Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Crawley Town *** Official Match Thread ***

Javeaseagull

NSC Patron
Feb 22, 2014
First thoughts this morning were “Thank f*** Fab decided to play the second eleven!” I was a bit worried when I saw eleven changes but as usual Fab knows best. Bit of a jolt remembering we used to watch football like that every week. Still, 4 nil and we move on, Bastards!

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Not trying to hammer anyone London Irish. I was just a little surprised at how quiet people were. Having said that, it probably wasn't the usual crowd and it was nice to be closer to the action.
I sat on the halfway line towards the back of East Lower, away from my normal North Shelf seat, and was shocked, SHOCKED, at the quietitude.

My party of 4 were the only people anywhere near us trying to join in chants - even Albion Albion and SEEEEEEAAAAAAGGGGUUUUUULLLLLLLSSSSS.

A very poor show.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We’ve moved from behind the goal in the North to West Upper and it’s just a totally different experience. You can’t really see the game in the North, or what’s going on tactically. But the atmosphere is the best in the stadium. West Upper has some atmosphere, but if you’re sitting there it’s to get the best view of the football, and all the tactical going’s on that happen.
Agreed, and I get around the fact that the atmosphere is better in the North than the WSU by going to away games, where the atmosphere is for the most part fantastic.
Last night sat in WSL not too far away from FH so got to see him in action, berating the fourth official for some of their strong-arm tactics, although Crofts dispensed the club verdict to Lyndsey at full-time.
The most noticeable feature of the coaching team is Herr Knoop who pops up dramatically whenever there's a defensive set-piece:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Crofts and Lindsey know each other and talk football with eachother, Maybe not friends, but friendly, at least they were.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
I sat on the halfway line towards the back of East Lower, away from my normal North Shelf seat, and was shocked, SHOCKED, at the quietitude.

My party of 4 were the only people anywhere near us trying to join in chants - even Albion Albion and SEEEEEEAAAAAAGGGGUUUUUULLLLLLLSSSSS.

A very poor show.
If the away fans do move to the Southeast corner, maybe it'll wake the East Stand up? Having said that, based on last night, perhaps not. We'll need singers in the South. I can't imagine being sat next to away fans, being goaded all game and not feeling able to respond with a counter chant. We shall wait and see.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I sat in the North for the first time for a few years and I have to say the North were not very good at singing - every time a chant started up on one side, the other side joined in about three lines later and continued the chant in their own timing, ignoring that of the other side. I thought the North was supposed to be the home end and the generator of a wall of sound (???) - well it isn't.

Not trying to hammer anyone London Irish. I was just a little surprised at how quiet people were. Having said that, it probably wasn't the usual crowd and it was nice to be closer to the action.
Yup. My point was I've wondered if there is an acoustics issue at the stadium, I think there might be. It's mad not to be able to hear the North Stand from the East Stand halfway line

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I wasn't bothered by the lack of atmosphere given it was like a fooking creche in most parts of the stadium and loads of casual fans that don't normally go to games as well, there were literally dozens of kids near me in WL1 not remotely interested in the match

Professor Plum

Jul 27, 2024
Yup. My point was I've wondered if there is an acoustics issue at the stadium, I think there might be. It's mad not to be able to hear the North Stand from the East Stand halfway line
I usually sit in EU halfway between the halfway line and the south stand. There are times when people here talk about the NS having been loud for a match when I’ve barely heard them all game. Last night I sat in EL closer to the north and was also struck by how loud the NS sounded at times. So I can understand away fans who complain about not hearing much from the NS. As has been said before, away fans are nearly always louder (both at the Amex and Albion fans when travelling). Main reasons are a) you get the more hardcore supporters going to away games and b) they’re often quite bevied up.

Another factor last night, certainly in the EL, was the large number of families with children. It’s school holidays and the tickets were cheap so I suspect there were a lot of occasional visitors and kids being taken for a treat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here