Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton's worst keepers

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
... forced to learn behind crap defenses.
Discussing keepers in isolation, without considering the defenses they play behind, is looking for trouble iMHO.

Did anyone notice that BHA's goals-allowed ranking (8th in the Championship) is actually better than their final place in the table (10th)?

A couple of mares in non-league play have colored things remarkably.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well obviously, we'd all love to have won the cup. That's a given.

But there is no way you can state that NOT winning the Cup Final was a bigger deal than NOT losing at Hereford.

We'd be on that list with Royal Engineers and Corinthians of defunct clubs with an FA Cup win to their name.

I wasn't really suggesting that - it was just an important save that came into my head. I agree about Ormerod's save.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Think you're crazy for putting Ankergren and Brezovan in that group

this

most of the others listed were pretty awful at League 2 level, Ankergren and Brez were actually very good for long spells at League 1 level, maybe the Championship is slightly to far for them, but they're good league 1 keepers

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not even close. What difference in the club's path would it have made if Bailey had let that in? We'd be allowed triangular corner-flags at the Amex. Woo-hoo.

Had Smith scored, Brighton would have played in the Cup winners Cup, something we will now never do. If we were in Europe, we might not have sold the likes of Robinson, Smith, Stevens etc and may have bounced straight back to the top flight. No one can say what would have happened. As for Hereford, nobody can say for certain that had we gone out of the league we would have gone out of existence or that we wouldn't have reformed and come back stronger.

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
I always rated Simon Royce and Alan Blayney during their loan spells with the club. John Sullivan should not have been released/sold. Anyone saying Kuipers is mad and has no understanding about goalkeeping

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Unquestionably Henderson.

Really?

Played international football so he can't have been our worse by a country mile..................

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
. As for Hereford, nobody can say for certain that had we gone out of the league we would have gone out of existence or that we wouldn't have reformed and come back stronger.

Seemed the ONLY probability at the time tho

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Really?

Played international football so he can't have been our worse by a country mile..................

He was just terrible for us in my view. Realise he was an international and went to Preston for a decent fee. He seemed constantly nervous and maybe it was just a bad time confidence wise. I think it was the first season Wilkins was in charge and we were a side in progress.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I always thought Ormerod was good but then I had very little time for Rust but he was certainly nowhere near our worst.

I really liked the look of Sullivan, didn't understand why we let him go.

Smith looked clueless.

I think Kuipers probably put in the most amount of bad performances but had been great before.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I always rated Simon Royce and Alan Blayney during their loan spells with the club. John Sullivan should not have been released/sold. Anyone saying Kuipers is mad and has no understanding about goalkeeping

I thought Royce was awful, let in 12 goals in 6 games, this was in the side that won the league title? We only let in 30 in the other 40 games that season.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He was just terrible for us in my view. Realise he was an international and went to Preston for a decent fee. He seemed constantly nervous and maybe it was just a bad time confidence wise. I think it was the first season Wilkins was in charge and we were a side in progress.

That had something to do with a vocal minority of Albion fans constantly abusing him, for the crime of not being Kuipers.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
That had something to do with a vocal minority of Albion fans constantly abusing him, for the crime of not being Kuipers.

Neither was Ben Roberts and he coped. The guy was an international and he was abused by fans (not that I condone it because I don't) but because he wasn't very good when he played.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Neither was Ben Roberts and he coped. The guy was an international and he was abused by fans (not that I condone it because I don't) but because he wasn't very good when he played.

Maybe he 'wasn't very good', BECAUSE he was abused.

I can remember Henderson saving a PENALTY at Withdean, and being abused by morons behind the goal, because he didn't save the rebound.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Graeme Smith was absolutely appalling.

He stands out as the worst I can recall having seen.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Maybe he 'wasn't very good', BECAUSE he was abused.

I can remember Henderson saving a PENALTY at Withdean, and being abused by morons behind the goal, because he didn't save the rebound.

I agree, it was almost certainly because of that (and yes they are morons). I think the discussion though was who was the worst goalkeeper , not why. Happy to feel sorry for him but in my opinion it was him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here