Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"Brighton Have Only Got One Pace, They're Easy To Play Against"

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Comments were spot on. We pass it nicely but not quickly enough. Been saying that all season. We also lack drive in central midfield.

The trouble is, when we do try to pass quicker, most players are not up to the job. You only have to look at Vicente's control of the ball to see how far behind his technical ability the rest of our team are. Ok, the rest cannot all be as good as him, but they are lightyears behind. We should change our style of play to get the maximum out of the players we have. If/when we get to the Premiership, and can afford that quality of player, then maybe tippy tappy will be the answer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The trouble is, when we do try to pass quicker, most players are not up to the job. You only have to look at Vicente's control of the ball to see how far behind his technical ability the rest of our team are. Ok, the rest cannot all be as good as him, but they are lightyears behind. We should change our style of play to get the maximum out of the players we have. If/when we get to the Premiership, and can afford that quality of player, then maybe tippy tappy will be the answer.

No, the system works but needs faster, pacier players to play it, hence we are now getting Prem players on loan rather than bringing in Championship quality.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Exactly. Vicente's touch (as it should considering his pedigree) is so much better. We need to get him fit and on the ball as much as possible.

I am all for passing but since Gary Dicker got injured we have too often lacked the killer, cutting ball forward which compliments the tippy tappy stuff.

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Navarro and Bridcutt are essentially the same type of midfielder. We are never going to create enough with those two as our central midfield pairing.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
No, the system works but needs faster, pacier players to play it, hence we are now getting Prem players on loan rather than bringing in Championship quality.

I think your first word should be "yes", from the rest of your comment. You appear to be agreeing that we don't have the players, and it needs Premiership quality players to do so. The only difference is you are pointing out that we are getting some early to play in the Championship on loan. Loans are ok in the short term, but you cannot have more than five(?) and what about the rest?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think your first word should be "yes", from the rest of your comment. You appear to be agreeing that we don't have the players, and it needs Premiership quality players to do so. The only difference is you are pointing out that we are getting some early to play in the Championship on loan. Loans are ok in the short term, but you cannot have more than five(?) and what about the rest?

Our full backs are our weakness so we have got two full backs, who are probably available at the end of the season, so likely loans to buy. On another thread posters have named 5 players who could get into premiership squads so good enough for this season. My predicition before the start of the season was top ten, so I am happy with where we are at present. I'm sure we will strengthen in the summer.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I'd say that Gus is still looking for - and trying to attract - the right sort of players who can play the fast, zippy football required.

It's coming, but to paraphrase U2 - he still hasn't found what he's looking for.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Our full backs are our weakness so we have got two full backs, who are probably available at the end of the season, so likely loans to buy. On another thread posters have named 5 players who could get into premiership squads so good enough for this season. My predicition before the start of the season was top ten, so I am happy with where we are at present. I'm sure we will strengthen in the summer.

A season - I believe is the phrase - of consolidation.

As long as we're progressing, and being seen to progress, this will make us more attractive to potential incoming players.

Ninth in the Championship, while still not firing on all cylinders, is I'd say, progress.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'd say that Gus is still looking for - and trying to attract - the right sort of players who can play the fast, zippy football required.

It's coming, but to paraphrase U2 - he still hasn't found what he's looking for.

For once big fella, I find myself agreeing with you. The only thing is, that I feel he needs to adopt a more pragmatic approach whilst he is still looking for what he wants. Also, to be realistic, can the Club afford that quality of player at the moment, or is that the real reason why Gus cannot get them?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barcelona only have one pace - it's about twice as fast as ours currently. Our pace will improve, slowly but surely. The style of play WILL NOT CHANGE.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
For once big fella, I find myself agreeing with you. The only thing is, that I feel he needs to adopt a more pragmatic approach whilst he is still looking for what he wants. Also, to be realistic, can the Club afford that quality of player at the moment, or is that the real reason why Gus cannot get them?

Cost is always an issue. But they've got to want to come here, as well.

Thankfully, as the Spanish say, Gus has 'labia'.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
We're doing pretty well for a team that's easy to play against. Beaten Newcastle and Sunderland and a couple of points off the play-offs.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Cost is always an issue. But they've got to want to come here, as well.

Thankfully, as the Spanish say, Gus has 'labia'.

Obviously, players are all individuals, but I doubt the problem is still players not wishing to join us (as at Withdean) if the price is right. I guess at the end of the day it all comes down to money - for fees and wages. Hopefully, after a decent season, Gus will be able to work some magic and get a few more players to climb aboard the Gus Bus from choice.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
There's nothing wrong with playing to holding midfielders as long as the play in front of them is pulling the strings but Barnes is not that man.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
So easy to knock someone while they are down. Liverpool are class and proved far better than us. We are competitive in the Championship and are at the moment a Championship side, no more no less.

Yes we move the ball slowly but Gus is addressing this by bringing in Premiership players on loan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here