Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton tory council... leopards never change their spots

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh, I do agree. I worked, as a volunteer, at the Fishing Museum one summer and got to know most of the yokels very well. The Council must do their utmost to protect small businesses along the seafront and in the Lanes/North Laine to protect the uniqueness of the city (sic).

That's a great place. And the wet fish shop next door is great as well.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
That's a great place. And the wet fish shop next door is great as well.

Good old Neil :bowdown:

He works his fingers to the bone. Up before anyone to get to the markets and holds out for much of daylight. Good fish to be had there.

I do miss wandering down there on a summers day. The retired/ex-fisherman playing cribbage and snacking on winkles and what-have-you.

A great friend of mine is a trustee of the fishing museum and uses the workshop to run his handyman/carpentry business. He fitted out Due South with their furniture which was descirbed as 'funky' in the Observer, recently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Since the early 90's the Tories couldn't get a look in in Brighton especially, until around 5 or 6 years ago when they began to chip away at Labour's majority.

..and it's no coincidence that Brighton started to improve around this time.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
..and it's no coincidence that Brighton started to improve around this time.

Surely the seed was sown when the economy began to improve, thanks to Ken Clarke.

What is noticeable is that many, many projects die a death in Brighton. Something to do with all councillors, developers, but also the local residents. I don't think blame can be levied at one particular group. Possibly also people/developers getting ideas above their stations and getting far too carried away with the whole 'place to be'.

Why was that and why did they start to chip away at the Labour majority?
If you want my opinion ... the internal bickering in the local Labour Party ended up with a lot of excellent, hard-working councillors being de-selected. The leadership became far too interested in its own survival and the party became increasingly incapable of being seen as truly representative of local people.

This left a huge gap for Green Party activists to walk straight into.

The Tories have never properly defeated Labour in Brighton - they've just benefitted from the growth in Green Party support and achieved control of the Council without having to put any effort into it.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
If you want my opinion ... the internal bickering in the local Labour Party ended up with a lot of excellent, hard-working councillors being de-selected. The leadership became far too interested in its own survival and the party became increasingly incapable of being seen as truly representative of local people.

When was that then? And anyone specific in mind?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

The Tories have never properly defeated Labour in Brighton - they've just benefitted from the growth in Green Party support and achieved control of the Council without having to put any effort into it.

I did want your opinion along with others. I was, quietly, referring to people voting for national politics as opposed to local politics for local people. I seem to remember you talking to someone, Seagulls Party times, who was in full support but would not change his vote from Conservatives as he had always voted for them. (Actually, that is a crap example). But you get my drift, I hope. Go with the national feel and so on...

The Greens sneaking in, would be down to the fact that Brighton is a magnet for Middle-Class Hippies and the major parties were definite latecomers to the whole green movement. Plus, it is a decent protest vote.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.

Isnt that indicitive of 'new' Labour throughout the country?

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

I seem to remember you talking to someone, Seagulls Party times, who was in full support but would not change his vote from Conservatives as he had always voted for them.
... whereas I know for a FACT that at least one Labour hereditary peer voted Seagulls, rather than for the party that he was a member of.

If Labour can't even get out the vote of its own parliamentarians, then it is in a very sorry state.

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
Labour IS in a sad state tho. People like me who have voted Labour all their working lives are looking for alternatives.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

That may well be but we're so much better off without that twat Simon Battle - a complete MONG !!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The Tories are only in power because Labour screwed up and the Greens jumped on the "anti Labour , dont waste your vote on the LibDems" bandwagon which split the vote and let the Tories win seats in addition to their own gains. Some wards will never change their political allegiance , Rottingdean for one , so the Tories will always have a representation on B&HCC.

Best. Councillor. Name. Ever.
Pete Best. Councillor. First Green ever elected to Brighton Council.

Just before Nimrod Ping died, he joined the Green Party.

Gscene News Archive: Nimrod Ping dies

Nimrod Ping’s conversion to the Green Party did not come easily. At the time he said: “When Labour won national power in 1997, we were expecting change, but things have gone the wrong way. They are too right-wing and have an absolute disregard for people’s opinions. The Greens are working to sort out problems rather than create more and I agree with almost everything they say.”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here