Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton & Hove Albion vs Swindon Town *** Official Match Thread ***

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
from my spot in the East stand the 2nd penalty was frankly an embarrassing decision by the ref, no wonder Swindon were so incensed. The penalty kick almost seemed in slow motion, like the keeper dive, landed on the floor, then the ball hit him. weired. First class from Murray to win it (again), great movement and work rate from him today.

Pretty sure it was a stone wall pen - tripped Muzza from behind stopped him from getting there...

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Pretty sure it was a stone wall pen - tripped Muzza from behind stopped him from getting there...

You might be right, will be interested to see it again, looked to me like Muzza was running from behind the guy and tripped over his legs. You don't normally see such a reaction for a stone wall pen...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
You might be right, will be interested to see it again, looked to me like Muzza was running from behind the guy and tripped over his legs. You don't normally see such a reaction for a stone wall pen...

Maybe - I can't say it was the clearest incident but Muzza did seem to be clipped. I wasn't happy that Swindon delayed the taking of the kick deliberately though - and as for the little fucker moving the ball when Dicker was ready to take it - Glad he was on the losing team for that alone.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe - I can't say it was the clearest incident but Muzza did seem to be clipped. I wasn't happy that Swindon delayed the taking of the kick deliberately though - and as for the little fucker moving the ball when Dicker was ready to take it - Glad he was on the losing team for that alone.

Two of them did that. One of them moved it while the ref was talking to the captains. I find those delaying tactics so frustrating, and unfortunately they often work, and the only way I can think of it being stopped is to automatically award the goal. If you book/send the delaying player off there is further delay and the taker is still put off. But, of course, it won't happen because you can't just award penalties. Perhaps give a second penalty if the first is missed?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
thisa was avery decent swindon side, who passed us out of the game at times. I have only really seen charlton do that to us at home this year.

With all due respect it's easy to do that when you have nothing to lose. Swindon are in their position because they have been crap all season. They are by no means "a very decent side": they are a poor side who rose to the occasion somewhat and put up a reasonable performance, probably because they're playing for contracts next season under a new manager.

I'm not saying for a second it's easy to play against them, at this time of the season nerves and all sorts of factors kick in and interfere with the natural order of things, but let's not start suggesting they're any more than they are.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

What were your thoughts after seeing it again? More of a pen then I originally thought, but still looked a bit of an accidental trip and coming together of legs rather than an a foul. Furious if given against you I think...

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Two of them did that. One of them moved it while the ref was talking to the captains. I find those delaying tactics so frustrating, and unfortunately they often work, and the only way I can think of it being stopped is to automatically award the goal. If you book/send the delaying player off there is further delay and the taker is still put off. But, of course, it won't happen because you can't just award penalties. Perhaps give a second penalty if the first is missed?

Agree with that, and I was really suprised how Mark Halsey let himself be pushed around like that by a bunch of League One players. This is a guy who is supposed to be able to control Premier League stars week in, week out and he was clearly intimidated into a) not handing out the right punishment for original incident, and b) allowing excessive two-minute delay to the kick being taken, plus failing to book people moving the ball (obviously unsportsmanlike conduct, though he needed help from other officials).

I'm sure he was being pushed by Swindon players, got a reasonable view from the family stand. If you're going to do that as a team, you should expect at least a few bookings.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Delaying the restart is a yellow, should have dished out a few...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Delaying the restart is a yellow, should have dished out a few...

True, but it doesn't eliminate the problem. It's like defenders pulling their opponent down on the half way line and taking the yellow, because it's effective. Dishing out yellow cards actually add to it. Not only do you get the time you wanted to delay, you get the bonus of the delay from the ref carding you. At least with time wasting the ref can stop his watch and add the time on at the end. The ref can't have the penalty taken quicker. The more I think about it, the more I think a second penalty should be given if the first isn't scored.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

The laws of the game not the rules do not allow that so it could never happen. The only solution would be an automtaic red card still delaying the kick granted but the offending team would be handicapped by losing a player, in this case for some considerable time and having to play one short or two or even three if the situation warranted it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The laws of the game not the rules do not allow that so it could never happen. The only solution would be an automtaic red card still delaying the kick granted but the offending team would be handicapped by losing a player, in this case for some considerable time and having to play one short or two or even three if the situation warranted it.

Yes. I meant that when I said 'you can't just award penalties' - I meant to say you can't just award goals.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What were your thoughts after seeing it again? More of a pen then I originally thought, but still looked a bit of an accidental trip and coming together of legs rather than an a foul. Furious if given against you I think...

It's very very hard to tell as the camera is moving and it's pixelated. Can't even see for def if there's contact but assume there was. It's one you appeal for if it's on your player (as we did) and one that's soft if you concede. If we have got lucky, it's about time as we had rotten luck earlier this season!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

It was very annoying. I also feel Dicker placed the ball WAY too early and remember thinking that at the time as the Swindon players were in full flow shouting at the ref. He was making it clear he was taking it but should have just held the ball or had a chat with a team mate rather than placing it and waiting 2 mins!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here