Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v York City

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was 13 years old and couldnt understand why our own fans broke the goal. 15 years on and I still don't !

IMO - I'm not sure it was intential to break the crossbar, i thought it seemed (at first at least) a few fans thought that they would swing on the crossbar as they headed out to the middle but the bar snapped. I think that they might have then moved away and others then proceeded to pull the crossbar down.

I would have thought that if it hadn't have snapped and the game was able to continue after the invasion then we wouldn't have received anywhere near the amount of much needed coverage which highlighted our campaign nationally so it was a blessing in disguise

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The goals were to go-the only sure way to get the game stopped-people were not swinging on them for a bit of fun,it was quite serious the game had to be abandoned.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I don't think Euro 96 was featuring in the thoughts of many people that day. In fact, I know it wasn't.

Nor was it about "hoping for some publicity". It was sheer desperation and a wish to say NO - at what was, possibly, the last Albion match to be played at the Goldstone - or, in the worst case scenario, anywhere.

Pretty much spot on imo. The fear of losing the ground and possibly also the club was a far greater influence than publicity seeking or anything to do with Euro 96.

Fans felt frustrated that our board was being allowed to asset strip the club and had no plans for our future apart from possibly a few crappy drawings that would never get planning permission in a month of sundays and that could have been drawn by a 5 year old, no plans of where to play our matches the following season and that the FA did nothing to help us. Our future looked very bleak indeed and we felt compelled to do anything we could to try to save the club

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
The goals were to go-the only sure way to get the game stopped-people were not swinging on them for a bit of fun,it was quite serious the game had to be abandoned.

Once the first one was broken (accidentally / on purpose, who knows) then people may have thought about breaking the other one, but a lot of people there that day thought / hoped that the game would restart even after they were broken because they thought that another set of goalposts would be found and used. I think the original idea was for a mass pitch invasion and stop the game for a while and not necessarily the complete abandonment of the match that it turned into.

26-10-02

FFS MURRAY!!!!!!!!
Apr 22, 2004
purley
Is this a nigel on this thread, this should be good..not left or right wing, grandads docked newhaven and also labourers.. i work in the city tho and laughed at your spotty 300 teenagers.. cant imagine why you are called nigels. Now just watch the footage of the york city game and compare. Oh may as well throw in our charity shield. Being serious for a second, young nigel take a tip, its only football and only a laugh

Actually i'm 48 working class wannabee.I was at the city protest with loads of older fans ,but a lot of the time we were in the pub ,you should have introduced yourself.
Why would we smash our ground up ?We heard on Sat. morning three weeks into the close season the ground may be sold .By 12.30 over a thousand were there and yes a lot of videos show the youngsters but they are the ones that take them.
The gates were broken in and the ground was occupied,a few idiots started letting off the fire extinguishers and digging up a newly laid pitch.They were f***ed off.
Sunday night the owners said they needed fans outside lloyds to let them know that it is about the fans and not just money. Perhaps we should have smashed all their windows ,that would have worked.:dunce:
Until the saturday we had no idea the state we were in whereas you lot had enough time but still left it late.
I've explained this to you before and it had no effect as you still come out with the same old shit.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Pretty much spot on imo. The fear of losing the ground and possibly also the club was a far greater influence than publicity seeking or anything to do with Euro 96.

Fans felt frustrated that our board was being allowed to asset strip the club and had no plans for our future apart from possibly a few crappy drawings that would never get planning permission in a month of sundays and that could have been drawn by a 5 year old, no plans of where to play our matches the following season and that the FA did nothing to help us. Our future looked very bleak indeed and we felt compelled to do anything we could to try to save the club

The Euro part did not come into it your right,but fear of losing the ground-that was gone in 1995-no,it was trying to get publicity by the act of getting a game abandoned,that was the only way to get some form of action or help from the powers that be.time was running out-thanks/but no thanks as well to Chartwell we were able to stay in 1997 at the Goldstone.

As for those drawings- in Toads Hall valley and think what a joke

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
BHAFC and YC memories

The best of times, the worst of times. ?
The best of times as Brighton fans gained respect up and down the land.
The worst of times as the club itself was such a mess.
Thoughts, memories and any clips..

For me York City will always remind me of the first Cloughie game 0-0 i think, and a 7-2 victory, which was amongst an extraordinary run of results in which we beat Walsall 7-0, Ipswich in LC when they were riding high, WBA away from home again in LC (2 Wardy goals). Hopefully a bit more of that to come in the forthcoming season!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Once the first one was broken (accidentally / on purpose, who knows) then people may have thought about breaking the other one, but a lot of people there that day thought / hoped that the game would restart even after they were broken because they thought that another set of goalposts would be found and used. I think the original idea was for a mass pitch invasion and stop the game for a while and not necessarily the complete abandonment of the match that it turned into.

Me and obviously a lot of others felt different and thank god-still i'm not here to argue and everybody's interpretation and beliefs vary,but i think we will both agree that we are moving in the right direction and have thanks to everybody and TB especially a wonderful new home,times are good and even if we are relegated next season(god forbid)i will still like you love and care for the Albion.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Me and obviously a lot of others felt different and thank god-still i'm not here to argue and everybody's interpretation and beliefs vary,but i think we will both agree that we are moving in the right direction and have thanks to everybody and TB especially a wonderful new home,times are good and even if we are relegated next season(god forbid)i will still like you love and care for the Albion.

I was in the North stand that day and it appeared to break at first by accident, maybe there was a plan to break them anyway, who knows, who really cares.

Thankfully as a result of them breaking the game had to be abandoned and the huge publicity that followed did far more to aid our cause than anything else we did and maybe could otherwise have done, and maybe without that abandonment and the press it brought, and the pressure it brought to bare on those in authority to try to act to help us or at least take us seriously then we might not have had a club and certainly no new ground to enjoy (even if it has taken us this long to achieve it).

Does anyone ever talk about the sit down protest in the middle of the road outside the Hove Park Tavern? or even are protest at the FA HQ or anything else we tried?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I was in the North stand that day and it appeared to break at first by accident, maybe there was a plan to break them anyway, who knows, who really cares.

Thankfully as a result of them breaking the game had to be abandoned and the huge publicity that followed did far more to aid our cause than anything else we did and maybe could otherwise have done, and maybe without that abandonment and the press it brought, and the pressure it brought to bare on those in authority to try to act to help us or at least take us seriously then we might not have had a club and certainly no new ground to enjoy (even if it has taken us this long to achieve it).

Does anyone ever talk about the sit down protest in the middle of the road outside the Hove Park Tavern? or even are protest at the FA HQ or anything else we tried?

Yes they were great fun-mad fun-something different along with the walkouts and the retaking of the West Stand directors box-the Argus being banned and Baloney being told the police could not assure his safety.

hit the fa hq before england v italy

you, me and DF were some of the first few on the pitch, i was relieved when hundreds of others joined us . Do you recall the Fulham fans at Baker street prior to a euro 96 game telling us to keep on protesting and invading the pitch if necessary ?

euro 96 great days out

Attachments

• scan0018.jpg
    scan0018.jpg
    937.6 KB · Views: 141

bristolseagull

Jul 5, 2003
Lindfield

Does anybody know or know of the dear old lady that gets out of her seat from the south stand and just leaves the Goldstone after the Doncaster match-
pictured here at 0:16 with the head scarf and glasses,always sat there in the South Stand-

It really moves me watching this

anyone that watched that and didn't well up is dead inside.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here