Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Newcastle United *** Official Match Thread ***

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Have you ever tried playing football when it's over 20 degrees in the shade, you've played once evey four days for a month having not played for over 3 months before, you've nothing to play for and you don't want to get injured for another season that starts in under two months? If you were expecting Man City at their best you were probably watching the wrong game.

Very generous. Glad I wasnt there. Yrs I do expect more commitment to try and win from 2 sides who were both safe from relegation. I was even looking forward to game as thought as we were safe we would give it a go.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Never said I'm not behind Potter, but feel that the constant comparing is beginning to feel like feeble attempts to tarnish Hughton's time. One plays defensive, one offensive, There is as much to a well organised defence as there is a well organised attack.

You realise that Potter’s side this season have conceded LESS than Hughton’s side last year? :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You realise that Potter’s side this season have conceded LESS than Hughton’s side last year? :shrug:

Yes - the ball has been further up the pitch.....
Not sure it's to do with defensive organisation.

But as I keep saying there is more than one way to play football.

Weird though in that considering how offensive we have been, we've only scored two more goals and won fewer games...... Though hopefully we'll give Burnley a pasting.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
What a shit show that was, perfect game for behind closed doors, I started to watch the whole replay, but plumbed for the 'lowlights' and even that was torture.
If any of you think that it will be different in the last game against Burnley then you are deluding yourselves.
We are better under GP than CH, but not by much statistically, I hope and expect to see more positive steps taken in this 'revolution' next season.
Head tells me that it will be the same relegation battle at the end of next season, heart is trying to convince me otherwise.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
Think that’s one of the first games I’ve been really disappointed with Potter, probably because I expected some free-flowing attacking stuff with the pressure off. We managed it in the early stages of the season so I hoped it would return without the stress of being dragged into relegation places. Would have been nice to go into the last game with the chance of catching Palace. Never mind.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Geordie in peace here,

First off, congrats on staying up, you must have been fairly confident given the buffer you had, but it's good to be mathematically safe before the final day.

That was one of the worst games of football I've watched in years. Our lot were on the beach from the off, but some bizarre selection choices made a dead rubber deader and more rubbery. When your best attacking player is knackered and recovering from a calf twinge, why bother playing him for the majority of the game? Why not start the lad you've got on loan who's done ok in his place? Why shoe horn a right back into the centre instead of the young promising centreback you had on the bench?

Bruce is out of his depth in the Premier League and although we've survived so much of that has to be because of good fortune in front of their goal and a good 'keeper in front of ours.

Enough about our stuff though. Just browsing the thread and there seems to be an awful lot of comparing Hughton and Potter. From an outsiders point of view and one who hasn't watched many of your games in full it seems like you're playing a little more on the front foot, it seems like you're playing with a bit more creativity?

What's next for you? Will you have a bit of money to spend in the summer? Will Potter get to change things up? Will you be expecting another season with the spectre of relegation looming large?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Geordie in peace here,

First off, congrats on staying up, you must have been fairly confident given the buffer you had, but it's good to be mathematically safe before the final day.

That was one of the worst games of football I've watched in years. Our lot were on the beach from the off, but some bizarre selection choices made a dead rubber deader and more rubbery. When your best attacking player is knackered and recovering from a calf twinge, why bother playing him for the majority of the game? Why not start the lad you've got on loan who's done ok in his place? Why shoe horn a right back into the centre instead of the young promising centreback you had on the bench?

Bruce is out of his depth in the Premier League and although we've survived so much of that has to be because of good fortune in front of their goal and a good 'keeper in front of ours.

Enough about our stuff though. Just browsing the thread and there seems to be an awful lot of comparing Hughton and Potter. From an outsiders point of view and one who hasn't watched many of your games in full it seems like you're playing a little more on the front foot, it seems like you're playing with a bit more creativity?

What's next for you? Will you have a bit of money to spend in the summer? Will Potter get to change things up? Will you be expecting another season with the spectre of relegation looming large?

Painful wasn't it. The schedule must have finally taken its toll because we played with the least intensity I have seen all year. Completely different side to some of our early season performances having a go at teams and playing more fluid quick passing.

Next season we expect a number of changes, quite a few out, good loan prospects returning and a modest but fair budget for new signings without extending our wage cap significantly.

We'd like to think we'll be better equipped for a top half finish, but in reality over the course of the season we'll do well to stay up and compete in every game, as we have done this year bar Man City.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There's a full repeat on Sky Sports Premier League channel at 2.30 if anyone fancies reliving it :lolol:

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
Geordie in peace here,

In reality we'll likely be looking at bottom 6 again next season. Anything more would rely upon us going injury free and getting most, if not all, of our recruitment spot on and when you've got limited cash and options that's rarely the case. In terms of style, we certainly started out playing more expansive stuff. We've had to change a bit of late as we went on an awful run pre-lockdown and have got better at Hughton-esque grinding out results recently.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Geordie in peace here,

How is Bruce out of his depth ? Could he of got more from the squad of players you have ? I'm not sure, staying up with ease and arguably more exciting than Rafa. Not sure what more you want ?

Agree on the quality , one of the worst games I've seen live. Awful

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Don’t agree with you there old chap...
Don’t go getting us lifelong Brighton fans all excited because we are playing a premier league match......We were safe

So to round it all up.
When my team are playing a competitive match against a fellow Premier League side I expect damn more than that from my team, sorry. Experiment with a debutante if you want but at least look like you want to win.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
How is Bruce out of his depth ? Could he of got more from the squad of players you have ? I'm not sure, staying up with ease and arguably more exciting than Rafa. Not sure what more you want ?

Agree on the quality , one of the worst games I've seen live. Awful

Could he? No. Could someone else? Yes, somebody else definitely could have got more out of the players we have. We've 4-5 midtable-or-better Premier League Centre Backs and a top quality 'keeper. We had been very good at the back in previous seasons, but this term we were flipping awful.
We've two dynamic attacking midfielders in Almiron and ASM who can carry the ball at pace and trouble the majority of defences. Yet for the majority of the season we had their starting positions well within our half, meaning they'd have to beat 3-4 men every time we attacked.
We've decent players at CM but odd combinations meant we either had no endeavor and bite, or no creativity and craft.

Bruce played, for most games, a passive deep block, an isolated striker (who has never in his life been a target man) and no central attacking midfielder to link the play.
I've been told it was more exciting than Benitez' football by neutrals, but it honestly wasn't. Don't get me wrong, RB's stuff could be boring as ****, but at least after the game we could walk from the ground with a point, or a good defensive performance. Bruce's football is both bad, and boring, on the whole. I know we had an uptick in form after the restart, but that little run seems to have obliterated the memory of just how bad we were pre-lockdown. Even now we've scored fewer goals, conceded more and have roughly the same points as RB's last two seasons.

4 League wins since Boxing Day. 5 losses by 3+ goals, 1 win by the same margin.
Only 3 teams have scored fewer, only 6 have conceded more. Our 'keeper has had to make more saves than any other, and our £40m forward has 2 goals.

I couldn't think of a single PL club who would have employed Bruce as manager at the start of the season. Can't imagine many would take a punt on him now that it's all but done. Watford? Maybe?

He's shite.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's shite.
No he isn't. Steve Bruce is competent, you just don't happen to rate him that highly. For a merry-go-round manager, Steve Bruce's managerial record stands up pretty much everywhere he's been, much like Sam Allardyce.

If you want a shite merry-go-round manager there are plenty to choose from, but for me Alan Pardew gets the nod - well ahead of Harry Redknapp, Mark Hughes and David Moyes. I have no idea how Pardew remains (or remained) in football at the highest level for so long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here