Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton hooliwankers

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Joseph Phillips, 47, of Springfield Road, Brighton; Lawrence Edwards, 21, of Loder Road, Brighton; Paul Grealish, 31, of Rutland Gardens, Hove; David Hammond, 39, of Merevale Road, Brighton; Darren Gahan, 39, of Kings Mews, Hove; Michael Bates, 38, of Havelock Road, Brighton; Richard Jeffrey, of Valley Drive, Brighton; and Ben Ripley, 34, of Walker Close, Eastbourne, all admitted violent disorder.

What the **ck is a 47 year old man doing in the thick of it?
What a knob. Isn't this just pathetic? Anyone who says hooligans only fight their own is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They've also put Martin Perry in the unenviable position of being asked to comment the actions of his 'fans'. I bet he was well chuffed.

I mean, it's not as if there's any bitter NIMBYS out there desperate for a stick to beat Brighton with over the Falmer decision...

Utter twats.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
know one of those lads vaguely and he's always seemed an alright lad, doesnt go to withdean but goes to alot of the big away games....how long did they each get in jail?

Sammy the seagull

Aug 10, 2005
Brighton
butchy said:
know one of those lads vaguely and he's always seemed an alright lad, doesnt go to withdean but goes to alot of the big away games....how long did they each get in jail?
Some of them got 15 months some got 3 years!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
DAMANCLAY said:
f***ing Tossers.

It's all very well calling them names, but they only pick fights with other hoolies, and spend the rest of their time helping old ladies cross the road, healing the sick and raising money for guide dogs for the bling.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
butchy said:

Richard Jeffrey is instantly recognisable to me but I can't pick where from.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Tooting Gull said:
They've also put Martin Perry in the unenviable position of being asked to comment the actions of his 'fans'.

Somehow I doubt that was at the forefront of their thinking on the night in question.

bailey

Sep 24, 2005
Seafront Brighton
Club Press Release from the official website

Albion bosses have welcomed the outcome of the trial of ten so-called football fans involved in disturbances in Brighton City Centre on the day of last season's Leeds United match.

The ten were guilty of violent disorder after an incident in the city centre on October 23 2004. In his summing up the judge said they had besmirched the football club's name in pursuit of their violent objectives and that custodial sentences are inevitable.

Chief Executive Martin Perry confirmed those involved will be banned from Albion games for life and said, "We welcome the verdict. These men have proved by their actions they are not supporters of the Albion. Indeed we have no record of the majority of those involved having ever been to a match at Withdean.

"We totally abhor any sort of violent or anti-social behaviour at any of our matches home or away. Indeed we have eradicated it entirely at Withdean.

"These are not Brighton and Hove Albion fans. They are people who have used the name of the club and the occasion of a match to perpetrate violence for their own gratification. With only one exception they had not been at the match. We utterly condemn their actions and congratulate Sussex Police on their successful prosecution.

"We consider the sentences appropriate for this type of anti-social behaviour. The court has banned them from attending football matches for a considerable time. They have no place in our football club. Not only will they not attend matches at Withdean, but we will make sure that they never go to a match at Falmer. We are banning them for life."

PC Darren Balkham, Football liaison officer for Sussex Police added, "I welcome the club's swift actions in relation to this matter. This type of incident is rare in Brighton and working in partnership with the club we will ensure that all details of anyone involved will be passed to the club for the appropriate action. We will continue our excellent relationship with the club to ensure watching football in Brighton is the family event it should be.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
butchy said:
how long did they each get in jail?

Darren Gahan, 39, of Third Avenue, Hove, and David Hammond, 39, of Merevale, Hollingdean, Brighton, were sentenced to two years; Michael Bates, 38, of Havelock Road, Brighton, was given 15 months; Benjamin Ripley, 34, of Walker Close, Eastbourne, and Joseph Phillips, 47, of Springfield Road, Brighton, got two-and-a-half years each; Paul Grealish, 31, of Rutland Gardens, Hove, was sentenced to three years; Laurence Edwards, 21, of Loder Road, and Richard Jeffrey, 28, of Valley Drive, both in Brighton, got 18 months.

Eddie the Seagull

Jul 6, 2003
Crowborough
I did hear that Falmer residents; Mr & Mrs Smythe-Smith were charged & sentenced to 12 hours Community Service for shooting a ducks head off.

It was later revealed that, it was, in fact, a MKII Ford Capri back-firing.

In his defence, Mr Smythe-Smith said;"I got worried when the guy said 'We're the Sweeney, get your knickers off, we're leaving' so I shot the ducks head clean off"

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here