Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
There’s absolutely no chance he will be playing until the Newcastle game at the earliest which is the first past the bail expiry

He’s being back by the club being on the bench but they are in a difficult position if he plays whilst it’s outstanding.
Exactly.

I think Potter maybe regretting allowing Caciedo to go out on loan. We are definitely short in defensive midfield. And I think it is noticeable without Webster at the back who also steps out into Midfield when needed.
Hopefully Webster will be back for Liverpool and Mwepu will start

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This is the huge elephant in the room. Without Biss they cut us to pieces in the midfield with their quick breaks. ( But no-one on Sky or anywhere else is commenting that he is not getting game time). Potter would be normally be playing him in a game like that even if he were not fully fit.

I was on an American stream - they were talking about it relatively openly. 'Incident in a night-club', 'not yet back, probably due to his off-field issues' and other similar comments.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
If the second half had have been a replay of the first, we'd have left miserable.

Citeh, eased off and we stepped up. We were entertained so walked away unusually upbeat despise the loss.

I hope our no 8 becomes 'properly' available soon.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Regarding Bissouma at least his absence shows how important he and his role is to the team so if we weren't before we really need to make sure that we have it covered next year whether he is still with us or not.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We got what we deserved. Some of the goals may have been questionable in the first half, but they were all over us.

Second half, we were much better, but they could afford to relax.

I think we set up wrong in the first half and Maupay was off the boil with too many errors. When we put another body in midfield we had more of a chance, but by then then game had gone. My amateur view.

Ah well, learn and move on.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Oh well.... that’s football, win some- lose some.
Despite my contempt for their club, I must agree that the City team were good value for their win.
Truth is we have not played well in the last two or three games , until second half yesterday. The addition of Lamptey and Mwepu seemed to make a difference.
Beats me how we are still fourth , and a worst case after today would put us sixth. Unbelievable!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
If we’re going to deploy a back 4 then realistically the centre back pairing needs to be:
1- Dunk and Webster
2- Dunk and Duffy
3- Dunk and Veltman
4- Webster and Veltman

After that we need to be playing a 3 as we have too many deficiencies to hide.

It’s glaringly obvious that we don’t have (in the current squad) a proper Bissouma replacement, which is understandable considering how bloody good he is. Lallana is playing like an end of career Gerrard, but he needs energy alongside him, I love Pascal but he’s way too immobile for that role.

I was very encouraged by Mwepu’s cameo, looked far more suited playing box to box rather being a DM.

There was lots to enjoy about last night’s 2nd half, Kevin Friend did magnificently well to create an atmosphere and lose control of a game that was done and dusted after 31 minutes.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've slept on this opinion, but I still have it now, so here goes.

Despite City being very good, we lost that first half rather than them winning it. Going with two CBs and two slow CMs made us wide open and we played the offside trap incredibly poorly (the lino on the East side was vilified, yet proved right by VAR). No pace at all in our spine and City hate pace, as could be seen when we belatedly introduced Lamptey and Mwepu.

How Dunk got MOTM I've no idea. Great clearance off the line but otherwise riddled with errors all game.

However - having gone for a beer on 41 minutes with a shrug, and having discussed in the extended HT break I had about how we'd be lucky to keep it below 6, we came back out a different side and showed what would have been possible from the start had we got the team selection right.

No wonder Potter can split the jury at times. A stinker of a first half and a gold medal second.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Despite City being very good, we lost that first half rather than them winning it. Going with two CBs and two incredibly slow CMs made us wide open and we played the offside trap incredibly poorly (the lino on the East side was vilified, yet proved right by VAR). No pace at all in our spine and City hate pace, as could be seen when we belatedly introduced Lamptey and Mwepu.

How Dunk got MOTM I've no idea. Great clearance off the line but otherwise riddled with errors all game.

However - having gone for a beer on 41 minutes with a shrug, and having discussed in the extended HT break I had about how we'd be lucky to keep it below 6, we came back out a different side and showed what would have been possible from the start had we got the team selection right.

No wonder Potter can split the jury at times. A stinker of a first half and a gold medal second.

Lallana apart, I thought Dunk was okay other than the goal, in the first half.

City were great, and it looked like we’d been worked out in terms of our style. Gross was forced very deep but at times, Trossard and Maupay were stationary, Moder offered no angle either.

Second half we played with a different tempo, and when Maupay was removed we looked even stronger with a ‘false 9’, that was a great move by GP, and maybe the way to go.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Lallana apart, I thought Dunk was okay other than the goal, in the first half.

City were great, and it looked like we’d been worked out in terms of our style. Gross was forced very deep but at times, Trossard and Maupay were stationary, Moder offered no angle either.

Second half we played with a different tempo, and when Maupay was removed we looked even stronger with a ‘false 9’, that was a great move by GP, and maybe the way to go.

With Welbz injured it might be in some games. City certainly didn't look toothless for a side with no real striker. My one issue with it is there were a couple of times when Cucurella had acres of space on the left to get a cross in and no one in the box.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
With Welbz injured it might be in some games. City certainly didn't look toothless for a side with no real striker. My one issue with it is there were a couple of times when Cucurella had acres of space on the left to get a cross in and no one in the box.

That was throughout though, my issue with Maupay remains the runs he makes, Murray used to often go near post, whereas Maupay rarely seems to be in that position, and with the others often nowhere near, he is isolated, and it may explain why Gross and Trossard always look to cut the ball back towards the penalty spot.

I think without Maupay the others took the initiative more. Probably unpopular, but I thought Cucurella’s decision making was poor yesterday.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Agreed, on numerous occasions I was saying - get a good cross in - but there was nobody in there as we have the pace on the wings but no pace or height in the middle to support that.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agreed, on numerous occasions I was saying - get a good cross in - but there was nobody in there as we have the pace on the wings but no pace or height in the middle to support that.

Are you suggesting we've been missing a decent striker for 3 or 4 years ( that's being generous) :rolleyes:

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

My take is without Biss we are having to put an extra player in midfield to compensate and yesterday again that left just Maupay and Trossard isolated against the whole city defence (compounded by our lack of pacy wide players).

Second half we got more numbers and energy in the middle and also pace down the flanks with the introduction of Lamptey and pushing March further on. This allowed much more movement and options in the final third which was just not possible in the first half.

City are not a team you sit back and let onto you as they have the quality to play through you easily which is we looked much better second half when we had the players to take the game up the pitch

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My take is without Biss we are having to put an extra player in midfield to compensate and yesterday again that left just Maupay and Trossard isolated against the whole city defence (compounded by our lack of pacy wide players).

Second half we got more numbers and energy in the middle and also pace down the flanks with the introduction of Lamptey and pushing March further on. This allowed much more movement and options in the final third which was just not possible in the first half.

City are not a team you sit back and let onto you as they have the quality to play through you easily which is we looked much better second half when we had the players to take the game up the pitch

Biss does so much breaking up of play…….Lallana, Moder and Groß between them don’t do as much, and Lallana doesn’t get the same kind of freedom to use his vision to start attacks without Biss covering behind him. It’s a big loss.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham

Despite City being very good, we lost that first half rather than them winning it. Going with two CBs and two slow CMs made us wide open and we played the offside trap incredibly poorly (the lino on the East side was vilified, yet proved right by VAR). No pace at all in our spine and City hate pace, as could be seen when we belatedly introduced Lamptey and Mwepu.

I think you are being a bit harsh on Dunk, yes he made mistakes but you need to take into account he was basically our only central defender against Man City. That must be a frightening prospect so the fact he stood up and tried to hold a line takes some effort. I still have no idea where Dan Burn was actually playing.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here