Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton in TROUBLE according to our friends up the road

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's that? A sensible post from a Palace fan? Not allowed on here, sorry

Oh, I don't know - I think we should welcome a sensible Palace fan (although it is a bit difficult to accept the existance of such a being!) who makes some reasonable points (eventhough I don't necessarily agree with them. Teams have gone up and fallen through the trap-door before (including us) but I don't think it'll happen this time.
Going back to earlier parts of the thread, IF TB suddenly turned round and said, "Right, I'm bored now, I'm off. Please repay the loans now" - we WOULD be in trouble...............but he hasn't and we ain't!

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Experience counts for "f*** all"?! Good grief. Pull the other one.

OK then, your players are experienced in just surviving season long relegetion battles, whereas ours are experienced in winning promotion. Is this a better type of experience or worse? Just by having played at a certain level for longer it does not make your team better.

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
Is this because you have not seen these players play though, or because you have not heard of them? To be honest you have no idea about our defence or midfield do you?

I've seen and know enough of the likes of Greer, El-Abd, Dicker and Bridcutt (amongst others) to have a reasonable idea of how they might fare in the Championship. I think they're your weakest areas and you are more than likely to lose games as a result of this. I like Calderon though, classy player.

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
OK then, your players are experienced in just surviving season long relegetion battles, whereas ours are experienced in winning promotion. Is this a better type of experience or worse? Just by having played at a certain level for longer it does not make your team better.

Playing at a higher level more than likely indicates they're better prepared mentally for competition in that league as they've seen it all before, no?

For a lot of your players, it's going to be sink or swim.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Completely different kettle of fish. Swansea were by far the best footballing team in the division last season but that was built on the basis of a strong and steady defence and midfield, something I'd argue you don't have.

Swanseas starting back four last season all played in the league 1 promotion team from a couple of seasons back. Milwall did alright, there back four and midfield were relatively unchanged from there promotion from L1, as were Norwich. In fact, Norwich's most impressive signing was who? Andrew Crofts, a league one midfielder signed from us.
Look at who got relegated, Sheffield United and Preston both had BAGS of experience at the back. St Ledger was clearly a good defender if Leicester were after him, Utd had Morgan at the back who has tonnes of experience.

You're post means f*** all, and proves experience is far from neccessary. You keep going after players like Earnshaw and Gardner, on a continual decline in their careers and see where it gets you. Not that either seem remotely interested in signing for you at any point.

PortuGull

Gooooooooooooooooooooolll
Jul 10, 2011
Brighton Marina
I take your point that the stadium provides a strong selling point for your club. But as for on the pitch itself? It counts for nothing, Palace could play Brighton on a park pitch (Selhurst Park, I hear you predictably cry!). I can see why you're optimistic, I would be in your shoes but the Championship isn't a league to be taken lightly - many a club in your position have come up and fallen straight back through the trap door, for every Norwich fairytale there are the far more plentiful Scunthorpe and Peterborough horror stories.

Your signings? Meh. I think you've overpaid for Buckley and Mackail-Smith at this moment in time but if they combine to get you hatfuls of goals then it's money well spent, similarly with Hoskins who has been in this league and been diabolical, though perhaps a few seasons at League 1 has made him a better player - time will tell. You do, in my opinion, come up short in terms of quality and Championship experience at centre mid and at centre back and without adequate players (and cover) in such crucial areas, it could prove to be your downfall, no matter how many goals you might score. But there are many weeks until the window shuts.

I'm certainly not taking you lightly. We can crow all we like about getting Murray off you on a free but his lack of experience is a worry, as is his attitude which I understand can be questionable. We've the experience of this division as we keep on telling you which counts for a lot. As I said, roll on 27th September when bragging rights can be rightfully obtained as opposed to the pie in the sky talking from both sides.
referring to the WSU catering outlets? :clap:

"Originally posted by bobby smith, and modified:
I will bet any PALARSE fan any amount of money that Amex pies beat the sh#t out of Selhurst pies :) :drool:

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
Oh, I don't know - I think we should welcome a sensible Palace fan (although it is a bit difficult to accept the existance of such a being!) who makes some reasonable points (eventhough I don't necessarily agree with them. Teams have gone up and fallen through the trap-door before (including us) but I don't think it'll happen this time.
Going back to earlier parts of the thread, IF TB suddenly turned round and said, "Right, I'm bored now, I'm off. Please repay the loans now" - we WOULD be in trouble...............but he hasn't and we ain't!

I don't think you'll get relegated either. The likes of Coventry and Watford and going to struggle big style this season.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
I take your point that the stadium provides a strong selling point for your club. But as for on the pitch itself? It counts for nothing, Palace could play Brighton on a park pitch (Selhurst Park, I hear you predictably cry!). I can see why you're optimistic, I would be in your shoes but the Championship isn't a league to be taken lightly - many a club in your position have come up and fallen straight back through the trap door, for every Norwich fairytale there are the far more plentiful Scunthorpe and Peterborough horror stories.

Your signings? Meh. I think you've overpaid for Buckley and Mackail-Smith at this moment in time but if they combine to get you hatfuls of goals then it's money well spent, similarly with Hoskins who has been in this league and been diabolical, though perhaps a few seasons at League 1 has made him a better player - time will tell. You do, in my opinion, come up short in terms of quality and Championship experience at centre mid and at centre back and without adequate players (and cover) in such crucial areas, it could prove to be your downfall, no matter how many goals you might score. But there are many weeks until the window shuts.

I'm certainly not taking you lightly. We can crow all we like about getting Murray off you on a free but his lack of experience is a worry, as is his attitude which I understand can be questionable. We've the experience of this division as we keep on telling you which counts for a lot. As I said, roll on 27th September when bragging rights can be rightfully obtained as opposed to the pie in the sky talking from both sides.

good points by both of you, but trigger, i think the pitch itself may well count for a lot, and we are likely to play many teams off the pitch,,who do you think We resemble most, Norwich or scunthorpe ?,weve paid the going rate for Buckley, Hoskins,m.smith et all, and your opinions will need revision, IMO !

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Playing at a higher level more than likely indicates they're better prepared mentally for competition in that league as they've seen it all before, no?

For a lot of your players, it's going to be sink or swim.

For all players it is sink or swim. What is better, players on their way up still striving to reach their best, or players who have reached their level or are on the way down?

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
Swanseas starting back four last season all played in the league 1 promotion team from a couple of seasons back. Milwall did alright, there back four and midfield were relatively unchanged from there promotion from L1, as were Norwich. In fact, Norwich's most impressive signing was who? Andrew Crofts, a league one midfielder signed from us.
Look at who got relegated, Sheffield United and Preston both had BAGS of experience at the back. St Ledger was clearly a good defender if Leicester were after him, Utd had Morgan at the back who has tonnes of experience.

You're post means f*** all, and proves experience is far from neccessary. You keep going after players like Earnshaw and Gardner, on a continual decline in their careers and see where it gets you. Not that either seem remotely interested in signing for you at any point.

Fair point. But Swansea's players became accustomed to the Championship, attained experience in the league, got better, and under Brendan Rodger's stewardship were set up in a way that made them an incredibly difficult team to break down.

My post does indeed mean f*** all. As does every single one on every thread on this every football messageboard going. No-one can make a difference to what goes on apart from those employed by the clubs in positions to actually make the difference. I won't lose sleep over people disagreeing, I thought I'd come on here and have a reasonable debate with you...it's not going badly.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I've seen and know enough of the likes of Greer, El-Abd, Dicker and Bridcutt (amongst others) to have a reasonable idea of how they might fare in the Championship. I think they're your weakest areas and you are more than likely to lose games as a result of this. I like Calderon though, classy player.
By the same token, I'd suggest that your strike-force is looking pretty weak - with regards to proven goalscorers. Aside from Murray (who has yet to make an appearance at this level) not one of your strikers managed to notch up more than TWO goals last season. That can't fill you with too much confidence?

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
By the same token, I'd suggest that your strike-force is looking pretty weak - with regards to proven goalscorers. Aside from Murray (who has yet to make an appearance at this level) not one of your strikers managed to notch up more than TWO goals last season. That can't fill you with too much confidence?

It is shite. It's the weakest area of our team. We're relying currently on Murray hitting the ground running (jury's out on that) and our young'uns Zaha and Scannell to notch. Oh, and Jermaine f*cking Easter and 65 year old Steffen Iversen.

We need a goalscorer in, pronto. But they don't grow on trees, and cost lots of money.

osgood

Apr 17, 2011
brighton
while we think a centre back may be imminent, we are ok centre mid thanks, IMO, in any event i will put up an even K that we finish above you, PMs please

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Read threw a few posts on the palarse forum and was a good laugh. I like how they all just go along with whatever the other suggests :lolol:

wakokid

Jun 10, 2011
Lancing

To me, this just confirms that you haven't got a clue about our players.

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
good points by both of you, but trigger, i think the pitch itself may well count for a lot, and we are likely to play many teams off the pitch,,who do you think We resemble most, Norwich or scunthorpe ?,weve paid the going rate for Buckley, Hoskins,m.smith et all, and your opinions will need revision, IMO !

Neither. I think you'll be a Doncaster kind of side, which I'd take as a compliment given their commendable rise (whilst playing decent stuff) from League 1 a few seasons ago.

Still think you've been ripped off on the three players mentioned but time'll tell.

Trigger Finger

Jul 18, 2011
To me, this just confirms that you haven't got a clue about our players.

I'm not suggesting I'll be as clued up as any Brighton fan about your squad, like I wouldn't expect you to be about our mob.

I can only go on what I've seen, I think you're weak in those areas.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here