Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Wrexham FANS UNITED Scarves Now On Sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn Hoddle

Feb 13, 2004
Mine and my dad's scarves also arrived today - brilliant!

And in answer to the Choking Bluetit:

Fans United at Wrexham in material terms raised at least £12,000 (£8,000 at the Racecourse, £1,000 at Withdean and at least £3,000 elsewhere).

It also received extensive coverage in six national newspapers, three Welsh regional newspapers, many local newspapers, Sporting Life, BBC Radio 5 Live (six times on six different programmes), Sky Sports, ITV Sport, BBC 1, BBC 2, over 86 football websites and too many radio stations to mention (although dad has logged at least 18!).

It created a feel good for Wrexham club, players and fans when they were at their lowest ebb (remember the feeling Brighton fans from 1996/97?) and gave them their biggest gate for 3 years. Also raised expectation and can be argued encouraged three serious bids for the club.

All this is due to hard work, dedication and unity by many, many people from Brighton, Wrexham and elsewhere.

Have a happy Christmas please and take some nice pills to ease your angst

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
attila said:
Tell you what, Bluebird. £500 says that AFC Wimbledon are higher in the league than Franchise in 5 years time! A

Have you lost your marbles? If you honestly want this bet you're on, but I can't believe you're serious......

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Glenn Hoddle said:
And in answer to the Choking Bluetit:

Fans United at Wrexham in material terms raised at least £12,000 (£8,000 at the Racecourse, £1,000 at Withdean and at least £3,000 elsewhere).

It created a feel good for Wrexham club, players and fans when they were at their lowest ebb (remember the feeling Brighton fans from 1996/97?) and gave them their biggest gate for 3 years. Also raised expectation and can be argued encouraged three serious bids for the club.

Perhaps Fans United did raise £12,000, but where is that money now? What has it been used for? What material difference has it made to the future of Wrexham FC?

You say that Fans United created a feelgood factor for Wrexham's players and fans. In the case of the fans, you are no doubt correct. But in the case of the players it hasn't seemed to have made any difference at all. In fact, they actually seem to have got worse since then (and I sincerely hope they find their form again soon because I've had a decent bet on Torquay to be relegated).

As for Fans United encouraging bids for the club, I reckon you're dreaming. There's no evidence of that at all.

I'm sceptical about Fans United not because I don't believe in the principle. I do, and very much so. But I'm sceptical about the end results.

Because the Knight

Dec 20, 2004
Carlisle
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Perhaps Fans United did raise £12,000, but where is that money now? What has it been used for? What material difference has it made to the future of Wrexham FC?

You say that Fans United created a feelgood factor for Wrexham's players and fans. In the case of the fans, you are no doubt correct. But in the case of the players it hasn't seemed to have made any difference at all. In fact, they actually seem to have got worse since then (and I sincerely hope they find their form again soon because I've had a decent bet on Torquay to be relegated).

As for Fans United encouraging bids for the club, I reckon you're dreaming. There's no evidence of that at all.

I'm sceptical about Fans United not because I don't believe in the principle. I do, and very much so. But I'm sceptical about the end results.

You really are quite sad aren't you?

The money was raised BEFORE the petition for administration was made and was there to aid "publicity" of the club's plight, for legal fees and to help a bid by WST for the club. All these financial considerations are still in force.

Now, if a bid from another buyer is successful, WST will use the funds to attempt to negotiate a place on the board, so never again will the club fall foul to unscrupulous property developers. As an aside only ONE British football league club is run by committee (Stranraer FC), where funds are recycled for the club, and this is a dream of many of WST.

As for your second point: club captain Darren Fergusson pledged his future to the club on the back of the FU Day, saying he never realised how important the club was to so many people. Two other players negotiated away from imminent transfer deals. Club secretary Geraint Parry said that the whole club (including manager and players) were galvanised by the FU day and it "gave them heart when morale was at an all time low".

As for the buy-out: two prospective buyers only became aware of Wrexham FC BECAUSE of the FU publicity, and Darren Ferguson himself shifted his arse on the back it to persuade a consortium to make a bid which may now result in Wrexham being saved.

BTW: I was at the Racecourse on FU Day, "milking the applause" (irony) and that day will stay with me longer than any Brighton game I have ever witnessed.

Brighton till I die!

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
attila said:
Bluebird - absolutely dead serious. Think about it. In 5 years time AFC Wimbledon will be higher than Franchise. If you want it - you're on. Money to the winner's deserving football cause of choice.

I have thought about it, and I think you've either been on the pop or you've gone nuts! It's going to be incredibly difficult for AFC Wimbledon to overtake Milton Keynes in just five years unless, of course, Milton Keynes go bust.

If you honestly do want this bet then you're on. £500 to the footballing cause of the winner's choice for whichever team is higher in the English pyramid system on 22/12/2009.

Attila is represented by AFC Wimbledon.

The Laughing Bluebird is represented by Milton Keynes.

Game on.

Bartonbankwrexham

Dec 22, 2004
Apologies to wxmfc2000. Seems I've got the Wrexham Supporters Trust and the Wrexham Fighting Fund mixed up.

It was the Fighting Fund that was initially raising money to pay the Inland Revenue bill (see link below), and that's where my donation went. Any idea what has happened to that money? Has it been passed on to the Trust?

http://www.red-passion.com/news04/news0611.htm

Although a Wrexham fan I did not donate to the fighting fund as I, and others, believed that if we paid the revenue and did not go into administration, the Chairman would get his way.
My understanding, of where your money and the rest from the fighting fund went, is that it was donated to the club to help pay the £20,000 it will cost to appeal the loss of the ten points.
I hope that answers your question, Bluebird.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Because the Knight said:
You really are quite sad aren't you? BTW: I was at the Racecourse on FU Day, "milking the applause" (irony) and that day will stay with me longer than any Brighton game I have ever witnessed.

Why do you have to make this issue a personal one? Why do you think I'm "quite sad" simply because I don't believe that Fans United days have any great effect on the futures of the clubs concerned? Do you consider everyone who doesn't share your points of view to be "quite sad?"

I would like to point out that I have never accused anyone of "milking the applause" up in Wrexham. That was Simster's interpretation of the events, not mine.

You say the Wrexham Fans United money was raised to aid publicity of the club's plight. That's the first time I've heard anybody suggest that was where the money was going, but if you were involved in the event then I'll take your word for it.

You reckon that a place on Wrexham's board for the WST will in future ensure that the club can never again fall foul of an unscrupulous property developer. So how would that work then? What if an unscrupulous property developer becomes the majority shareholder at the Racecourse? Isn't Andrew Smith a property developer? Isn't he (or his company) negotiating to become Wrexham's majority shareholder right now? Surely the WST will be unable to dictate the future of the club unless the Trust itself is the majority shareholder?

The rest of your post contains a lot of emotional talk about how the players and staff were lifted by Fans United day and how a couple of potential owners only became aware of Wrexham's plight because of it.

The emotional stuff can neither be proved nor disproved, and whether any of it makes any material difference to Wrexham's future or not remains to be seen.

As for potential buyers only becoming aware of Wrexham's situation as a result of Fans United, you must be having a laugh, surely?

Game on.

Winners' proceeds to the Fans United appeal to save Cardiff after Sam fucks off.

I'll make a solemn pledge I'll be there at Ninian shaking the buckets and milking the applause from all the grateful Cardiff fans.

Last edited:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Bartonbankwrexham said:
I hope that answers your question, Bluebird.

Yes, it does thanks. That's what I'd read recently. And I hope the appeal is successful. The 10-point deduction rule is a ridiculous one as far as far as I can see, and I can't understand why the clubs voted it in in the first place.

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
London Irish said:
Winners' proceeds to the Fans United appeal to save Cardiff after Sam fucks off. I'll make a solemn pledge I'll be there at Ninian shaking the buckets and milking the applause from all the grateful Cardiff fans.

It'll take a hell of a lot more to save CCFC than Fans United if Hammam fucks off. And you don't want to encourage Cardiff fans to start throwing coins around at Ninian Park again. We get in all sorts of trouble when that happens.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I have thought about it, and I think you've either been on the pop or you've gone nuts! It's going to be incredibly difficult for AFC Wimbledon to overtake Milton Keynes in just five years unless, of course, Milton Keynes go bust.

If you honestly do want this bet then you're on. £500 to the footballing cause of the winner's choice for whichever team is higher in the English pyramid system on 22/12/2009.

Game on.

I think this thread should be NSC Gold. I've made a note in my diary to check this in five years time, so the appropriate donations can be made.

:thumbsup:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Turkey said:
Big f***ing deal. Get of my case. Jeez..
What? I'm "on your case" because of that? How about you re-read the thread and see the sort of abuse I have taken, merely because I pointed out some poxy scarf looked shit. Jeez. Atilla's first comment in particular.

Turkey said:
And one more thing. The part of your LB quote which is actually your own words..:"Because you went to the Racecourse, accepted the invitation to milk the applause of a 8,000 crowd at half time and because you said this when it suited your argument"

I've said it before and think the others said it to. We found it embarassing. We certaintly didn't milk the reception. We didn't feel we deserved it and we were right. The applause I believe was towards all the efforts of football fans across the country.
Fair enough. As I understood it, you walked round the ground at half time (unlike fans of other clubs) and weren't too embarrassed to decline to take part. Nevertheless, if you were uncomfortably coerced into it or if there were other fans involved or whatever, then I'm happy to stand corrected and apologise for slurring you in any way.

But judging by the ironic use of the words "milked" since my initial post, this initial interpretation of mine is clearly seen as another very serious accusation by a good few others since that post. Consequently I await attilla's next thoughtful post, perhaps hoping that I die in a car accident or something.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
. And you don't want to encourage Cardiff fans to start throwing coins around at Ninian Park again. We get in all sorts of trouble when that happens.

:lol: touche

And the winner of the highly coveted, most cringeworthy NSC post of 2005 is....

Tooting Gull said:
I'd stay off this thread if I were you Corny, and call it a bad day at the office. You came on here sheep-style, fully expecting the weight of the NSC mainstream 'we love Wrexham' orthodoxy to see you home, and took a right hammering in public - plus were provoked into some Grade A sanctimony.

Time to cut your losses? :lolol:

A deserved winner, well done Tooting Gull, you fought off some stiff competition there. You must be proud.

Bartonbankwrexham

Dec 22, 2004
You think the 10 points is rediculous, bluebird, how about the fact that, because we are in admin, the league will not release £200,000 we are owed!! Apparently by doing that it will ensure we complete our fixtures.

Work that one out

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Bartonbankwrexham said:
You think the 10 points is rediculous, bluebird, how about the fact that, because we are in admin, the league will not release £200,000 we are owed!! Apparently by doing that it will ensure we complete our fixtures. Work that one out

One aspect of this whole affair that has really irritated me is the fact the Welsh FA have done absolutely nothing to help Wrexham. They just stood by and watched as Newport County died, and now it seems they would be quite prepared to let Wrexham die too. Unless you play in the Welsh Premier League, it appears that the FAW don't give a toss about you.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
attila said:
Simster, I apologise for my remark. It was out of order. Equally, a wind up is absolutely fine (having only recently become a regular NSC participant, I gather you are famed for it) but given the astonishing similarity between our situation circa 1997 and Wrexham's now, I did think your post was as bad.
Sadly for the rest of the board, I accept your apology and will admit that my initial comment was a wind up in the sense that I did post it in order to get a reaction. But they do look totally crap to me and I do feel that if I had taken the time to do something and received an abrupt or rude comment, I'd have just ignored it or made some "whatever" comment and not called that person a "f***ing prick" which is what this Wrexham retard did.

This whole thread has gone through some depressing troughs though. Unfair assumptions have been made (certainly I have never said a bad word about the whole Fans United concept), I for one was clearly a bit rude, and some other normally very reasonable posters have needlessly been at each others throats.

Lastly, just because Tooting is bored with this whole Wrexham/Fans United thing or finds it a bit sickly, that seems to make him a bad person in some people's eyes - I find that sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here