Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton were on the brink after Norwich's second bid..Gus reveals

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Norwich won't go up. They don't have the strength in depth.

We are on our way.

Wait till the summer when we know we are in the Championship and offer Bennett and improved deal ourselves to stay. Perhaps match Norwich's offer.

Brand new stadium. Much nicer area to live. He won't be going anywhere.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If the bid was £1million, we would have made a £550k profit on Bennett. The bid was under £1million, so the profit would have been less than £500k

If we go up we are rewarded with £4million. Bennett has been involved with just under 50% of all of our goals this season, loosing him could have cost us promotion and a £4million reward

Well played Mr Bloom Sir...

Agree with this. I don't see that it would be hard to turn down bids of c. £1 million with no time to bring in a replacement and with him being instrumental in us building such a useful lead at the top of the table.

I'm surprised Norwich didn't offer more. They probably need more quality if they are to get promoted to the Prem and they clearly like Bennett. You would have thought that with both clubs challenging for promotion the financial consequences of securing the signing were greater for Norwich and their Prem ambitions than they were for us.

All that remains is to see how pissed off Bennett is at not getting the move and how this translates into his form.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Argus....

Norwich made three bids.

Gus says that 'i was worried about losing him after the second offer, it was a tough decision, a difficult one for the club, credit to the chairman' 'I was never in the position where I was the one stopping him, or letting him go'

Then Norwich came back with a third and final bid.

Asked if a £1 million bid was accurate. Gus' It was getting close, it wasn't about about how much, they really pushed him' 'they made it very difficult'

Bennett now to decide on whether to withdraw his transfer request

I can see it was a difficult call to make. But I am not a poker player.

As a chess player, I would not have sold. There was no counter play. It was a threat.

I still can't see why Norwich wanted Elliott Bennett though. They already have a good midfield (on paper).

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
We've sent a message that our players are not cheap and we're not a soft touch. Well played Bloom and co.

naarich93

Jan 28, 2011
Stop with the inbred jibs - really pathetic and boring,the equivalent of everyone saying we're gay. Just not funny, believe me, they've heard it all before. And if you're laughing, then your sense of comedy and timing is absolutely dreadful. Norwich's a lovely city, arguably one of the best this country has to offer. And Norfolk's a wonderful county.

thanx

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Stop with the inbred jibs - really pathetic and boring,the equivalent of everyone saying we're gay. Just not funny, believe me, they've heard it all before. And if you're laughing, then your sense of comedy and timing is absolutely dreadful. Norwich's a lovely city, arguably one of the best this country has to offer. And Norfolk's a wonderful county.
I read an article a few years ago about the fact that inbreeding really is more prevalent and a bit of a problem in Norfolk than other areas of the country. I wish I could find it.
It works better than the gay "jibes" anyway since the gay community and the Albion fanbase isn't exactly a huge crossover, they come here from more backwards areas, if anything it's a compliment.

Nowhere in the article that I can see does it say we were "on the brink". :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here