Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton were on the brink after Norwich's second bid..Gus reveals

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Seriously, Tony Bloom :bowdown:

Gus one thing very WRONG though. No way was a bid 'close to million' a 'very good offer' for Bennett.

wonder if he was referring more to the overall offer to Bennett, but quite right nowhere near enough

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I agree with HKFC, close to a million is not a very good offer for Bennett. Close to £2 million and maybe we might just think about it, anything less is an insult. Tony Bloom has proven he's not a chairman to be messed with, gone are the days of our top players moving on for peanuts.

A superb move by the chairman and one that will further persuade the manager of the club's ambitions.
For me, this whole saga was more about Poyet than Bennett.

By giving up the million, Bloom has demonstrated his commitment to Poyet. Gus is now less likely to be tempted by offers from clubs like West Ham.

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
In fairness to Bennett he has conducted himself well by respecting the clubs wishes in staying quiet. No doubt Norwich were dangling a significant wage rise in his face which would have been very tempting. It is so reassuring to know that Bloom will not be moved unless he actually chooses to and decides it's in the best interest of the club.

As for Bennet's career, if he helps us to promotion then he will have a whole range of options in the summer, including an improved deal and prospects with us or a larger range of suitors than our friends from East Anglia. What better incentive could he have to help us realise the promotion dream.

This club has changed, and in a seriously good way. Onwards and upwards and bring on the resurgent O's!

That's a top post. At least, I agree with every word. The Albion and Bennett should both benefit from this decision. If he carries on as he is he may well have better options than Norwich (who I like) come the summer. Hopefully, we will be in old Div 2 and he'll stay anyway as we are on the up.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

By giving up the million, Bloom has demonstrated his commitment to Poyet. Gus is now less likely to be tempted by offers from clubs like West Ham.

Very good point. Everyone at Albion seems to have handled this well.

And by keeping his distance from the negotiations, Gus wil hopefully be able to motivate EB to keep playing at the top of his game now.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

I see it as a statement that even goes beyond Poyet( as he will eventually leave). It's a great sign to any other potential mamangers that Bloom will support them fully in their aims.

That kind of word would get around in football circles and be noticed by people higher up. Meaning next time we do need to seek out a manager we will be able to garner interest from higher quality/progile manangers than perhaps before.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Norwich made 3 joke offers and Tony laughed at them ???

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
In fairness to Bennett he has conducted himself well by respecting the clubs wishes in staying quiet. No doubt Norwich were dangling a significant wage rise in his face which would have been very tempting. It is so reassuring to know that Bloom will not be moved unless he actually chooses to and decides it's in the best interest of the club.

As for Bennet's career, if he helps us to promotion then he will have a whole range of options in the summer, including an improved deal and prospects with us or a larger range of suitors than our friends from East Anglia. What better incentive could he have to help us realise the promotion dream.

This club has changed, and in a seriously good way. Onwards and upwards and bring on the resurgent O's!

Seem spretty clear from what Gus says that although they had three bids rejected, Norwich had managed to let Bennett know what the deal would be. Pointless to suggest that "tapping-up" is illegal and that certainly qualifies. I think I saw somewhere else that the salary difference wasn't that much (presumably only 2 or 3 times as much!) so the big carrot was presumably the gamble of playing in the Premier League next season. Can't blame the lad really for wanting to take a chance on that can you.

Just so pleased that we have Tony Bloom holding our cards for us. What a difference it makes

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
The whole feel of this club at the moment is 'solid'.

Chairman, manager, players (if the theory of the agent's hand in all this is to be believed) and fans. Everything is clicking so well.

:albion:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Excellent, excellent work from the chairman. :clap:

Only one aspect of all this concerns me now - Bennett's attitude to all this. I am hoping he can appreciate the lengths Brighton rate him, how much he is wanted by colleagues and fans alike, and that he can put all of this behind him as quickly as possible.

Gary Dicker calls him an absolute professional, so I am confident that this will be sooner rather than later.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
This could well turn out to be a pivotal moment in our season.
With Bennett staying our chances of staying in the top two have increased tenfold, if we had sold him, then I should imagine we would have ended up in the playoffs.

This will send a message to all other clubs, that we are no longer a selling club.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What we need now is for Norwich not to go up, not even close.

If in the summer they go up or go close it will be a 'what might have been' for bennett. He could have been part of the promotion winning side, he might have helped them win that extra point or two they needed to go up, and that could lead to him wishing things had gone through.

If they fail he might see it as a lucky escape and be grateful to Brighton for stopping him making a mistake.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
“I was worried about losing him after the second offer. It was a very tough decision, a difficult one for the club and the whole future of Brighton, so you have to give credit to the chairman.”

...strikes me as slightly curious as the third offer would have been better still so presumably tougher, more difficult etc.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
If the bid was £1million, we would have made a £550k profit on Bennett. The bid was under £1million, so the profit would have been less than £500k

If we go up we are rewarded with £4million. Bennett has been involved with just under 50% of all of our goals this season, loosing him could have cost us promotion and a £4million reward

Well played Mr Bloom Sir...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here