Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton tory council... leopards never change their spots

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Tories are only in power because Labour screwed up and the Greens jumped on the "anti Labour , dont waste your vote on the LibDems" bandwagon which split the vote and let the Tories win seats in addition to their own gains. Some wards will never change their political allegiance , Rottingdean for one , so the Tories will always have a representation on B&HCC.

I don't think you've got the handle on the political set-up down here.

The Greens have done no such thing. They might be a fringe party in the majority of the country, but they are NOT an 'anti' party in Brighton. They have their own agenda which - rightly or wrongly - resonates with a certain cross-section of Brighton life, and I can see them realistically winning Brighton Pavilion consituency at next year's General Election.

The fact that their vote comes largely from disaffected Labour voters is not only down to Labour's problems.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"It's times like this when you miss excellent (and excellently-named) councillors like Nimrod Ping. "
Quoted by The Large ONE

he is dead you insensitive *******

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I don't think you've got the handle on the political set-up down here.
The fact that their vote comes largely from disaffected Labour voters is not only down to Labour's problems.

When I last lived in B&H there was basically only 3 parties to choose from.
So is the popularity of the Greens partly due to activism and fed up Labour voters casting a protest vote which in other parts of the country would have gone to the BNP ?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
"It's times like this when you miss excellent (and excellently-named) councillors like Nimrod Ping. "
Quoted by The Large ONE

he is dead you insensitive *******

So why should he not be missed? I am sure most of the labour supporters would say EXACTLY the same thing about John Smith.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have said many times

They are horrible, those Tories. Cah!

Great news that the Tories are pissing a lot of people off in my home town, if the people they are pissing off are from elsewhere f***ing tough shit move elsewhere you smelly unwashed gits.

Gnight, replies are welcome to my post from Brighton born and breds, the rest of ya f*** off home BRA RULE.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Great news that the Tories are pissing a lot of people off in my home town, if the people they are pissing off are from elsewhere f***ing tough shit move elsewhere you smelly unwashed gits.

'kin Londoners , say no more. I think most of the smelly unwashed gits are former pikeys.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
When I last lived in B&H there was basically only 3 parties to choose from.
So is the popularity of the Greens partly due to activism and fed up Labour voters casting a protest vote which in other parts of the country would have gone to the BNP ?

What you have to bear in mind is that I feel Brighton sort of stands apart socially from many other places in ways that are intangible. Ask me to explain it, and I could only give you a 'feeling' of what I mean.

There are many facets of it that make it a liberal city, a transitional city, a (relatively) free-thinking city, a place for artists and actors and creative people come to work. But it's also largely a white, aspirational city - with few of the immigration issues which we're being led to believe is blighting our glorious nation, and people here have seen through the BNP as a repugnant, regressive party based on all things Brighton doesn't like to see itself as being.

There are people who want a city life, but without the sense of city problems. I don't to resort to calling them 'middle-class hippies', or 'tree-hugging muesli munchers' because that is merely a stereotype which misses the mark by quite a distance (though some do fall into those camps, obviously). There is a resonance of social responsibility - in the broad sense - which many city dwellers find appealing, and which other parties are merely paying lip-service to.

The Greens popularity down here is partly fed up Labour voters, but the increase in their popularity has been going on for a good 10 years and more - long before the BNP started making their serious in-roads elsewhere, and long before Labour started haemorrhaging voters. Their popularity has also been indigenous.

City-wide, this is no protest vote. For instance, I am not voting Labour this time, and if I lived elsewhere, I probably wouldn't vote. But the Green candidate does appear a viable and attractive proposition in her own right (irrespective of whether one could claim that I am voting to try and keep a Tory candidate out) so she will 'probably' get my vote.

I wouldn't even go so far as to call the Greens progressive, and I certainly wouldn't want a Green Party in government, but a stronger voice in Westiminster is overdue.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The Tories have ALL the votes on Brighton & Hove City Council's executive Cabinet Committee - the body that takes the decisions.

But for how long?

After the recent by-election isn't now possible in theory for the opposition to pass a resolution to remove the current leader and then elect a new leader from their own ranks who could pick a new cabinet?

Of course this would require a lot of co-operation amongst the greens and labour and if I am correct the 2 lib dems as well (I understand the independent is effectively a Tory). And co-operation isn't exactly common in politics.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Poxy binmen! No sympathy for the workshy twats. Any excuse to down tools for the day and not work and you can rely on Brighton & Hoves binmen to take it. Any excuse not to empty your bin and they will use that too. The amount of shit I'm now expected to recycle its a wonder I have anything left to throw out anyway. Christ half my bloody driveway is now dotted with flaming recycle boxes. Half of it ends up being shipped to Brazil or China anyway so whats the bleeding point? Its a stupid pointless exercise anyway all this recycle nonsense to save the planet. If China, the USA and Russia stopped pumping so much pollution into our atmosphere and causing 90% of the worlds refuse and carbon emissions then maybe we could make a difference but the UK not throwing away their placcy bags is effectively just a gesture compared to what really needs to be done. :rant: rant over and relax!

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Have you used the sirens and flashing lights to get back in time for your tea break and bacon sarnies?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
not sure if thats the full and complete story with the binmen, i note a "Staff believe" in there and wonder how much union input and editorial leaway has been involved there.

however, the business rents for the seafront, if true, is bang out of order. council should be cutting rents not rising them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Poxy binmen! No sympathy for the workshy twats. Any excuse to down tools for the day and not work and you can rely on Brighton & Hoves binmen to take it. Any excuse not to empty your bin and they will use that too. The amount of shit I'm now expected to recycle its a wonder I have anything left to throw out anyway. Christ half my bloody driveway is now dotted with flaming recycle boxes. Half of it ends up being shipped to Brazil or China anyway so whats the bleeding point? Its a stupid pointless exercise anyway all this recycle nonsense to save the planet. If China, the USA and Russia stopped pumping so much pollution into our atmosphere and causing 90% of the worlds refuse and carbon emissions then maybe we could make a difference but the UK not throwing away their placcy bags is effectively just a gesture compared to what really needs to be done. :rant: rant over and relax!

To be fair, most binmen I have come across are...

...utter shit. My local binmen will not touch our recycling or waste as they have to come through a doorway, which is potentially lethal, to reach our rubbish/recycling.

Harking back to my Withdean days, most litter collections supplied more waste in the streets that we do over the whole season (as football fans).

I don't see the massive issue. The income levels are f***ed and they are being paid more than clssroom assistants. Take it on the chine. You won't be paid thousands to collect rubbish. If you want more, then find a better job, via decent qualifications.

Collar Feeler

No longer feeling collars
Jul 26, 2003
Have you used the sirens and flashing lights to get back in time for your tea break and bacon sarnies?

No.

But I did get stuck behind a f***ing great bin lorry in Clarendon Villas once a few years back and the useless twats took so long to get back to the lorry I ended up having to do a 16 point turn in the middle of the road (with my lights and sirens going) and take an alternative route. Luckily the woman getting a good shoeing from her pissed up husband that I was enroute to was still conscious as we arrived and piled into the wifebeater.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here