Votes: 64 59.8%
  • Great Idea

Votes: 43 40.2%

• Total voters

Jonno

Enthusiasm curbed
Oct 17, 2010
Cape Town
Here in Austria, I've encountered the Rapid Vienna Ultras a few times and they are without doubt one of the biggest bunch of knobheads I've ever come across. The concept of Ultras is not English and carries with it a lot of unpleasant baggage - political extremism, racism, fan violence - all of which thankfully seem to be less a part of the game back home these days.
Let's all just be Albion fans, we don't need to divide ourselves into 'hardcore' groups, what's the point?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Not viewed the videos above as the having a name like “ultras” sounds very thuggish with a lean towards violence. Don’t know if that’s the intention, but I assume the videos are not of a regular football supporters but a group who want to noticed with a look at me attitude.?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Weren't the 'Ruffians' going to be our Ultras? Or has that whole Ruffians thing died a death?

Personally I've got mixed feeling about British Ultras. One one level it's obviously great that a group of fans want to generate an atmosphere but when there's only about fifty it can look extremely dorkish. Plus it's not really 'us' is it? Organised fans group aren't really a British thing. It may be my age though, all I want is a pie, a pint and a terrace; in my experience the atmosphere then tends to look after itself.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Whilst people maybe uncomfortable with the term Ultra, it would be great to see the North Stand leading the ground in atmosphere, with flags, banners and constant chanting. That stand is just the right size and should attract a really up for it group of fans, I'd love to see them get organised and drag the rest of us into it.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think the comments on this thread highlight a distinct lack of understanding about the modern ultra movement - particularly in this country.

And just because some Italian clubs link their ultras with right wing politics and extremism does not mean they all do. Far from it.

I think the saddest thing is what has happened to football in this country to necessitate a conscious effort for fans to group together and sing / create a good atmosphere. I remember the days when this happened naturally...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Cringey, old hat idea , look on youtube and plenty of ultra groups that to be honest look a load of half wits singing stupid songs. Ultras I think would basically attract the worst of the H block.

Best just have the North, f*** the ultras tag, we want lads in there, older lads and singers of all age groups. The word ultras will instantly put so many off.

Call the North for the Ultras and it will be a geek fest and the real lads will end up in the West.

Keep it open and we can have the main noise in the West and North.

If the first year at Amex is like a morgue then why not but I just don't see the need at the moment. It will be fine

Safe.

Jun 8, 2008
I'm all for creating a good atmosphere but this ultras idea is a complete joke.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I'm all for creating a good atmosphere but this ultras idea is a complete joke.

Seconded.

When I think of Ultras in this country, I think of 16 year old boys pretending to be hard men by starting up groups of rude bois.

Atmosphere, Yes. Ultras, No.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
All for it. Colour and noise, couldn't be further removed from hard men and right wing politics. Look at some of the Aberdeen pictures online - what's not to love?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here