Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton v Liverpool Will be on TV - Wednesday 21st 7.45pm kick off [merged]

The Maharajah of Sydney

Jul 7, 2003
Sydney .

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I can't see what all the fuss is about regarding how long there is between these fixtures.

Firstly players train during the week, they don't just turn up to matches and play for 90 minutes before waiting until the next game before they do any more running. If, as we have here, the players training schedule will be altered to ensure that they are fairly fresh for each of these matches (such as skills work / tactics / set piece work rather than running in training)

Secondly clubs can cope with multipple games in a short space of time, we had 8 games in a month last season and won them all, you can get several games in quick succession around Christmas and also non league clubs with smaller squads can cope when they are often left facing 4 games in 8 days towards the end of their seasons as they have to play all their rearranged fixtures etc, by a certain date due to player contract expiry dates and this can often lead to a glut of games in a very short space of time.

There is no reason i can see why we couldn't have our best XI playing both games and still being fine for the Palace game later. - how about we stop panicing over nothing

Fawkesy

Apr 11, 2009
Well said!!!!!

People on here either don't understand the game or just get so wound up when everything isn't all perfect in the way they want it and start shouting the odds like :
I AM NOT GOING TO LIVERPOOL NOW
or
THEY NOW NEED TO MOVE LEEDS
or
RESERVES IT IS THEN

Our squad CAN cope with these fixtures, and not only that they are all HOME games which is a massive boost as no travel days needed!!!!Come on people this is when supporters are supposed to SUPPORT the club and not unleash a load of moaning rubbish!!!!

very well said!

the fact that they are all home is a massive factor as it wont interrupt and scheduled training sessions

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
very well said!

the fact that they are all home is a massive factor as it wont interrupt and scheduled training sessions

At least you 2 agree with me! I don't think people understand the fitness levels of proffesional footballers these days.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I said in another thread, this is what players train to do and playing 3 games in the space of 6 days shouldn't be a problem.
It would have been a lot more helpful if the game was on a Tuesday, that's all.
small rotation of the squad will work a charm. Such as Noone playing in the Liverpool game and LuaLua (or a new signing) to play against Leeds.
Other way around please, Noone is on fire and we want points. LuaLua could start against Liverpool with Noone coming on near the end, so he's still fit for Friday.
Liverpool, Leeds and Crystal Palace all have league games the weekend before the Carling Cup, all have Carling Cup games midweek and ALL have league fixtures the next weekend. :)
But Leeds get to play on Tuesday, so they get 2 days off compared to our 1. Liverpool and Palace don't play on Friday, so we are the only ones that get just 1 days rest.

Come on people this is when supporters are supposed to SUPPORT the club and not unleash a load of moaning rubbish!!!!
There's a lot of moaning, but it's against the FA, not against our club. Do you think Poyet is happy with the dates?
Did you see how knackered our players were against Peterborough on Saturday? That was after 120 mins against Sunderland on Tuesday night. Imagine if we had 120 mins against Liverpool on Wednesday and had to play again on the Friday night.
This

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Read what I posted. I am not thinking the same 11 players will start both wednesdaay and friday
Not all, but we expect a fair few to play both, because we don't have a choice.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am not boycotting it and I doubt anyone is. I am just not bothered about the result and if you aren't bothered about the result there's no point in going. I will be up for the Leeds and Palace games though as they matter. I think Gus will be thinking along the same lines.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
I think the only tricky game in the 3 games would be Leeds Utd, who currently have w1 d1 l3 gd-1 pts4
Leeds Utd on current form will be in big trouble here against any squad we put out.
After Leeds the players have ample time to recover before we smash scum on the following tuesday.

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
its not ideal, granted. but this is why football is a SQUAD game and not just about 11 players.

Exactly. Possible line ups for the two games (Liverpool/Leeds)

Ankergren/Brezovan
Calderon, Greer, El Abd/Elphick, Tarrico
LuaLua, Dicker, Sparrow, (New Signing)
CMS, Barnes/Hoskins/Bergkamp/New Signing

Ankergren
Calderon, Greer, Dunk, Painter
Noone, Harley, Dicker, Bridcutt
CMS, Barnes

The top team could be the sort of team to face Liverpool. AND potentionally beat them. The second team could be the one to face Leeds. Thats a potential 7 changes and both games still winnable.

EDIT: It actually wouldn't matter which team faces Liverpool or Leeds. Although, the 2nd line up would be better for the league.

Last edited:

What's all the fuss about?

I am convinced we will put out the best team available to us for Liverpool.

The place is going to be rammed with fans paying top dollar.

Gus will be on TV - he will want to make a good impression

It's early in the season, the squad is fit, professional will have played just 90 minutes of football in the previous 18 days.

We have no travelling to do. There was probably a similar amount of rest time between Cardiff and Blackpool games.

The Leeds game is on 20 hours earlier than it might have otherwise been - they will cope!

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Bit of a bastard ain't it. Do you reackon Gus will play a stronger side against Liverpool and have more time for players to rest against palace or play a weaker side, so we have more of an impact in the league?

BHAFC_AMEX

Feb 5, 2011
Bit of a bastard ain't it. Do you reackon Gus will play a stronger side against Liverpool and have more time for players to rest against palace or play a weaker side, so we have more of an impact in the league?

If you look at my last post, with those two team line ups, we can win both.

One4the.road

Jan 10, 2011
Liverpool get there own way we play wednesday night and Leeds Friday both live in sky

Tough on us I think Leeds game comes first

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here