the Championship with Charlton).

His performance away to Leicester three years ago, is still the best I've ever seen from an Albion keeper. He was outstanding that night. One close range save from Fryatt was ridiculous.

He was immense that night, absolutely class. We should not have let him go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would love to have won that day and for us to be Cup Winners. It would have meant far, far more than the corner flags.

Well obviously, we'd all love to have won the cup. That's a given.

But there is no way you can state that NOT winning the Cup Final was a bigger deal than NOT losing at Hereford.

We'd be on that list with Royal Engineers and Corinthians of defunct clubs with an FA Cup win to their name.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here