Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton were on the brink after Norwich's second bid..Gus reveals

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Excellent, excellent work from the chairman. :clap:

Only one aspect of all this concerns me now - Bennett's attitude to all this. I am hoping he can appreciate the lengths Brighton rate him, how much he is wanted by colleagues and fans alike, and that he can put all of this behind him as quickly as possible.

Gary Dicker calls him an absolute professional, so I am confident that this will be sooner rather than later.

I'm sure he'll be professional, and obviously if he wants to leave its in his interests to play as well as he can. he will know we wanted him to stay, so he's going to feel "warm and fuzzy" towards us as well. But there is the worry his head will be a bit messed up, he might try TOO hard, and so a dip in form could be around the corner. I hope if that happens we don't get on his back. This will be a real test of Gus the man-manager.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
For me, this whole saga was more about Poyet than Bennett.

By giving up the million, Bloom has demonstrated his commitment to Poyet. Gus is now less likely to be tempted by offers from clubs like West Ham.

This was clear from the start. Bloom could afford a pissed-off player and to be a million worse off (which is really peanuts considering what he has put into the club) if he could keep Poyet happy. And so it proved.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So, alls well that ends well. What have we learnt from all this then. Not a lot really apart from reinforcing the good things about our club at the moment.

Tony Bloom is now officially the King of Brighton and Hove IMO. Well he already was but you know what I mean.
Gus has played it about right and as he says it wasn`t really down to him.
As for Bennett, well he needs to just play his heart out and get us promoted and we`ll all move on with no hard feelings. These things happen when you have good players.

First Wizard

Jan 30, 2011
Sadly for you guys, you've already lost him........mentally, okay, we won't get him, but someone will soon.

And if we do get promoted, he's going to end up hating your club.

Sad all round.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Sadly for you guys, you've already lost him........mentally, okay, we won't get him, but someone will soon.

Sad all round.

But not as sad as registering on a rival club's messageboard (and even uploading an image), and writing glib nonsense.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Sad all round.

When you fail to go up and have to off load your better players to cut your debt Bennett will see he made a mistake when we will be playing you next season.

Don't be surprised if Lambert is poached as well.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

Sad all round.
Bless. Thanks, we hadn't thought of all that. You can toddle off back to your dull farming community forum now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Sad all round.

They`ll upset your tummy, eating fruit like that.

Shuffle off back to the big eared boys now will you.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove

Sad all round.

Very difficult to take anything a inbred from Norwich has to say when your "majority chef, sorry stakeholder" comes out with utter shit like:

Where are you? Where are you? Let's be 'avin' you! Come on!

Please jog on and talk about something you do understand -turkey farming

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With the greatest respect, what we need now is Brighton to go up.

I was working on the assumption we would. Then next season we'd be in exactly the same boat as Norwich, and Bennett would see there was no advantage in the move. If we don't go up and norwich stay in the championship they'd still have the higher division over us. I thought that was implied.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Very difficult to take anything a inbred from Norwich has to say when your "majority chef, sorry stakeholder" comes out with utter shit like:

Where are you? Where are you? Let's be 'avin' you! Come on!

Please jog on and talk about something you do understand -turkey farming

Stop with the inbred jibs - really pathetic and boring,the equivalent of everyone saying we're gay. Just not funny, believe me, they've heard it all before. And if you're laughing, then your sense of comedy and timing is absolutely dreadful. Norwich's a lovely city, arguably one of the best this country has to offer. And Norfolk's a wonderful county.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton

Sad all round.

The only people he can blame are himself and his agent

We had no reason to sell him having just rewarded him with a new three and a half year contract with no doubt improved terms.

Fergus96

Oct 20, 2004
Hove
Ok thanks for that, having been to Uni in Norwich I am well aware of it of it's inner beauty! I will take your comments on board and think about my actions in the future!

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Asked if a £1 million bid was accurate. Gus' It was getting close, it wasn't about about how much, they really pushed him' 'they made it very difficult'

A couple of replies on here have alluded to the quote from Gus saying "they really pushed him" as if he`s referring to Bennett, but is he referring to Tony Bloom?, Ive read and re-read the full quote on the argus website and I`m still not sure he`s not referring to TB being pushed by Norwich, especially as if it refers to Bennett its basically saying they tapped him up and I`m not sure Gus meant that, or did he? What do you think?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Asked if a £1 million bid was accurate. Gus' It was getting close, it wasn't about about how much, they really pushed him' 'they made it very difficult'

A couple of replies on here have alluded to the quote from Gus saying "they really pushed him" as if he`s referring to Bennett, but is he referring to Tony Bloom?, Ive read and re-read the full quote on the argus website and I`m still not sure he`s not referring to TB being pushed by Norwich, especially as if it refers to Bennett its basically saying they tapped him up and I`m not sure Gus meant that, or did he? What do you think?

My first impressions from that quote was Bennett being tapped up.

How can 1 million be pushing Bloom?

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
MMMM,3 bids,thats the 2nd time my source has been spot on!!:)

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Once TB came out and said Bennett was staying then that was going to be the only outcome. Bloom has delivered on everything he has promised and he wasn't going to sully his reputation on a matter as important as this.

As for the Norwich fan's comments, well, it is clear he doesn't know the player or the team spirit we have. I would put a lot of money on Benno playing just as well for the remainder of the season, starting tonight.

PG

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
...strikes me as slightly curious as the third offer would have been better still so presumably tougher, more difficult etc.

Unless
Offer 1 was 500k
Offer 2 was 800k and Anthony McNamee
Offer 3 was 1.2 million...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here