Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BRiGHTON v ****** The rivalry that baffles football

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
from vitalfootball
----------------------

The rivalry between Brighton and Crystal Palace was recently voted 10th in the 'Football Rivalries Report 2008'. It is one of the fiercest, most intense rivalries in football yet it is baffling for many outsiders...partly due to the geographical distance and partly the fact that the clubs have player each other only a handful of times in the last 18 years.

We look at the history of the rivalry:

Part 1 - How it started.

The teams first met in the 1906/07 in a Southern League fixture which saw the Albion win 2-1, the clubs would go on to meet many times in both the Southern league and then division 3 (south) with honours fairly even but although there were some great matches the teams never really considered each other as their main rival until the mid seventies.

There were quite a few reasons why things intensified, the clubs were neck and neck footballing wise, the legendary Alan Mullery (Brighton) and Terry Venables (Palace) did not like each other (to say the least!) and the upsurge in hooliganism but it was an FA Cup first round tie in 1976, which really stoked the fires.

In 1976-77 season the teams met no less than five times: twice in the league and three times in an F.A Cup tie. After stalemates at the Goldstone and Selhurst Park the FA Cup Second Replay was held at Stamford Bridge that Palace narrowly won. Mullery was incensed by some diabolical refereeing decisions from Ron Challis including a penalty that had to be retaken and a disallowed goal! After provocation from the Palace fans he justifiably flung down five pound notes change into a puddle and screamed 'You're not worth that, Palace' whilst gesticulating at them.

He instantly became a legend with the Brighton and a villain in Croydon and it was then that the rivalry really kicked in, both on and off the field, quite often reaching boiling point.

It was also around this time that the Albion changed their nickname from 'Dolphins' to 'Seagulls' in response to Palace's 'Eagles'. Over the next few years the rivalry would get even stronger and Boxing Day would gain greater significance for both clubs.

At the end of the 1976/77 season both Brighton in 2nd and Palace (somewhat luckily) in 3rd place were promoted from the old 3rd division. The next campaign saw the Seagulls narrowly (and controversially) missed out on promotion to the old 1st division by goal difference but they went one better in 1978/79 as they reached the lofty heights for the first time in their history finishing up as runners up...to Crystal Palace!

The intensity of encounters between the two sides increased with every game on and off the pitch where there were quite often running battles between fans...and both sets of supporters had an ever-increasing plethora of not so complimentary songs and chants about their counterparts. Quite often these were the same songs with just the words changed round to suit the purpose.
Playing in the top flight only increased the tensions further....fixtures between the clubs were now held on Boxing day and at Easter and always drew large crowds, intimidating atmospheres and off pitch battles between the fans. There were four top-flight games in total between the teams, the Seagulls won 3 and drew one of them.

After an initial false dawn, the Croydon side spent most of their stay in the Division 1 flirting with relegation on a regular basis, the hilariously and ironically dubbed 'team of the eighties' were eventually relegated in 1980/81...Brighton would show their superiority by staying on in the top league for another 2 seasons, managing a cup final appearance in the process.

Alan Mullery O.B.E. had quit the Seagulls in 1981 following a bust up with the board... and after a brief stint at Charlton, amazingly was appointed the Palace manager! It was a truly bizarre appointment as he had been number one villain with the Selhurst faithful, some of whom even defected to Chelsea as a result of the appointment...needless to say, he wasn't exactly welcomed with open arms and within 2 fruitless years he had left to be replaced by Steve Coppell who went on to become an Eagles legend and would much later provide another strange twist in the story.

The Albion were relegated from the top flight in 1983 and once again found themselves in the same league as their Croydon counterparts and agent Mullery completed his mission as Palace boss by ensuring that Brighton completed the double in the two fixtures that season. Serious crowd trouble at the Easter Goldstone match only increased tensions even further.

1984/85 saw the Seagulls complete their customary Goldstone win but the game at Selhurst saw Palace take a rare point in a 1-1 draw. Sadly, the result was overshadowed by a horrendous tackle from Henry Houghton on Albion stalwart Gerry Ryan, which ended the Irish, mans career. It was a tackle that was condemned by many, including Albion`s then manager Chris Cattlin, but never by Ryan himself.

Brighton`s dominance continued over the next 2 seasons, with 4 victories in the 5 meetings between the two clubs. The latter of the two seasons had also seen the brief return of Alan Mullery as Seagulls manager...sadly it didn't work out second time round and they were relegated at the end of the 1986/87 campaign.
Once again there was violence at the Goldstone fixture in the 1987 Easter clash between both sets of supporters.

After gaining instant promotion back to the old 2nd division at the first attempt the clubs renewed acquaintances in 1988/89 and of course the Seagulls trounced the Eagles 3-1 in the Boxing Day game at the Goldstone. The return match at Selhurst, which the Eagles won 2-1 saw referee Kelvin Morton award 5 penalties (4 to Palace of which they missed 3! and 1 to Brighton which they scored!). Hilariously, that season also the Eagles trounced 9-0 at Liverpool, a score line that caused much amusement in Sussex.

Unfortunately, Palace were promoted to the top flight and the sides would not meet again competitively for quite a few years as the Seagulls slid gradually down the leagues and nearly going out of existence before the new Dick Knight/Mickey Adams regime revived the club. The Eagles meanwhile remained in the 2nd tier with the odd foray into the top flight that would inevitably end in swift relegation!

There was only a Zenith Data Systems cup match and occasional friendlies (one of which was moved to a Friday night on Police advice!) between the sides that kept the rivalry going until the new millennium.

It should be mentioned that despite the fierce rivalry, many Palace fans turned up to show their support at the 'fans united' day game against Hartlepool in 1997 when the Seagulls were at the height of their troubles.

You will find that October 26th 2002 will probably be among many Brighton fans worst days ever as a supporter....after 13 years apart the Seagulls and Eagles would finally meet in a competitive fixture and the fierce rivalry would be rejuvenated....around 7,000 Albion fans made the trip to Selhurst in anticipation and watched in disbelief as their side performed appallingly and suffered a 5-0 drubbing, much to the delight of the Palace faithful. It is a result that hurts, even to this day.

Just weeks prior to the game Brighton had spiced things up by appointing Steve Coppell as their manager and then had signed another ex Palace favourite Simon Rodger!

The return fixture, which was the first meeting between the two sides at Withdean saw the Albion outclass their opponents but unfortunately they could not manage to score and it ended 0-0. Perhaps if they had won that match they would have been able to avoid an instant return to the 3rd tier of English football.
Life was never boring as a Brighton supporter at this time though and just a season later they were back in the Championship, via a play off final victory over Bristol City...frustratingly, Palace had also been promoted themselves via the play offs....to the premiership.

The 2004/05 season saw the Seagulls survive in the championship by the skin of their teeth and the Eagles were relegated back to the 2nd tier....so the teams would get to meet again.

The first match was at Selhurst Park in October 2005 and it saw Brighton gain revenge for the 5-0 reverse by beating the Eagles with a solitary goal from defender Paul McShane. The return match, just over a month later was televised on Sky TV and saw Palace win 3-2 with a last minute goal after being behind twice. Recording their first competitive win in Sussex for 42 years
...and that`s where it ended....for now.

The rivalry is not quite as strong as it was in the 1970's and 1980's but it is still very much there and the majority of supporters from both clubs still consider the other to be their main rivals despite the attentions of Charlton and Millwall for Palace and the likes of Orient and Reading for Brighton.

Both sets of supporters still chant about each other, take great pleasure in the others downfalls and look to claim bragging rights wherever possible.
Ironically Current Eagles boss Neil Warnock insinuated recently in the national press that Brighton might well be 'sleeping giant`.

Falmer could see Brighton step up to a more level playing field with Palace and then the rivalry can truly recommence.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I have always respected the opinion of Neil Warnock and am happy to make that publically known.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm reading Mullery's autobiography at the moment. Here's what he says about the Palace incident:

"Trouble flared with Palace when a controversial penalty incident knocked Brighton out of the FA Cup. I was furious and at the final whistle I remonstrated with the referee. As I walked back down the tunnel, Palace fans spat all over me. I gave them two fingers, then did an awful interview bad-mouthing those supporters and saying I wouldn't give a fiver for any of the Palace players. I could have handled things better but I just totally lost it. It didn't go down too well at Selhurst Park and I knew the fans there still held a grudge".

:bowdown:
Legend.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
"Hilariously, that season also the Eagles trounced 9-0 at Liverpool, a score line that caused much amusement in Sussex."

hmmmmm

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember most of those games mentioned. I went to the 2 FA matches at the Goldstone and Selhurst but missed the Stamford Bridge one. Can't remember why now - probably work. I think the original Stamford Bridge match, which I was going to, was postponed due to bad weather.

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Can't remember the exact year but it was around 1982 - 1984 when Palace were playing us at the Goldstone. They had been playing nearly 10 mins before I realised it had stated.... I was too busy watching the fans kicking two bells out of each other in the north stand and away supporters corner.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'm reading Mullery's autobiography at the moment. Here's what he says about the Palace incident:

"Trouble flared with Palace when a controversial penalty incident knocked Brighton out of the FA Cup. I was furious and at the final whistle I remonstrated with the referee. As I walked back down the tunnel, Palace fans spat all over me. I gave them two fingers, then did an awful interview bad-mouthing those supporters and saying I wouldn't give a fiver for any of the Palace players. I could have handled things better but I just totally lost it. It didn't go down too well at Selhurst Park and I knew the fans there still held a grudge".

:bowdown:
Legend.

I read that a while ago Easy, a good book. I didn't know he'd gone though such turmoil in his private life.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm about halfway through at the moment. It is a cracking read, definitely one of the better football autobiographies.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I guess it is a bit strange but still its very very real,fact is palarse and brighton are split through mid sussex in which makes it better.May not have played them much recently but we have played them more times than millwall or charlton have(80 ish)the atmosphere is fantastic and i can see why its in the top ten as most derbys i watch are rather boring and sterile.

The amount of old bill at that 1-0 win was unreal,long may it live and christ lets get promoted fast and shit on those eagles:drink::albion2:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Amazing Piece. Recomended to any fans unsure of the origins of the rivalry. (like me!)

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
on the same night that we won 4-2 away at Wolves - Truly the prefect night

And Pompey lost 3-0 at home, to Sheff Utd if I recall correctly. We used to have a bit of a thing with Pompey too, remember, especially when Alan Ball was managing them and they were less than cultured, and we were both rivals for promotion from div 2.

Edit: I had a meeting at work first thing in the morning the next day, with a Palace supporter. We had an hour-long meeting in which I never mentioned the game at all. He called me when he got back to his office to tell me it had been excruciating waiting for the piss-take which never came, almost as bad as watching the game itself. So much more rewarding than actually taking the piss, I think. :smokin:

Last edited:

"Hilariously, that season also the Eagles trounced 9-0 at Liverpool, a score line that caused much amusement in Sussex."

hmmmmm

Attila's poetic account of the occasion ...

Schadenfreude: noun malicious pleasure in the misfortunes of others. 19c: German. from Schade hurt and Freude joy (Chambers 21st Century Dictionary)

Remember Paul Hardcastle's crap disco hit 'N-n-n-nineteen..?'

N-N-N-NINE NIL (The Paul Hardcastle Remix!)

Tuesday September 8th 1989 began like any other day in the footballing calendar, with newly-discovered Team of the 80s, Crystal Palace, travelling to Anfield to test their Colditz-like defensive qualities and mesmerising attacking skills against the sacrificial lemmings of Liverpool. Now football is a funny game, as the utterly retarded cliche goes, and on this particular evening it proved to be a very funny game indeed, in fact a positively hilarious, side-splittingly humourous one, even more mirth-inducing than David Beckham trying to define existentialism or Bill Archer attempting coitus with a paper-shredding machine. For while Palace's much-feared rivals Brighton and Hove Albion were thrashing Wolverhampton Wanderers 4-2, at Anfield the final score was Liverpool 9, Crystal Palace 0. Liverpool 9, Crystal Palace 0. N-n-n-nine nil, nine nil. N-n-n-nine nil, nine nil. And following those fateful n-n-n-ninety minutes on that hilarious Tuesday night the hapless halibuts from Selhurst Park were subjected to fierce and merciless ridicule from the rest of the football world and many of them are still living out their experiences to this day. Even now the South London branch of the Samaritans receive mysterious phone calls where the only audible sounds are donkey-like voices braying bewilderedly 'Nine nil. N-n-n-nine nil. Ee-aw! Nine nil. N-n-n-nine nil. Ee-aw! And when the Palace players got home, obviously in need of moral support and counselling following their torrid n-n-n-nine nil experience, none of them received a hero's welcome. None of them. None of them received a hero's welcome. N-n-n-none of them. The long term effects of such an unbelievable n-n-n-nine nil annihilation are hard to predict, but it seems likely that many of the Crystal Palace squad may have been be so demoralised that they may have been forced to leave professional football and sign on. S-s-s-sign on. Sign on. S-s-s-sign on. S-s-s-sign on, sign on. S-s-s-sign on, sign on. A worse fate even than this may well have befallen the Palace goalkeeper Perry Suckling, a man who, rather like the Queen Mother, wears gloves for no apparent reason, for his intense feelings of humiliation may well have led him to emigrate, and sign on in Vietnam. V-v-v-Vietnam. S-s-s-sign on. V-v-v-Vietnam. S-s-s-sign on...........(repeat ad nauseam)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here