Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Its a bit concerning that the ref missed two crucial decisions in the game with VARs helping him out.

Talking about refs decisions …anyone watching on tv have a view on the Maupay booking ..from ESU it looked like Murphy pulled him back initially and should have been a second yellow …instead they got the free kick and Maupay yellowed

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You are looking for excuses it’s a boring watch playing football that slow

Other than Lamptey and Trossard, no one took responsibility with forward runs or passes.

Sideways and backwards, it seemed like Duffy had half our touches. Howe completely happy throughout by leaving Dunk and Duffy unmarked …. he doesn’t rate their instinctive passing ability one bit, that was clear.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
We played well up until the goal. Then the fans started to moan and grumble.

Potter needs to find a way to stop the players reacting to the fans negativity.

Sorry, have to disagree with all but your first sentence.
The fans were in no way to blame for the very, very poor second half performance. The players gave the impression that they were entitled to win that game, on the simple basis of being 1 - 0 up at half time.
They need to snap out of that attitude asap, as NO game is a 'given' in the Premier League.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Talking about refs decisions …anyone watching on tv have a view on the Maupay booking ..from ESU it looked like Murphy pulled him back initially and should have been a second yellow …instead they got the free kick and Maupay yellowed

Exactly, it warranted a yellow each.

Refs since the age dot do this, concentrating on the second incident or retaliation.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I don't think it's a coincidence our home form has been so comparably poor for so long. The Amex was designed to accentuate sound both positive and negative.

Our away fans are brilliant. Our home fans moan and grumble. It clearly affects the performance.

I think taking a lead affects our performance more.

On a serious note, I don't think many were 'moaning and grumbling' at out first half showing - why would they? It was competent and we went in a deserved 1- 0 up. Chances were hardly flowing and it was a controlled game....until that awful second half.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Exactly, it warranted a yellow each.

Refs since the age dot do this, concentrating on the second incident or retaliation.

Murphy got caught by Maupays trailing arm because he was virtually horizontal trying to drag Maupay back ..I could be looking through blue n white tinted glasses here but surely he should have been off

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Another delightful away following giving it the big one on the steps towards the coach park

They’ve made up a little song for Bissouma and calling Albion blokes with their kids nonces. Classy outfit indeed

Can’t wait for Yorkshires finest

Yep, walking back to the bus, some Geordie looked at me holding my daughters hand, and shouted “she’s a bit young for you ain’t she pedo”

Then called another fan near me a “Gay Cvnt”

Lovely folk, he was about 19 and spotty, if I would have lurched at him and he’d run a mile.

Not what you need to explain to your daughter, evening game, so I guess to it’s to be expected by northern Neanderthals

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Other than Lamptey and Trossard, no one took responsibility with forward runs or passes.

Sideways and backwards, it seemed like Duffy had half our touches. Howe completely happy throughout by leaving Dunk and Duffy unmarked …. he doesn’t rate their instinctive passing ability one bit, that was clear.

Webster was progressive when he came on .

Same old story I’m afraid and it’s frustrating to watch

Too slow + Lack of movement = Sideways football

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
You are 100% right, life isn't bad. But we should have buried the Toon tonight. I worry about our team's finishing skills. We look weak TBH.

It's not so much that we lack a killer instinct; it's more that we're not familiar with the ****ing concept.

You're spot on, we quietly dominated up until the equaliser... we need a better forward line, obviously... so obviously it hurts. The fact that GP is playing a false 9 in Leo says it all... he's playing brilliantly in that role, but we lack a truly natural finisher or a different option perhaps....? I know we've all said it time and time again, but we must address our glaring problem if we're to make that historic final push for a top 8 position.

We should have gone hell for leather before half time for a second goal, why we didn't is perplexing... They were there for the taking... GP has again promsied we'll learn from it... will we ? Maybe if we can find a player/personality who can deliver fear and goals... Man, what I wouldn't give to see a Cavani type signing... Sweet Jesus we'd be a proper team then.

I'm dreaming again, I know .... sigh.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
With all his Man Management Psychology Influencing qualifications how is it that Mr Potter can get the team to raise all parts of their game against the big boys yet give such a poor account of themselves (regularly) against totally turdular opposition?

"turdular" :lolol:

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Yep, walking back to the bus, some Geordie looked at me holding her hand, and shouted “she’s a bit young for you ain’t she pedo”

Then called another fan near me a “Gay Cvnt”

Lovely folk, he was about 19 and spotty, if I would have lurched at him and he’d run a mile.

Not what you need to explain to your daughter, evening game, so I guess to it’s to be expected by northern Neanderthals

Was he also massively fat?

Someone said at least he knows who his dad is, which he didn’t like

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
When your mates make you go in goal and you really don’t want to

7d9c70b0548ad8b27fa819b6cc613269.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Webster was progressive when he came on .

Same old story I’m afraid and it’s frustrating to watch

Too slow + Lack of movement = Sideways football

I said last week (even before the match!) that Klopp’s rock n roll football suits us down to the ground. FB’s 50 yards up field, Albion teams mug that space. When we play a solid team or counter attackers, it’s a whole different ball game. A season isn’t defined by second half performances against Citeh (still losing) and Liverpool.

Howe put 9 behind the ball, just Wilson targeting Sanchez throughout, the team nonplussed by Dunk and Duffy.

The conundrum …. how to breakdown and consistently beat managers/teams who sit deep in huge numbers?

Last edited:

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I don't think it's a coincidence our home form has been so comparably poor for so long. The Amex was designed to accentuate sound both positive and negative.

Our away fans are brilliant. Our home fans moan and grumble. It clearly affects the performance.

1. I wasn't there tonight so could not contribute in person. But it was quiet on TV, so agreed.

2. The Albion need to provide a spark to get the home crowd going. As far as I can remember, it's always been this way.

3. In the 2nd half, the crowd would not have got going had it been collectively warmed in a saucepan, marinated in kerosene and then applying a match. The performance was that poor.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Maupay reaction to the foul was why he was booked. once booked he should have shut up or he could have gone as well.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I said last week (even before the match!) that Klopp’s rock n roll football suits us down to the ground. FB’s 50 yards up field, Albion teams mug that space. When we play a solid team or counter attackers, a whole different ball game. A season isn’t defined by second half performances against Citeh (still losing) and Liverpool.

Howe put 9 behind the ball, just Wilson targeting Sanchez throughout, the team nonplussed by Dunk and Duffy.

The conundrum …. how to breakdown and consistently beat managers/teams who sit deep in huge numbers?

i think Trossard showed he had the ability/footwork and needed to stay in that area rather than drop back.... shame we couldn't have brought Sarmiento on. In retrospect don't think he could have done any worse.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Think the Toon fans got to Biss, when defending a corner from in the first half, they gave him the pedo chant, he kept looking at them and away and back at them, all the while I was thinking don’t react, please god don’t react, he did well, but it got me thinking, he may move away and play in Europe if this continues. He looked lost and I felt sorry for him, but also conflicted.

Poor second half, we should have been out of sight by half time, good last ten minutes when we woke up, again too little to late.
But another point to safety

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

The Amex is no different to most grounds in this country. Fans react to what's going on on the pitch. How often do you hear 'the home fans have been silenced' etc on the telly when watching games

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here