Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Brighton Have Only Got One Pace, They're Easy To Play Against"

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Its true the style of play we play we need quick movement on and off the ball & we just dont do this we stop look around then pass same as the players they stand still until they know the ball is going to them

This - I'm sorry to say it but Barnes epitomoses this for me -I know he's playing out of position but he's too static for an advanced player. True, he's perfected the art of getting free kicks but that's about it at the moment

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
both barnes and waddle have absolutely awful records in their brief managerial stints

Chris Waddle, a 9 month stint with Burnley.

John Barnes, didn't even see through a season with Celtic when it is hard to get sacked from that job, not forgetting to mention his calamitous spell with Tranmere.

To giants when it comes to tactics, formations, managerial success and overall management.

andyconor

Nov 20, 2011
We are just so static off the ball and are afraid to come out of position just to receive the ball.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
John Barnes: "You can be slow or fast, but you must get to the line." (circa 1990)

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
John Barnes was judging us by his standards - to him, we would be easy to play against (remember he once waltzed past the entire Brazil first team to plonk the ball in the back of the net). But, yes, we are a bit one paced - but maybe Gus knows his stuff. Perhaps the players we've got haven't as yet got the ability to play that way if we try and do it any faster? We're moving up in the world - but we haven't suddenly become Barcelona overnight

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Incredibly true. And you know who quickened up the tempo of attacks? JFC. I know Navs is a better defensive minded player, and he might not be getting a game because of pressure etc, but JFC was fantastic in January. Navs has no creativity.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We have, in Navarro and Bridcutt, two defensively minded midfielders - neither of whom are playmakers.

Against Leicester - a team I thought were there for the taking - Bridcutt looked utterly devoid of ideas, even when half of the WSU were screaming at him to play the simple pass to Buckley. He would then dither and get closed down. It was very frustrating.

We are capable of occasional bouts of effective quick-ping passing. We just don't do it anything like often enough.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We have, in Navarro and Bridcutt, two defensively minded midfielders - neither of whom are playmakers.

Against Leicester - a team I thought were there for the taking - Bridcutt looked utterly devoid of ideas, even when half of the WSU were screaming at him to play the simple pass to Buckley. He would then dither and get closed down. It was very frustrating.

We are capable of occasional bouts of effective quick-ping passing. We just don't do it anything like often enough.

I think thats why we have the two City players on loan.

They can inject some much needed, lets say FIZZ, into the team.

Currently its only Buckers and Lua Lua taking the game to the opposition.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
It's pretty easy to play against us if you have a fifty five million pound strike force.

Other teams haven't found it quite so easy, whether its Newcastle or Sunderland or every team we've played in the league this year.

Patronising rubbish, this is the best football Brighton have ever played in my whole life time.

Nearly as good as the early eighties,but not quite:albion2:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
John Barnes match comment summed it up really. It's the biggest single weakness in our game. And not just in the Cup. IMHO, like.

Still putting the boot into Poyet I see. You know, the one you said would be sacked by Christmas 2010.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
It's pretty easy to play against us if you have a fifty five million pound strike force.

Other teams haven't found it quite so easy, whether its Newcastle or Sunderland or every team we've played in the league this year.

Patronising rubbish, this is the best football Brighton have ever played in my whole life time.

In which case you must be under 20. Our team of the late 70's early 80's was much better. I even think our team that got to the playoff final in 91 was better.

As has been said elsewhere, we are too reliant upon tippy tappy, and have no cutting edge.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Have you returned to the point where you're considering offering Navs a seat in your car...?

Nah. Just not together in the team. Navs OR Bridders.

Bit like saying Casper OR Brezovan tho with that preferably neither but its too late now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here