Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester City *** Official Match Thread ***

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
did that individual decision really matter?
lets be honest football is about mistakes, the more you make the more opportunities the opposition have, the better the opposition the more mistakes they are going to punish!!!

You're right its not about the individual mistake but we do have a team ethos where the ball seems to go back when it should be going forward. lobbing the ball back into your own penalty box was crazy but others did similar passes.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You're right its not about the individual mistake but we do have a team ethos where the ball seems to go back when it should be going forward. lobbing the ball back into your own penalty box was crazy but others did similar passes.

Playing it backwards or sidewards is often the best chance of creating danger in the opposing half. If you play it up front immediatly each time you will often only have 4 or 5 players on their half while they have 9 or 10, so you are playing 4vs9 once you get it up there. If you circulate it at the back while occasionally trying to indicate you are about to attack, they will eventually come up to pressure you with 4 or 5 players and if you play past that you have something like a 4v5 on their half which is just endlessly easier to do.

A lot of times when you play against a team like Liverpool or City, you can just ignore that part and just play it above their first pressure (like in the game against Liverpool this year when pretty much every ball from the back went to BDBs head). Unfortunately with Welbeck out and the way this City side is complete even in the defensive departments, that option isnt there. If you play it long you most often just lose the ball, so in order to do anything against them you have to do it the hard way. And its likely to fail because you have to be perfect, but it might be your best shot at getting something.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Brilliant second half performance. Mwepu and Lamptey were a breath of fresh air when they came on and totally changed the game. Shame the damage was already done. Awful first half and an appalling performance from that wanker Friend. Not looking forward to Liverpool away.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Feels like if we'd been a bit better defensively there was something in that game for us with the way we came out second half, but alas not to be. Can't really complain against a billion petrodollar super club, wopuld have probably taken 4-1 when the third went in as could have been a cricket score (and like a decent team's score, not a Sussex one).

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn

Its about creating space, draw the opposition in and the use the space to play through, it may/will work against lesser opposition but City have the players who will punish even the smallest error

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Is Biss being placed on the naughty step? in the squad so obviously fit but again not involved.
This is the huge elephant in the room. Without Biss they cut us to pieces in the midfield with their quick breaks. ( But no-one on Sky or anywhere else is commenting that he is not getting game time). Potter would be normally be playing him in a game like that even if he were not fully fit.
Fwiw, I don't think he should be playing at the moment, and it seems that keeping on the bench and not playing him must be club policy.
I hope that Gross and Lallana are split up for Liverpool and Mwepu comes in for one of them, so we can compete a little better next week

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
This is the huge elephant in the room. Without Biss they cut us to pieces in the midfield with their quick breaks. ( But no-one on Sky or anywhere else is commenting that he is not getting game time). Potter would be normally be playing him in a game like that even if he were not fully fit.
Fwiw, I don't think he should be playing at the moment, and it seems that keeping on the bench and not playing him must be club policy.
I hope that Gross and Lallana are split up for Liverpool and Mwepu comes in for one of them, so we can compete a little better next week

I think there is double trouble with this issue, 1 with the opposing supporters and 2, with his own head space, a situation that has to be well managed. I trust GP to know his players

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Playing it backwards or sidewards is often the best chance of creating danger in the opposing half. If you play it up front immediatly each time you will often only have 4 or 5 players on their half while they have 9 or 10, so you are playing 4vs9 once you get it up there. If you circulate it at the back while occasionally trying to indicate you are about to attack, they will eventually come up to pressure you with 4 or 5 players and if you play past that you have something like a 4v5 on their half which is just endlessly easier to do.

A lot of times when you play against a team like Liverpool or City, you can just ignore that part and just play it above their first pressure (like in the game against Liverpool this year when pretty much every ball from the back went to BDBs head). Unfortunately with Welbeck out and the way this City side is complete even in the defensive departments, that option isnt there. If you play it long you most often just lose the ball, so in order to do anything against them you have to do it the hard way. And its likely to fail because you have to be perfect, but it might be your best shot at getting something.

Totally understand that but lobbing the ball back into your 18 yard box ? The easiest ball was to punt it out and waste 30 secs, the best and second easiest was to slip it forward to the players waiting . The hardest and most dangerous was the option chosen . Personal view is that we play too many balls back , Gross being the biggest contributor and we are slow to get it forward , that does not mean lump it forward each time but currently too many square or backward balls. All a matter of opinion. Also would prefer to see Dunk take the ball forward more , again not every time but he is capable of doing that especially now that White has gone and Webster is out.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Just back.

Not saying we’d have won but GP definitely got the team wrong. It’s very rare to see a centre half get subbed but Burn looked totally out of his depth to me. And they couldn’t handle Lamptey when he came on.

Biggest miss was Bissouma though. He was unbelievable when we played at the Amex last season . We’re going to struggle without our best player….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They were great, but……

All of their goals were a result of our errors.

Kevin Friend is just shocking

Oh and Foden and Silva are wonderful to watch

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Potter picked the wrong team , the wrong tactics, and the wrong system , got better in the second half when the 2 subs came on .
But very disappointing first half , too many mistakes soft first goal ,

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Just back.

Not saying we’d have won but GP definitely got the team wrong. It’s very rare to see a centre half get subbed but Burn looked totally out of his depth to me. And they couldn’t handle Lamptey when he came on.

Biggest miss was Bissouma though. He was unbelievable when we played at the Amex last season . We’re going to struggle without our best player….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In the concourse when the team came out we all agreed we were in for a harder afternoon that we already had with that lack of energy in midfield. The hardest thing about not having Biss is it takes at least two other players for us to show anywhere near the same levels of dominance in the middle which is always at the expense of an attacking option (why Maupay has been so quiet of late).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I agree, Biss would have made the difference, and maybe he will vs Liverpool . . . But, like Lamptey and Webster, we have superb players who need to come back and stay back, given we have 2 'free hit' games there's no rush. Moder is growing in every respect with game time. .

I was fully expecting a punch up or a pitch invasion when Lamptey got poleaxed . . . Man City are brilliant on their own terms, unstoppable, as they were in the first half . . . . But they don't like it up 'em. As we showed in the second half.

Edit. Veltman owned sock boy, to see him clattered then subbed just made my evening.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was out while the match was on so had to keep checking internet but was relieved to see we got one. One consolation? At least I’m not a Norwich fan tonight. That was a drubbing. And I like Norwich. The club and the fans. Can’t stand Chelsea.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
There’s absolutely no chance he will be playing until the Newcastle game at the earliest which is the first past the bail expiry

He’s being back by the club being on the bench but they are in a difficult position if he plays whilst it’s outstanding.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Its a game of mistakes, they are done everywhere on the pitch for 90 minutes. To force more of them and punish the mistakes is what separates teams. It wont be cut out, any time you see a goal scored for or against Brighton you can look at someone and say "did a mistake".

Facile. Sorry

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here