Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Leicester City *** Official Match Thread ***

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Really frustrating. Of course, Leicester are a top team with some superb players. But after the first 20 minutes I thought the game evened up by the break and in the first 15 minutes of the second half we were on top. To then give away the goal that we did was, to put it politely, naive. To put it less politely, totally embarrassing at this level. Leicester have to be the most deadly counter attacking team in the country and in Vardy they have the best counter attacking striker out there. It shouldn’t require a genius to know they’re a massive threat when we lose the ball. So why the bloody hell did we decide to leave Montoya as our only man back against Vardy from our own corner? I would suggest we should have been leaving THREE back to deal with him in that situation. Not one, and certainly not one as slow as Montoya. An amateur move that cost us, because from 0-1 we had no chance of getting back into it against a team as good as Leicester. If ever a game will show us how good Dunk is, this was it, but it could have been so different. I think we’d done the hard work in the first half so to throw it away like we did is so annoying.

This, knowledgeable.

The players left back are always a very pacey pairing. Typically a CM and a defender both with pace. Chelsea just to use one example leave Kante and Tomori back, marking a lone Vardy or Salah or Aguero. It’s the natural defensive tactic. Never a snail like MM .... until today.

It’s as good as gifting goals.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I have thought in the past that he should start but after today am having my doubts. Every clearance went into the east or west stand and even his headers were poor. Everybody is entitled to have a bad game occasionally and this was his. Would be a different player with Dunk next to him rather than Webster or Burn.

i see.

are you sure you were a scout?

maybe you're confusing yourself with someone else?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly. Pace is the key to defending a counter attack. You don’t actually have to tackle the player with the ball, you just have to surround him and steer him away from goal, so it doesn’t necessarily need to be a defender. Someone like March would probably be a good bet, Montoya as part of a duo or trio would be fine too. Maybe even Propper as he’s a very clever player. My point is that we don’t have a single player capable of stopping Vardy 1v1. Vardy is immense in that situation. We had to leave two or three back. I thought that was a really basic error that arguably cost us the game. At 0-0 and with momentum swinging our way, we were on track for a result.

44 years of watching the Albion and longer than that for all football, it’s always been the way. Two marking the lone counter attacker near the centre circle, CB’s up to try and score, leaving two players (at least one having pace) back.

It’s text book, it works.

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
Really frustrating. Of course, Leicester are a top team with some superb players. But after the first 20 minutes I thought the game evened up by the break and in the first 15 minutes of the second half we were on top. To then give away the goal that we did was, to put it politely, naive. To put it less politely, totally embarrassing at this level. Leicester have to be the most deadly counter attacking team in the country and in Vardy they have the best counter attacking striker out there. It shouldn’t require a genius to know they’re a massive threat when we lose the ball. So why the bloody hell did we decide to leave Montoya as our only man back against Vardy from our own corner? I would suggest we should have been leaving THREE back to deal with him in that situation. Not one, and certainly not one as slow as Montoya. An amateur move that cost us, because from 0-1 we had no chance of getting back into it against a team as good as Leicester. If ever a game will show us how good Dunk is, this was it, but it could have been so different. I think we’d done the hard work in the first half so to throw it away like we did is so annoying.
Montoya slow - come on that is just ridiculous.

Sent from my Power using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

He’s not slow, but the point is Vardy is quicker.

Excellent post

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

MM has not got decent pace when defending. Redmond (twice), McNeil, Fraser, Rashford, James have all torn him apart in the last 12 months, to name just a few.

His strength, when he’s on form, is he’s good in attack with the ball, creative.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Same weather same end same feckin Vardy

3A275065-FC5A-485C-932E-F3196128D0F9.jpeg
E604EF6A-2DF8-45CD-897E-D70FEFBD23F7.jpeg
6F2D6F5C-7815-4208-8EF0-B85D11BF2C83.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. A lot of full backs are so quick that they can recover even if they are beaten by an attacker. Montoya is not one of them. He needs a good right sided central defender to cover the space in behind him.

But we knew that before today so leaving him back v Vardy was a tactical error. It wasn’t Montoya’s fault in any way.

Exactly. Following incredibly naive instructions.

Potter’s young and intelligent, I truly hope he adapts and learns on such details.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed. A lot of full backs are so quick that they can recover even if they are beaten by an attacker. Montoya is not one of them. He needs a good right sided central defender to cover the space in behind him.

But we knew that before today so leaving him back v Vardy was a tactical error. It wasn’t Montoya’s fault in any way.
Agreed some mistakes were made today - particularly having ten players in their half for that corner that they scored from. Doesn't mean we're rubbish at defending though - there's plenty of teams in the PL who would love to have only conceded 19 goals this season!

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Jesus. Can't believe the negativity on here. Leicester are 2nd in the PL and Vardy is the top scorer.

Yes we got out played today, but I enjoyed it FAR more than any of the games in the second half of last season.

Yes we made mistakes, Potter and individual players, yes we were naive on some tactics. But we gave it a go.

We are a work in progress. If we weren't, we'd be 2nd and have the top scorer.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I have taken on board what you have said and i don't agree with you. Man management skills ? We have no idea do we ? The players seem happy enough.

On the flip side we have a striker who asked to leave. Duffy who wasn't very happy at being dropped for either Webster or Burn. I can see him handing in a transfer request if it continues. He is to good to be sitting on a bench

The positives are the young players he has given a chance,

At the end of the day it's all about points. Something that we are going to learn the hard way. I have very little faith in Potter and that 2nd goal about sums him up.

He's been in charge for 13 games. 13 games! Give the man a chance, ffs. We're not stranded at the bottom of the table and we've played some of the best football I've ever seen us play in his short spell in charge in spells (was only just born early 80s!).

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I have taken on board what you have said and i don't agree with you. Man management skills ? We have no idea do we ? The players seem happy enough.

On the flip side we have a striker who asked to leave. Duffy who wasn't very happy at being dropped for either Webster or Burn. I can see him handing in a transfer request if it continues. He is to good to be sitting on a bench

The positives are the young players he has given a chance,

At the end of the day it's all about points. Something that we are going to learn the hard way. I have very little faith in Potter and that 2nd goal about sums him up.

so who would you replace potter with?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Jesus. Can't believe the negativity on here. Leicester are 2nd in the PL and Vardy is the top scorer.

Yes we got out played today, but I enjoyed it FAR more than any of the games in the second half of last season.

Yes we made mistakes, Potter and individual players, yes we were naive on some tactics. But we gave it a go.

We are a work in progress. If we weren't, we'd be 2nd and have the top scorer.
I still felt we were in the game and in with a chance of scoring deep into the second half. Leicester are a really good side. We simply don't have the right players to compete but I think we have the right manager. Only a couple of seasons will tell. Unless he moves to a club where the players are already in place.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I still felt we were in the game and in with a chance of scoring deep into the second half. Leicester are a really good side. We simply don't have the right players to compete but I think we have the right manager. Only a couple of seasons will tell. Unless he moves to a club where the players are already in place.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

we are a couple of quality players short of a very good side , we give possession away far too easily.....we are persisting with a player that is just not up to this level at this point in his career....we gave them a really good run for their money early in the second half but really never created more than half chances , 2 to Shane and 1 to Maupay......i really don't like Mike Dean , such a ****ing show pony.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here