Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Brighton waste collection strike….

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Expect a few low level managers to thrown under a bus when this is settled

What? Someone being held accountable in a local authority? Surely not?

I don’t understand any reference to a 2 week strike - I’ve not had a collection for a month. Can any one advise of the home address of the GMB guy so that I can leave my rubbish on his doorstep?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
What? Someone being held accountable in a local authority? Surely not?

I don’t understand any reference to a 2 week strike - I’ve not had a collection for a month. Can any one advise of the home address of the GMB guy so that I can leave my rubbish on his doorstep?

Yep, before the strike its not like the waste service in the city was any good. Frequent missed collections, and always different excuses while all other councils around the area and in other areas I know people living in carry on no problems at all.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yep, before the strike its not like the waste service in the city was any good. Frequent missed collections, and always different excuses while all other councils around the area and in other areas I know people living in carry on no problems at all.

In Henfield you can set your watch by the bin, recycling and garden waste collection. :hilton:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
After all this is over, I recommend a rebranding exercise to reflect the true opinion of the public.

Cityclean should become Cityfilth.

Binmen should be referred to as wasters.

D

Deleted member 22389

I see the drivers point. Must be bloody irritating when your used to driving one round but then get moved over to do another.

Either way this doesn't look good for the people in charge. Brighton needs a new council, because the place has gone really downhill over the last 10 years.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I see the drivers point. Must be bloody irritating when your used to driving one round but then get moved over to do another.

Either way this doesn't look good for the people in charge. Brighton needs a new council, because the place has gone really downhill over the last 10 years.

I would have thought that an important part of having a job as a driver, is the willingness to drive where you're needed to drive, not where you want to drive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

What do you mean by "new council"?

There's a new one every four years, democratically elected. There's been no overall control since 2003 and since then everyone except the Lib Dems have had a go at running it on a minority basis.

Stumpy Tim

That's literally their job. Imagine if everyone in the world went on strike every time they got irritated at work!

I don't know the details of the reasons for the strike, but if it's that then they can do one. I'm sure it must be more than that.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Was just listening to Radio 4 Today report on the bin strike while driving into Brighton. I heard one of the members of the public say, “you can smell it before you see it” and thought, well that’s surely an over-reaction.

Parked up in the North Laine. Opened the door, and sure enough, you CAN smell it.

Time for both the Council and the GMB to fix this. If I were these drivers, I would be saying that it’s time to go back because they’ve shown the council what can happen if they strike again. The Union will get more support if they are seen to be returning now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can any one advise of the home address of the GMB guy so that I can leave my rubbish on his doorstep?

His GMB offices are on the corner of Salisbury Road & Church Road in Hove.

I should add, in case you want advice if you’re ever irritated at work![emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

They’re drivers ffs [emoji2357]

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
That's literally their job. Imagine if everyone in the world went on strike every time they got irritated at work!

I don't know the details of the reasons for the strike, but if it's that then they can do one. I'm sure it must be more than that.

Exactly this, post people and bus drivers get moved to different rounds/routes all the time!!!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
His GMB offices are on the corner of Salisbury Road & Church Road in Hove.

Spot on. Would be a shame if the entrance got inundated with rubbish.

His home address would be more fitting……..

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The driver interviewed on Radio 4 was hilarious. He said that drivers spend a long time building up a relationship with their community. Bollocks. Until February, I’d lived in Brighton practically all my life in several locations and I never knew who my refuse team were.

They are on shaky ground and Mark Turner is just using a situation to stoke trouble.

Why not make CityClean Brighton an independent company. Independent from the Council and CityClean Group. That way, it would be paid on performance and would by now have collapsed having put them all out of work. They could then reapply for work at a new contractor.

I’m not suggesting there are no workers rights - fair pay, fair hours etc - but Mark Turner is demonstrating everything that is 100% wrong with the way some union reps go about their business.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The driver interviewed on Radio 4 was hilarious. He said that drivers spend a long time building up a relationship with their community. Bollocks. Until February, I’d lived in Brighton practically all my life in several locations and I never knew who my refuse team were.

They are on shaky ground and Mark Turner is just using a situation to stoke trouble.

Why not make CityClean Brighton an independent company. Independent from the Council and CityClean Group. That way, it would be paid on performance and would by now have collapsed having put them all out of work. They could then reapply for work at a new contractor.

I’m not suggesting there are no workers rights - fair pay, fair hours etc - but Mark Turner is demonstrating everything that is 100% wrong with the way some union reps go about their business.

What a joke, they spend a lot of their time sat on their fat arses looking at their phones.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Time for both the Council and the GMB to fix this. If I were these drivers, I would be saying that it’s time to go back because they’ve shown the council what can happen if they strike again. The Union will get more support if they are seen to be returning now.

you'd think so. but we see time after time unions dont grasp this concept and pursue a policy of digging in when the public turn against them. they're not very clever in this regard, after decades of this strategy failing them and damaging their members and unions.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Was in Brighton last night for a gig and couldn't believe the sacks of rubbish everywhere. Rats in plain view in many locations we walked past. Never seen the centre of town looking such a mess other than after Pride events.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

They tried that with Ecovert , the problem is you get the same militant workers in the majority or the sons, if you want the smell to go away you have to bury the shit not change the toilet and put the same shit back in it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here